Voices From Russia - Wellness Check | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Voices From Russia - Wellness Check

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Of course, I’m busy not only with animation too, but I’m going to keep posting cartoons or puppet-animated films from time to time, because some of them do have English subtitles and even bright colors :)

Today it is
“38 Parrots” (directed by Ivan Ufimtsev)
One episode has English subtitles. It can be watched separately from other episodes.
(if you don't see the subtitles, you need to press the button in the bottom part of the screen)

And in this video the episodes go one by one, but they have no translation

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Of course, I’m busy not only with animation too, but I’m going to keep posting cartoons or puppet-animated films from time to time, because some of them do have English subtitles and even bright colors :)

Today it is
“38 Parrots” (directed by Ivan Ufimtsev)
One episode has English subtitles. It can be watched separately from other episodes.
(if you don't see the subtitles, you need to press the button in the bottom part of the screen)

And in this video the episodes go one by one, but they have no translation
Not that I've ever had to measure a python, but now I know one is 38 parrots or five monkeys or two elephants long. My grandchildren will be impressed by my knowledge. :scratch2:
:yahoo:

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Not that I've ever had to measure a python, but now I know one is 38 parrots or five monkeys or two elephants long. My grandchildren will be impressed by my knowledge. :scratch2:
:yahoo:

Maybe you take it too seriously? :)

I think I like the dialogues in this film. For example, it is funny, that The Elephant Calf is so timid, that he adds “I beg your pardon” each time when he says something.

As for measuring, I think it is more important that this film says that "anything" can be used to measure other things. I think it is true. I was taught to measure distances with my steps, when I studied at school and learned to draw location plans. I had to find out the average length of my step (in centimeters), to measure the distances with my steps and to translate the number of steps to meters.
Painters measure with a pencil those things which they draw. Painters also use the idea of proportions (for example, one thing is two times bigger than another one).
Cooks measure foods with cups or even with “parts”. Cooks and many other professionals use the idea of proportions too.
I think this short film can be the first step to understanding those things.

Of course, it’s OK if you understand that your grandkids already know those things. And it’s OK if you just think that this film isn’t interesting. Tastes differ. :)

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Maybe you take it too seriously? :)

I think I like the dialogues in this film. For example, it is funny, that The Elephant Calf is so timid, that he adds “I beg your pardon” each time when he says something.

As for measuring, I think it is more important that this film says that "anything" can be used to measure other things. I think it is true. I was taught to measure distances with my steps, when I studied at school and learned to draw location plans. I had to find out the average length of my step (in centimeters), to measure the distances with my steps and to translate the number of steps to meters.
Painters measure with a pencil those things which they draw. Painters also use the idea of proportions (for example, one thing is two times bigger than another one).
Cooks measure foods with cups or even with “parts”. Cooks and many other professionals use the idea of proportions too.
I think this short film can be the first step to understanding those things.

Of course, it’s OK if you understand that your grandkids already know those things. And it’s OK if you just think that this film isn’t interesting. Tastes differ. :)
I guess my joking didn't translate too well! :drama: I wasn't being serious, I was appreciating the cuteness of the cartoon, which I loved. The shy elephant wearing the cute glasses is charming, and the python himself was expertly animated with such natural expressions! My grandkids (who knew Grandma was teasing them as she often does) also watched it and are looking for more on Youtube :). Their favourite part was the python being pulled out straight and then folded over and folded again. They've seen their mother doing that to roughly estimate how much fabric she has for a project -- like a skating dress. :unsure:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
So is it me who was too serious? :LOL:

I’m sorry if it was so. :)
No, no, you were being very helpful. I was being too whimsical and misled you. I do that a lot, I'm afraid, but when I'm speaking directly to someone and I see them looking uncertain I can immediately reassure them. Writing, not everyone has the courage to ask if I'm joking :shrug:
:console::):thank:

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
“The Kitten Named Woof” is cute too
(«Котёнок по имени Гав»)
The episodes from 1 to 4 were directed by Lev Atamanov, the 5th was directed by Leonid Shwartsman and Maia Miroshkina
In this video the episodes go one by one (without translation)

As for videos with English subtitles, I found one episode again
Unfortunately, the situation with The Cat is difficult to translate in this episode. They mention the “cat-and-mouse” game (that is “koshki-myshki” in Russian). “Koshki” is plural for “koshka”, and “koshka” means “she-cat” (even though often this word is used for any cat). That’s why The Cat starts to shout that he is a he-cat, not a she-cat.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
“The Kitten Named Woof” is cute too
(«Котёнок по имени Гав»)
The episodes from 1 to 4 were directed by Lev Atamanov, the 5th was directed by Leonid Shwartsman and Maia Miroshkina
In this video the episodes go one by one (without translation)

