Virtue and Moir capture second Olympic gold | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Virtue and Moir capture second Olympic gold

SNAKSuyun

did it spark joy?
On the Ice
Country
China
Full disclosure: I thought the Shibs' twizzles were better, I thought P/C's Moonlight was more classically elegant, but I came to love figure skating due to the emotions that could be unleashed on a pale, brittle, dangerously perilous canvas, and V/M had that in spades. They just kept gazing at each other, seeking reaching holding onto each other, repeating those lyrics of desperation and confession as they went along... perhaps there's no universal standard for what is beautiful in dance (or ice dance), but I love me some raw, fiery and earnest intensity, especially between athlete & artistic partners who have trained and fought with each other for decades.

... Yeah, I'll remember their program for many years to come.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Full disclosure: I thought the Shibs' twizzles were better, I thought P/C's Moonlight was more classically elegant, but I came to love figure skating due to the emotions that could be unleashed on a pale, brittle, dangerously perilous canvas, and V/M had that in spades. They just kept gazing at each other, seeking reaching holding onto each other, repeating those lyrics of desperation and confession as they went along... perhaps there's no universal standard for what is beautiful in dance (or ice dance), but I love me some raw, fiery and earnest intensity, especially between athlete & artistic partners who have trained and fought with each other for decades.

Yes!!!!

millie

Medalist
They may have a chance to have a skate off with Tessa an Scott in the future.. When asked about retirement today, they said that they haven’t made up their minds about what they are going to do. ..Hope they go to Worlds!

Capegirl33

Spectator
Hello, Gabrielle actually was commenting on getting deductions on wardrobe in interview. So, perhaps there's more to it? I find the French spend little time apart skating. There is no definition, they are not always on edge, in SD at Olympics some lifts were wobbly. Their facial expressions don't change. They are both tall and long legged, hence the speed with less need for steps, lengthened striding. That's just natural. There is nothing interesting, they are doing same lifts and sequences as years ago. Only now perhaps better, more fluid. He doesn't lift her very high, not much athleticism. How you think their SD vs FD is so different? No idea. Much more depth in plenty of other skaters and V/M leagues above.
On another note, I was horrified for Gabrielle. Took guts to do what she did and I don't have hate for anyone. Ice dancing is a sport and should be judged as one. No matter what people think is beautiful. There are particulars behind the entire judging that need to be respected. Or it becomes a show and not for Olympics...That is what V/M is all about!

Last edited:

Capegirl33

Spectator
Those lifts that P/C do are hard, of course they are? And nothing that T/M do not have in their program yet they have others, different, creative, athletic. They use some old, they make new, they transition things differently, they"ll add an arm movement, a spin, a drop. I know on past they wouldn't use similar moves to skating teams they trained with out of respect during same season.
Do me a favor, and go look at the pop, the head moves, arms, the gymnastics that Tessa does at times, the different ballet, pointed toes, inside and outside edge skating. Where their resting legs are while moving, how straight their backs are, and upright. The hip hop, styling and languid movements in the body. Along with the synchronization, the beat and movement to music, the flow, the Adagio and crescendo, then the tempo changes, the releases of energy into the next. The Dynamics of power between the two, it flows back and forth through the dance, the skate, choreography, they match. They also have lengthy strides and wide curving on edgeswith plenty of power. I'm not sure what you express on transitions as I've seen a lot of change in that as well. Much lighter expressions, they have a lot more lifts and moves at varying speeds. So, my favor is to go watch without judgment, their SD and FD and perhaps see if you see what i do.

Diok

Rinkside
There is a REASON people fall in love with Tessa and Scott every 4 years all over the world: chemistry. The magic these 2 have is very rare once in a generation. Add the talent, beauty of Tessa😍 and the whole package pure magic. I’ll miss them 😢

ChanClan

On the Ice
chemistry can be pretty subjective though and really comes down to what you prefer so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Diok

Rinkside
Chemistry is fake?😂😂😂😂😂 Then give them an Oscar! Millions around the world and reporters would disagee!
P/C is like watching a talented brother and sister dancing together like the Shibs. Tessa and Scott is 🔥. End of.

DianaSwitz

Match Penalty
Chemistry is fake?😂😂😂😂😂 Then give them an Oscar! Millions around the world and reporters would disagee!
P/C is like watching a talented brother and sister dancing together like the Shibs. Tessa and Scott is 🔥. End of.

Yes, they act , thats pure PR. The same is off the ice, they pretend to make people think that they might be together.They were never together and never will be. I always feel like they try to sell me something..
P/C dont act like that, their chemistry is result of the connection on the ice and if you think it is the same like shibutanis,brother and siister.. well :rofl:one prefer "acted "one, the other something more natural, yet magical. They have unbelievable chemistry. Maybe you havent seen their pasodoble, i remeber here people, all of you used to say that was so hot, like you though they might get to bed after getting of the ice :biggrin:
And if you think they skated like Shibutanis in Mozart,Pasodoble or MS can we talk seriously?

