Virtue and Moir capture second Olympic gold | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Virtue and Moir capture second Olympic gold

IceCastles1814v

Rinkside
Are you joking?:laugh::palmf:
You all here start topic about what Cizeron and Papadakis said WRONG, not good and not a lot enough about v/M not considering which kind of stuff Scott and Tessa said earlier. It is not like you said, why are you talking like that? you start whining about what they said wrong while all those years Scott with his big ego talked too much . So maybe you with Matt.k should give a pass to P.C and let them talk freely when Scott many years back SPOKE HIS MIND ,without any problems and he didnt received any critism from you and you didnt seem to bother

Maybe you should read my post again. I did not criticize any skaters for speaking their mind. I criticized FANS for having double standards as you just proved.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
This is what I am arguing: there are two ways to get a costume violation. Either a piece falls on the floor or the costume is deemed inappropriate. PC did not get a violation, so saying the costume cost them is untrue. If it affected their performance, there is no way to quantify that.

Actually, yes. A little bit less on twizzles (not very significant), but when she held back the dress into the PSt, it was during her double twizzle, and she wobbled enough not to get level 4, the rest was very clean. So that is 1.5 point less - without counting GOEs on that PSt (knowing that they ofte received the maximum in the past).

Of course, a wardrobe malfunction was not going to cost them deductions. You're 1 milimeter away from exposing yourself, why would anyone want to put you down even more ? It happened twice at these Olympics, and nobody should have to choose between losing 5 points for stopping (!!) and dignity. Hopefully ISU might take action. Well, one can dream :angry2:

IceCastles1814v

Rinkside
Actually, yes. A little bit less on twizzles (not very significant), but when she held back the dress into the PSt, it was during her double twizzle, and she wobbled enough not to get level 4, the rest was very clean. So that is 1.5 point less - without counting GOEs on that PSt (knowing that they ofte received the maximum in the past).

Of course, a wardrobe malfunction was not going to cost them deductions. You're 1 milimeter away from exposing yourself, why would anyone want to put you down even more ? It happened twice at these Olympics, and nobody should have to choose between losing 5 points for stopping (!!) and dignity. Hopefully ISU might take action. Well, one can dream :angry2:

Yes, the other couple got the deduction IIRC. Yes, Gabby wobbled on one part of her twizzle and it got downgraded, but as you say they other parts of the twirled sequence were clean. I see it all as part of the competition. Saying the costume cost them is still a cop out to me (it's part of the competition to secure your costume) and is disrespectful to the other competitors. I am not unsympathetic to it on the personal side, but on the competitive side it is what it is, IMO.

lyndichee

Medalist
Yep this argument is getting nowhere. Probably time to close this thread.

Maybe I've been asleep the past few months, but that is definitely a proposed change I would love to see. Skaters shouldn't have choose between points and losing their dignity.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Yes, the other couple got the deduction IIRC. Yes, Gabby wobbled on one part of her twizzle and it got downgraded, but as you say they other parts of the twirled sequence were clean. I see it all as part of the competition. Saying the costume cost them is still a cop out to me (it's part of the competition to secure your costume) and is disrespectful to the other competitors. I am not unsympathetic to it on the personal side, but on the competitive side it is what it is, IMO.

Of course we can go in circles about this, but holding your dress not to fall while twizzling makes it hard. But that's fine, P/C said themselves that this is sport, it is a part of it, no matter how annoying it can be that it happenned at the wrong moment.
Yura and Alexander did not get any deductions for their incident either, as it should be.

lyndichee

Medalist

To be clear I 100% prefer V/M and was happy they won.

But I think it is fair to say that had the costume not malfunctioned, there existed the possibility that the result would have been different. That is not disrespectful.

Given that both of you (IceCastles1814 and GoldenBoy) have joined the forum fairly recently and your posts seem to be revolving around arguing pedantics in here, I really encourage you guys to think about how you actually want to contribute to the discussion here.

IceCastles1814v

Rinkside

But I think it is fair to say that had the costume not malfunctioned, there existed the possibility that the result would have been different. That is not disrespectful.

Given that both of you (IceCastles1814 and GoldenBoy) have joined the forum fairly recently and your posts seem to be revolving around arguing pedantics in here, I really encourage you guys to think about how you actually want to contribute to the discussion here.

It may be fair in general to say, but I think it's also true that its been framed by some as a way to dismiss VMs win.