As for videos with English subtitles, I found one episode again
Unfortunately, the situation with The Cat is difficult to translate in this episode. They mention the “cat-and-mouse” game (that is “koshki-myshki” in Russian). “Koshki” is plural for “koshka”, and “koshka” means “she-cat” (even though often this word is used for any cat). That’s why The Cat starts to shout that he is a he-cat, not a she-cat.
I used to be able to buy adorable Budi Basa stuffed toys from Russian sellers on eBay. Haven't added any for a few years, but I have a shelf full of Kot Basuk and his little girlfriend Koshka LiLi, all wearing such cute clothes! (I bought some for the grandkids, but mostly for myself, I have to admit.) It was my understanding that while koshka is the feminine form, there is no neutral word for cat in Russian, so koshka=girl cat is used for "cat" in general, for instance in situations where you meet someone's cat and don't know if it's male or female. I don't remember where I learned that. People often do that in English and refer to an unknown cat as "she" unless the owner corrects them. My own current cat is a mixed-breed of part Siberian Forest Cat and part Maine Coon Cat. He is huge, with a thick fur coat that makes him even bigger. No one ever mistakes him for a girl!

I'll look forward to watching the cat cartoons in a few days, once we've got a series of strata council emergency meetings done with at my condo complex.

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I used to be able to buy adorable Budi Basa stuffed toys from Russian sellers on eBay.

I knew nothing about such toys. Or maybe I’ve seen them, but didn’t pay attention.

People often do that in English and refer to an unknown cat as "she" unless the owner corrects them.

I’m surprised that people do so, when they speak English. I thought people usually just say “it” about an animal (when they speak English).

I'll look forward to watching the cat cartoons in a few days, once we've got a series of strata council emergency meetings done with at my condo complex.

Yes, of course. Feel free to spend your time as you think fit. It seems you and me are not the only people in this thread, so maybe I’ll post something else, but I don’t want you to feel that every posted cartoon is waiting for you to watch it. Feel free to spend your time as you think fit. :)

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
It was my understanding that while koshka is the feminine form, there is no neutral word for cat in Russian, so koshka=girl cat is used for "cat" in general, for instance in situations where you meet someone's cat and don't know if it's male or female. I don't remember where I learned that. People often do that in English and refer to an unknown cat as "she" unless the owner corrects them. My own current cat is a mixed-breed of part Siberian Forest Cat and part Maine Coon Cat. He is huge, with a thick fur coat that makes him even bigger. No one ever mistakes him for a girl!
Many people tend to think of cats as "she" and dogs as "he." It makes me wonder if there are some unspoken gender stereotypes in play there. Speaking for myself, I have to admit that some dog breeds (especially big ones like Mastiffs, Great Danes, etc.) always seem masculine to me until I meet one and ask about the gender.

My family is Slovenian; when I was little, we had a female cat named Mačka. "Mačka" is feminine and my mom told me that the masculine word for cat was "Macek" but I can't find anything online to confirm that now. :scratch2:

Your own cat sounds like a seriously handsome dude! :love:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
FYI, animal lovers on this thread might enjoy this one, too:

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Meanwhile I’ve even found some dubbed cartoons.

For example, the soviet “Winnie the Pooh” with English dubbing.
I think this translation isn’t good enough for children (especially the translation of poetry), but maybe for adults this translation is better than no translation at all. So here it is:

(The version without any translation has been posted earlier in this thread)

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
As for illustrations for “Winnie the Pooh”, I think the most famous Russian illustrations for this book are the illustrations by Boris Diodorov. This video shows the book with his illustrations (if it is interesting):

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Junior and Carlson
("Малыш и Карлсон")
directed by Boris Stepantsev

These cartoons are based on a story by Astrid Lindgren (she is a Swedish writer). Astrid Lindgren is known as the author of “Pippi Longstocking” and she also wrote many other books.

I found the soviet “Junior and Carlson” with English dubbing (the dubbed versions are placed below the version without any translation). The dubbing isn’t perfect again, but I hope it gives an opportunity to understand many jokes in these funny cartoons.

Junior isn’t the real name of this boy. The book mentions that his real name is Svante Svantesson, but he is the youngest one in the family, so they just call him Junior.