I also look for emotions in FS and i find them in P/C . they have that X factor who will make them legandary. Actually they are already. Remeber 5 first programs of V/M and compare them to P/Cs

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Thats intresting, coz when i post that v/m won because of the strap dificulties , thats bad, but when many people here insulted skaters after short program , saying that their score is too much , thats politics blaiming everything for such big score it was ok etc etc It is just not fair

Perhaps it has more to do with the aggressive manner of your posts...

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
On a side note, looking at the trend in your posts since you joined, I do hope you'll have more to contribute to the forum in the future beyond just bashing V/M and Canadians and complaining about the French's scores/malfunction. But you do you, boo.[/QUOTE]

[emoji23] Thank you. Totally agree.

RedDress

Rinkside
I watched with a group of Asian friends and they all call P/C's SD less appealing than V/M. Just saying.

P/C has a history of weaker S/D compared to their FD if you're their fan you might have known that. They were led in the FD quite often. Only this GPF they won it does not make them a strong SD team.

Thanks for this. I’m new to the forum, enjoying the posts. I’m from the ballroom world and IMO Virtue and Moir did an amazing SD. They are trailblazers, I dare say we will see Latin ballroom dancers use Rolling Stones and Eagles much more, especially since the music for the program was so expertly produced, with a strong strict ballroom tempo. Tessa is an amazing dancer the detail in her body line, arm movement, expression is just beautiful to watch, Scott provides a very masculine frame and together they just work. You cannot look away. P/C for me in contrast are less dynamic in the SD but their more lyrical style is very beautiful for the FD. I thought even with the wardrobe malfunction in the SD they were very generously scored as they did lose
focus and a bit of synchronization. If they weren’t a top team I think they would have scored quite a bit lower.

RedDress

Rinkside
chemistry can be pretty subjective though and really comes down to what you prefer so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Imo, dance partners are put together because their line looks good, but if the partners can play off each other with abandon, then that’s chemistry. Ballroom dance was invented so that couples can get close and touch. If they can also show that coupling to an audience then that takes the audience into a romantic moment for 4 minutes. This has always been Scott and Tessa’s advantage. After this Olympics it will be interesting to see what an audience wants. If it’s sharp

skating of all the elements without that romantic spark then the Americans should do well. But I think romance is still an important piece of the puzzle and that’s where the ShibSibs are at a disadvantage. They have a different kind of chemistry but it can’t go beyond into romance for obvious reasons.

Diok

Rinkside
A couple that look like a couple can play with an energy other "couples" can't and that will always be an advantage! I personally like to see a fire hot couple dancing than a brother and sister type.

RedDress

Rinkside
Thank you so much for directing me to that thread. As a Canadian I am just biased towards the Canadians, but I absolutely get where folks think where V/M were aggressively marketing their routines this year. I say yes, of course they were marketing their routines, marketing their intention and passion, marketing the fact that there is now a world class training facility in Montreal-which almost lead to a medal sweep in Ice Dance, and marketing their “brand” of ice dance which even the judges liked at the end. To be honest Canada was behind them 100% in the way that Americans have always backed their athletes. Virtue/Moir’s FD was the most watched event in Canada, and it was with a purpose. I don’t know why P/C missed the Team event, but it was definitely a misssed opportunity so the Canadians snatched the momentum and tweaked their program so they weren’t taking a long time for Satine to die, but they put in a celebratory lift that took the audience along with them. As gorgeous as P/C ‘s Moonlight Sonata was, what struck me was the subdued costumes and make up, and while tender, it was more about the skate and not dynamics. Some would say that V/M passion was over the top to be believable, but the reaction of the audience was absolutely the note they needed to hit

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I try really hard not to be bias. I believe full heartedly even if I was not Canadian I'd prefer v/m over p/c. In my world it just isnt even close. I have never put down the french team. I think they truly are fantastic and they are clear favorites to win worlds. They just have skills and flow on the ice like no one else (other than v/m) I have always been hard on the judging however. I have disagreed many times.. even with the olympics I thought the Ice Dance judging was completely out of wack. It was certain SP events that helped V/M win the gold. If that had not of happened I believe the french would of still won but because of what happened the judges needed to let v/m win because of fear they'd be caught. I mean there were so many things like giving the french positive 3 GOEs on twizzles that had multiple mistakes etc that had me mystified. I was even mystified how the french won the FD.. I mean just listen to that crowd after V/M .. that tells you enough right there they had seen an olympic winning skate.. for v/m to be 2nd in the FD is outrageous. But Karma I think came back and rewarded the Canadians and left the Russian and the French federations out in the dust (not the skaters... the "higer ups"). Especially with the pairs event. I thought forsure because the CDN team won bronze (fully deserved btw) over the Russian team that the judges would of had something to say about that in the dance skates. Oh the drama.. What an olympics it was!