Wagner "furious" on scores | Page 38 | Golden Skate

Wagner "furious" on scores

Status
Not open for further replies.

WGloria

Rinkside
Grishuk must have been hard to get along with. IIRC she got into a physical altercation with Nicole Bobek.

Isn't the 'folk lore' pretty full of interpersonal challenges for Grishuk, with a ton of others ranging from her partners (Platov), competitors (Usova), etc. etc. and on down the list?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
During my backstage tour, i was told that the dogs were indeed in training to become service animals, and they even had their own official lanyard access pass. :laugh:
Incidentally, it was explicitly stated that none of the athletes had allergies to the puppies. This should have been obvious in hindsight, given how much medical history they must have; there was a room labelled in the back with just "DOPING" on the sign.

How does one get a backstage tour? (Asking for next year).

geige

On the Ice
Wow, Ashley was really lovely in her interview which makes me even more sad that she’s not going to the Olympics, especially because I believe that La La Land is a program worthy of the Olympics. Hopefully one of the girls will want to take a rest after Olympics or something (God forbid an injury) and we’ll get to see it one more time.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Wow, Ashley was really lovely in her interview which makes me even more sad that she’s not going to the Olympics, especially because I believe that La La Land is a program worthy of the Olympics. Hopefully one of the girls will want to take a rest after Olympics or something (God forbid an injury) and we’ll get to see it one more time.

It appears that Ashley intends to compete at Four Continents. So we'll see it again there.

leafygreens

Final Flight
I agree with everything on the TSL This and That recap. They nailed it. Ashley's skating has regressed, she is a master of spinning the media, and Joe Inman judged her fairly (could have even scored her lower.) Dave predicts Ashley will be at the Olympics as a correspondent, and another correspondent will "come down with an illness" to make room for her (LOL.) Her missing the team should be the end of it. I don't want to hear anymore talking or PR spin. It's going to be like Tara constantly mentioning her OGM but much worse. Sasha was invited to share her opinions in 2010. It was a disaster.

Well, Ross has said he doesn't agree with the decision he has alluded to it being politicized and even used the term "back-room deal", which of course is his opinion. (https://www.nbcboston.com/news/loca...Miner-Shocked-by-Olympics-Snub-468535473.html)
They are complaining about different things. Ross is upset he skated phenomenally and was bumped. Ashley is upset she didn't skate well, wasn't placed high on her PCS reputation, and was bumped.

I am so sick and tired when PCS get used for anything else other than what it is designed to reward: the artistic parts of the sport. The same excuse used to manipulate results by agenda driven judges, federations, pushing for their skater of choice at the expense of another - all has nothing to do with what went on the ice on the day.
Why should PCS for a brand new program be as high as for other, more seasoned programs, if it is not skated well? People complain that PCS is used to prop up reputation, but are mad that Ashley's PCS wasn't used to prop up her reputation.

After watching the interview with the three going, I'm not sure that they are ready for the media spotlight.
The requirements for team selection do not include ability to blab to the media non-stop. If that was the case the 4th place finisher would be going.

Ashley's a warrior. She's a hero. She has the courage to confront what she believes is wrong ... on her own behalf, as well as on others' behalf. She has the courage not to back down. She's fearless.
A warrior... of PR spin. I don't see her doing much on other's behalf for this one. I just hear a plea for skaters to be judged on reputation but only when it benefits her.

pearly

Record Breaker
No doubt in my mind the guys from TSL had their little field day with Ashley not getting selected for the team.

Can anyone find the link to non-NBC video of Ashley's free? Something with no talking over the beginning of the program?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I agree with everything on the TSL This and That recap. They nailed it. Ashley's skating has regressed, she is a master of spinning the media, and Joe Inman judged her fairly (could have even scored her lower.) Dave predicts Ashley will be at the Olympics as a correspondent, and another correspondent will "come down with an illness" to make room for her (LOL.) Her missing the team should be the end of it. I don't want to hear anymore talking or PR spin. It's going to be like Tara constantly mentioning her OGM but much worse. Sasha was invited to share her opinions in 2010. It was a disaster.

They are complaining about different things. Ross is upset he skated phenomenally and was bumped. Ashley is upset she didn't skate well, wasn't placed high on her PCS reputation, and was bumped.

Why should PCS for a brand new program be as high as for other, more seasoned programs, if it is not skated well? People complain that PCS is used to prop up reputation, but are mad that Ashley's PCS wasn't used to prop up her reputation.

The requirements for team selection do not include ability to blab to the media non-stop. If that was the case the 4th place finisher would be going.

A warrior... of PR spin. I don't see her doing much on other's behalf for this one. I just hear a plea for skaters to be judged on reputation but only when it benefits her.

I agree with most of what you wrote. However, I still think Ashley has earned the right to express her opinion, even though some find it offensive. She didn't always get great PCS; it took many seasons of consistent performances to get there. From that perspective, I understand how she would be upset when a few of the younger women skate well at Nationals and top her on that score. Nonetheless, I think the lack of a standing ovation from the crowd did indicate something was missing from her relatively-clean performance, and the judges felt the same way.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No doubt in my mind the guys from TSL had their little field day with Ashley not getting selected for the team.

Can anyone find the link to non-NBC video of Ashley's free? Something with no talking over the beginning of the program?

:agree:

Courtesy of Temadd. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NOej41yru0

This has commentators battling in 2 languages before and after, but both are mostly quiet during the actual program. If anyone can provide a translation of the (I think, Chinese) commentary, I'd be interested to hear it. :)

andromache

Record Breaker

As a figure skater, how much do they actually believe that reputation = PCS? While we as fans believe it to be true, as the athlete who is busting their butt day in and day out and trying to improve every little thing, and taking the judges' feedback seriously, maybe the athletes don't believe it is reputation, but what they put out there on the ice?

I imagine if they didn't believe it was about what they did on the ice that it would be extremely difficult to stay motivated as serious athlete. If you take the judges' feedback seriously, it is going to cause alarm when suddenly you're receiving lower scores than before, even though you are performing better than you have all season.

It seems like you just want to expect the worst of Ashley.

Eclair

Medalist
:agree:

Courtesy of Temadd. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NOej41yru0

This has commentators battling in 2 languages before and after, but both are mostly quiet during the actual program. If anyone can provide a translation of the (I think, Chinese) commentary, I'd be interested to hear it. :)

The Chinese guy loved Ashley. After the program ended he said:

Wow, we have to give our respect to this seasoned (older) athlete. How come I always feel, that her program music seems to be more different/unique than everybody else's? Really, why is that? It is now really her music. Unique. Thank you! One of her jumps is red, it's probably UR. Thank you (Ashley). She did what she could in a for her standard really good way. Today's 3-3 is especially rotated. Very beautiful. flip 3 rotations. Loop 3 rotation. Today her rotations are really exceptionally well done. Lutz is UR though.
SP was only in 5th, that's a little dangerous. Haha, I especially like this kind of athlete - love looking at her expressions!
The scores come up:
Huh? 62 tech, 68PCS - how did the scores end up being so low? 130. She herself is shaking her head. Eh, what's with this panel of judges? Why did they gave such low scores?

lappo

Final Flight
As a figure skater, how much do they actually believe that reputation = PCS? While we as fans believe it to be true, as the athlete who is busting their butt day in and day out and trying to improve every little thing, and taking the judges' feedback seriously, maybe the athletes don't believe it is reputation, but what they put out there on the ice?

I imagine if they didn't believe it was about what they did on the ice that it would be extremely difficult to stay motivated as serious athlete. If you take the judges' feedback seriously, it is going to cause alarm when suddenly you're receiving lower scores than before, even though you are performing better than you have all season.

It seems like you just want to expect the worst of Ashley.