Junior and Carlson (both episodes) – in Russian, without translation

Junior And Carlson (the first episode) – English dubbing

Carlson Comes Back (the second episode) – English dubbing

Last edited:

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
The Seven-Colored Flower
(«Цветик-семицветик»)
directed by Mikhail Tsekhanovski

This cartoon is really old (1948), but this is a kind and wise fairy tale (the story is written by Valentin Kataev). A little girl named Zhenya gets a magical flower. Each petal of the flower can fulfill her wish. Zhenya starts to make wishes and realizes that inventing a worthy wish isn’t an easy task…

(I’m sorry that the subtitled version is dark. A brighter version does exist, but it has no subtitles)

The Seven-Colored Flower (in Russian, without translation)

The Seven-Colored Flower (English subtitles)

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
The Mystery of the Third Planet
(«Тайна третьей планеты»)
directed by Roman Kachanov

This is beautiful animation with beautiful music. I also think this is a kind story, even though this is science fiction. In the original version of the cartoon one character says about an enemy: “Don’t shoot! He can fall and die!”. Not because they need to capture the enemy alive, but just because they don’t want to harm him. This is how soviet people pictured the future.

I found both subtitled and dubbed versions, but I think that the subbed version is much better than the “dubbed” one. The texts in the “dubbed” version almost have nothing to do with the original cartoon: the “translator” has replaced jokes with some boring utterances, has changed the details of the story. Maybe those who made the “dubbed” version didn’t manage to ruin the cartoon completely, but they worked really hard at that. So I think the subtitled version is much better for those who can read.

The Mystery of the Third Planet (in Russian, without translation)

The Mystery of the Third Planet (with English subtitles)
to enable subtitles click the “subtitles” button in the bottom-right corner of the video

The Mystery of the Third Planet (English “dubbing”)

Last edited:

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Boniface's Vacation
(«Каникулы Бонифация»)
Directed by Fyodor Khitruk

This is a very nice cartoon. I haven’t found a translated version, but I think it can be watched without translation, if I tell the story.

Instead of a trailer you can see this short and funny episode:

Based on a story by Milosh Matsourek (he is a Czech writer).
In one Circus there was a lion named Boniface. He was a very talented and good lion. The Director of the Circus and Boniface often went for a walk together, and The Director used to buy bananas for Boniface. Once they saw many children on the streets of the city, and Boniface asked why children were not at school. The Director said children had vacation.
“Vacation? I never had vacation,” – said Boniface.
“Where would you go?” – asked The Director.
“I’d go to see my grandma, of course!” – said Boniface.
And The Director gave him vacation.
Boniface bought a ticket and went to Africa.
He was going to eat bananas every day and swim in a lake. He also wanted to catch a fish.
When Boniface went to the lake for the first time, he met a little girl. The girl was scared when she saw a lion, and Boniface showed some circus tricks in order to comfort her. She liked the tricks. After that children started following Boniface and asking to show more and more tricks.
He kept showing tricks and didn’t have any time for swimming or having a rest.
Finally, it was time to leave.
When Boniface was leaving, he was thinking: “However vacation is such a wonderful thing!”

Boniface's Vacation (in Russian, without translation)

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Boniface's Vacation
(«Каникулы Бонифация»)
Directed by Fyodor Khitruk

This is a very nice cartoon. I haven’t found a translated version, but I think it can be watched without translation, if I tell the story.

Instead of a trailer you can see this short and funny episode:

Based on a story by Milosh Matsourek (he is a Czech writer).
In one Circus there was a lion named Boniface. He was a very talented and good lion. The Director of the Circus and Boniface often went for a walk together, and The Director used to buy bananas for Boniface. Once they saw many children on the streets of the city, and Boniface asked why children were not at school. The Director said children had vacation.
“Vacation? I never had vacation,” – said Boniface.
“Where would you go?” – asked The Director.
“I’d go to see my grandma, of course!” – said Boniface.
And The Director gave him vacation.
Boniface bought a ticket and went to Africa.
He was going to eat bananas every day and swim in a lake. He also wanted to catch a fish.
When Boniface went to the lake for the first time, he met a little girl. The girl was scared when she saw a lion, and Boniface showed some circus tricks in order to comfort her. She liked the tricks. After that children started following Boniface and asking to show more and more tricks.
He kept showing tricks and didn’t have any time for swimming or having a rest.
Finally, it was time to leave.
When Boniface was leaving, he was thinking: “However vacation is such a wonderful thing!”

Boniface's Vacation (in Russian, without translation)
I just realized I have a stuffed toy Boniface! I bought him several years ago on eBay, and just thought he was a cute lion, long and thin, wearing a blue and white striped bathing suit and carrying a butterfly net. I put him out on display every summer, but had no idea he was a cartoon character with a name! I tried to figure out how to add a picture of him here, but all I can find are ways to add a link to a video or a website, not a picture. But I'll be sure to call him by his real name when I put him out on show this summer :love:!

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Wish you a good spring! :)

(I hope you can feel love in this video like I feel it)

This song is called “Circle Dances of This World” or maybe “Circle Dances of Peace” (because in the contemporary Russian language it’s impossible to differentiate the word “world” from the word “peace” – these words have the same spelling). The musical group is called “Khorosho-Da-Ladno” (this name means “Well And Harmoniously”.

Last edited: