What Happened to TSL? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What Happened to TSL?

melgirl25

Medalist
On mobile, playlists show [Private Video] and older interviews are still available. The Twitter account is deactivated.

I emailed Dave this weekend and told him to skip nationals (“When your enemy knows where you are, DON’T BE THERE”). I’m not surprised that it came to this, but I’m disgusted and irate.

Was that what was written to him? I haven't watched any of the Safe Sport videos from the past few days. Was he pushing it too much with these videos? Regardless, even if he wasn't with the sensitivity of this topic and what has happened it could still happen.

twirlingblades

Medalist
Was that what was written to him? I haven't watched any of the Safe Sport videos from the past few days. Was he pushing it too much with these videos? Regardless, even if he wasn't with the sensitivity of this topic and what has happened it could still happen.

People were mad at him before the videos. He posted a screenshot of Coughlins’ initial restriction and people freaked out.

rachno2

Record Breaker

While I agree with the spirit of this tweet (for reasons I won't elaborate on here), I don't think there is any evidence that it was a coach or skater who made the threat(s). Many people—fans and non-fans of figure skating alike—are using this case in their personal crusade against #MeToo.

Which isn't to say that it wasn't a skater or a coach who made the threats. But I don't think we should operate under that assumption.

twirlingblades

Medalist
While I agree (for reasons I won't elaborate on here), I don't think there is any evidence that it was a coach or skater who made the threat(s). Many people—fans and non-fans of figure skating alike—are using this case in their personal crusade against #MeToo.

Which isn't to say that it wasn't a skater or a coach who made the threat. But I don't think we should operate under that assumption.

Agreed. However I saw some coaches making comments on TSL Facebook posts that seemed a bit... wrong

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Agreed. However I saw some coaches making comments on TSL Facebook posts that seemed a bit... wrong

There have been public statements from USFSA members that fall outside the guidelines. I haven’t seen any death threats, however, but deleting them all would take a full time staffer, just based on what I saw in the YouTube comments.

Bcash

Final Flight
I don't think there's a BUT here. Your first statement says it all.

He didn't need to risk potential trouble, knowing today's social media culture. The Brennan video right after the first interview with this other person who claimed to have been contacted by Safesport seems to me to be a headstrong response to those who condemned them (Dave and Brennan) on Twitter. That second video didn't add anything to the conversation.

NymphyNymphy

On the Ice
Truly shocking. I may not agree with everything TSL says but they provide some very informative interviews. Death threats is never okay. Skating fans please calm down. The USFSA must be in total meltdown right now. The number of tragedies this year has turned the sport upside down. And I really hope the victim who is competing at national gets extra security protection.

GGFan

Record Breaker
He didn't need to risk potential trouble, knowing today's social media culture. The Brennan video right after the first interview with this other person who claimed to have been contacted by Safesport seems to me to be a headstrong response to those who condemned them (Dave and Brennan) on Twitter. That second video didn't add anything to the conversation.

Let me clarify: posting a video does not mean someone deserves death threats. I'm sure if you were Dave's friend he would welcome your advice on what topics are wise to post but that's really not the point here.

rachno2

Record Breaker
Truly shocking. I may not agree with everything TSL says but they provide some very informative interviews. Death threats is never okay. Skating fans please calm down. The USFSA must be in total meltdown right now. The number of tragedies this year has turned the sport upside down. And I really hope the victim who is competing at national gets extra security protection.

Let's remember to not speculate on the accuser's identity, even if the rumors (and they are just rumors right now) end up being true.

That said, I agree that the accuser's safety is of the upmost importance right now. :thumbsup:

evasorange

Final Flight
Wooww what a mess this has turned into. Today’s internet culture, especially on Twitter death threats are as common as saying hello to someone. It’s supremely wrong and scary. USfed/safesport really messed this one up with how the information was presented to the public. Of course people were not going accept/ take seriously gossipy snarky tsl trying to cover such a serious situation but death threats?? I just don’t understand the logic...tsl or Dave “dying” isn’t going to bring back John or magically prove him innocent. But again death threats have become so incredibly common that I almost believe people don’t even comprehend what they are saying. It’s just another insult to toss off when you disagree or are mad. Sad sad sad all
Around.

NymphyNymphy

On the Ice
Let's remember to not speculate on the accuser's identity, even if the rumors (and they are just rumors right now) end up being true.

That said, I agree that the accuser's safety is of the upmost importance right now. :thumbsup:

I don't know any of the rumors about the identity of the accuser. Just that there is one competing. As long as they are safe that is all that matters. :pray:

chasseneige

Rinkside
I’m glad Dave canceled his trip to nationals. Considering the public backlash and threats made against his safety, attending such a large and public skating event would be dangerous. I swear, people are crazy. Better safe than sorry

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
We need to do what we can to create a culture where skaters are protected, we don’t jump to conclusions or engage in meaningless gossip, and listen before we react.

No one deserves death threats. Period.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
[QUOTEl.[/QUOTE]

I am a little in the dark here. "number of tragedies this year" we are like three weeks in - can you explain? I don't even fully understand what Dave Lease / TSL did that was so horrible. I like skating; I have certain views but I don't think we should wish anyone harm especially threats. I hope Nationals in the US will go well and uneventful if you know what I mean. I know I am generalizing but skating sometimes is such a drama fest on and off the ice. Is this 25 years anniversary from the "whack heard around the world"? II think it is and that was a drama year. The pros. The return of Brian Boitano who seemed ready to win and then he and Browning crashed. The return of G and G and Artur and his partner and who should have won. The Tonya/Nancy thing. The should Nancy have won and the orphan waif Oksana story who got injured by the German woman who rotates in the opposite direction only to be carried off the ice by the grandmmother Katarina Witt. Then there was the battle of ice dancing with the return of Torvill and Dean o nly to be out drama by the Russian battle and the marital affairs of the top two teams Usova the home body and her wayward husband Zhulin along with the passionate drama queen Oksana and Platov. I am not sure we need that drama. I just hope no one gets hurt and everyone can enjoy good skating.