As to the rest, I don't know if you can look up history of names, but I was previously IceCastles1814 but am locked out of that account which I opened years ago, but had not posted for awhile. So, I am not new, but I am not trying to stir anyone up, sorry if that is what it seems. I only post when I have something to say.

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Many posts disappear when they quote a troll or quote a bad post. And when many posts disappear, it takes a while to get a consensus on all of them. If you quoted a post, check what happened to the post you quoted. If it is not there, that is why yours disappeared. This thread had 8 rapid fire bad posts from one poster, who is now banned again.

These trollish posts caused predictable reactions. People replied instead of reporting. And this is why you should report a bad post rather than replying to it: your post, even if reasonable, will disappear too.

Some posts which did not quote the troll or another bad post will reappear, others will receive infractions and stay invisible.

Please be patient while we finish sorting things out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

It is sad we are rehashing this and I too am getting drawn in. The problem in saying the costume issue with Gabby forget about whose fault it is - ie the skaterfor not checking versus bad luck versus someone ie running on the ice and hacking a strap - p/c had other issues but did not seem to get penalized or lower scores/credit. It can easily be argued separate from the costume malfunction the French were overmarked compared to Virtue and Moir. Had they been marked fairly the lead would have been even greater. But really it just doesn't matter;it's over. The olympics is finished. One can argue back and forth. Ialso think the suggestions on how to handle this. Well part of the problem is there are different reasons to stop and some are more sympathetic arguably than others.

When the Zhang's had that horrible fall in the olympics the human side felt sad for them and yet wanted them to skate well when they skated on. But the difference of them say versus a skater who gets on purposely hit on the knee or a skater accidentally crashes in to them at practice is that they created their "fall". They went for the quad and not only did they missed it but it intefered with the whole program. Now what happened to Gabby while not do an error or atleast as not a big an error as the Zhang's it was "unlucky" but the wardrobe issue was not caused by someone else trying to do something malicious. I was sad it happened but I think they were very lucky they did not get lower scores not just for the revealing of the breast but because it effected their skate but they did not seem to be penalized looking at past skates of this SD and comparatively to V and M who probably should have had a significantly bigger lead. Anyways I think the end result was fair.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We don't know exactly why the wardrobe mishap happened. Gaby never simply put on her costume---she always was sewed into the costume by a seamstress, who apparently didn't do such a good job on the most important occasion of the Olympics. Maybe the seamstress used the wrong thread, or didn't properly anchor the stitches, but the failure happened almost immediately after Gaby stepped out onto the ice. Once she realized her costume wasn't fastened properly, her attention was not 100% on skating the program to her best ability, but much of it was diverted to just keeping her costume from slipping off altogether. That had to affect PCS scores in addition to technical errors arising from posture changes needed to keep the costume in place.

Note that this costume had been sewn on Gaby by the seamstress all season and again at Worlds with never a failure. The lone failure happened at the Olympics.

lyndichee

Medalist
I am all for ISU implementing a new rule that skaters can have a pause in their program should their costume risk exposing themselves in a way where the person would lose their dignity. Gaby and Yura Min at the Olympics are great examples for this. I remember this also happened to Viktoria Helgesson at a GP event in the past as well. This thread is not the place to play what-if games.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
We don't know exactly why the wardrobe mishap happened. Gaby never simply put on her costume---she always was sewed into the costume by a seamstress, who apparently didn't do such a good job on the most important occasion of the Olympics. Maybe the seamstress used the wrong thread, or didn't properly anchor the stitches, but the failure happened almost immediately after Gaby stepped out onto the ice. Once she realized her costume wasn't fastened properly, her attention was not 100% on skating the program to her best ability, but much of it was diverted to just keeping her costume from slipping off altogether. That had to affect PCS scores in addition to technical errors arising from posture changes needed to keep the costume in place.

Note that this costume had been sewn on Gaby by the seamstress all season and again at Worlds with never a failure. The lone failure happened at the Olympics.

To me, a costume is part of equipment - to the same extent that their skates are equipment. If the equipment fails, it's unfortunate, but it is part of competition. They practice/compete with these costumes regularly, and while it's unfortunate for these things to happen at the Olympics it happens.

As IceRabbit said, on a personal level I feel bad for her, but from a competitive level it is what it is. The dress was a distraction, but there's no way of confirming without a doubt that they would have performed better had her dress stayed together. It was still their 3rd highest SD score of the season; they scored less on the Grand Prixs, and Europeans, and French Nationals. And frankly, their scores were rather high considering the distraction and it visibly affecting their skating.