I don't know about how much they think/perceive it this way but, as a FS fan, I noticed that there is a tendency on the judges part to score all of the five PCS very close even if the skater is particularly brilliant at one of them (or particularly lacking). Take the now viral Jimmy Ma SP: SS: 7.21; TR: 6,75; PE: 7.54; CO: 7.25 IN: 7.64. Personally, I wouldn't have screamed "overscored" if his IN and PE were higher because I feel they would have made clear the area where he needs to work more and the area that he is already quite good at and that he can make his strong points as a skater and competitor.

pearly

Record Breaker
I don't know about how much they think/perceive it this way but, as a FS fan, I noticed that there is a tendency on the judges part to score all of the five PCS very close even if the skater is particularly brilliant at one of them (or particularly lacking). Take the now viral Jimmy Ma SP: SS: 7.21; TR: 6,75; PE: 7.54; CO: 7.25 IN: 7.64. Personally, I wouldn't have screamed "overscored" if his IN and PE were higher because I feel they would have made clear the area where he needs to work more and the area that he is already quite good at and that he can make his strong points as a skater and competitor.
Unfortunately they have to to a certain point, this is the so called "corridor". Now I forget what exactly the acceptable discrepancy is.

Let me add that this is not an official thing in the rules, but raises red flags if there is too much discrepancy from other judges and from mark to mark.

lappo

Final Flight
Unfortunately they have to to a certain point, this is the so called "corridor". Now I forget what exactly the acceptable discrepancy is.

Let me add that this is not an official thing in the rules, but raises red flags if there is too much discrepancy from other judges and from mark to mark.

IMO, this is what is wrong and makes PCS look bad for the public and useless for the skaters too, as they don't receive an accurate evaluation of what they are putting in front of the judges. If I used this method to evaluate the literary works of the kids I teach to, I would probably be (and feel) a terrible teacher, as I would not be giving them clues of what they are already able to do and the areas where they have to study more to get better overall grades.
If a skater deserve 6 in TR and 8,50 or higher in PE I think that shouldn't be felt as something abstonishing for the judges to enact and I think it would help FS to be received from fans and casual viewer as a less corrupted sport.

pearly

Record Breaker
I agree completely. If someone can explain the corridor and the current situation regarding it, please do so.

gnom

On the Ice
I maintain that she has every right, however, to call out the judges for blatantly undermarking her on her PCS relative to the other skaters - when the others all received inflated PCS relative to their international PCS (which were all substantially behind Ashley's by the way) and Ashley did not receive a bump at Nationals of all places, that's shady. The judges should be called out and have to account for that. If the others received PCS bumps, then Ashley should have gotten one also. Ashley performed better at Nationals than she did at her fall events/last season and it was not reflected in her PCS. There was no dramatic improvement to the program components categories of Bradie, Mirai or Karen for them to receive the jumps that they did. The judges had an agenda and they stuck with it. That's what was horrifically embarrassing about the judging. The USFS should be deeply, deeply ashamed for those judges.

So true!!!
I don't like the hidden - or rather very obvious - agenda that the judges seems to have had. Judges should judge fair & square. What the Fed. makes with the results in terms of the Olympic team is another page. It would be interesting to have national championships judged by an international panel, so that judges are not under influence/instruction by the National Federation.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Chinese guy loved Ashley. After the program ended he said:

Wow, we have to give our respect to this seasoned (older) athlete. How come I always feel, that her program music seems to be more different/unique than everybody else's? Really, why is that? It is now really her music. Unique. Thank you! One of her jumps is red, it's probably UR. Thank you (Ashley). She did what she could in a for her standard really good way. Today's 3-3 is especially rotated. Very beautiful. flip 3 rotations. Loop 3 rotation. Today her rotations are really exceptionally well done. Lutz is UR though.
SP was only in 5th, that's a little dangerous. Haha, I especially like this kind of athlete - love looking at her expressions!
The scores come up:
Huh? 62 tech, 68PCS - how did the scores end up being so low? 130. She herself is shaking her head. Eh, what's with this panel of judges? Why did they gave such low scores?

:thank: very much, Eclair !!

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
That's the Chinese fan commentating after Ashley's program, the guy who helps us all watch. Am not clear why his comments are relevant?

Eclair

Medalist
That's the Chinese fan commentating after Ashley's program, the guy who helps us all watch. Am not clear why his comments are relevant?

I don't know whether he is just a fan or a former skater, so it's probable, that his comments are pretty irrelevant. But skylark asked what he said, so I translated it (especially since I enjoyed his commentary, too).

Status
Not open for further replies.