What if Yuna Kim had kept Orser as coach? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What if Yuna Kim had kept Orser as coach?

elee63

Final Flight
Another interesting point though, if Orser had had Yuna, would he have had the time to take on the many students he has? Would the time he spent with each athlete have been a bit more skewed?

jaylee

Medalist
Yes, Brian Orser was a great coach for Yuna but he didn't really teach her any groundbreaking new tricks. After Vancouver she could've gone with pretty much anyone who wasn't actively destructive and still done well. Except maybe Peter Oppegard. He always rubbed me the wrong way when he was with Yuna.

Peter Oppegard????? I can't recall a single memorable thing that he said or did.

Perhaps under Orser she would've upped her technicals (instead of regressing) and be pushed to be more groundbreaking or creative? As naturally good as she is, her skating has remained stagnant over the last few years. It's a shame bc she has so much potential.

Orser couldn't have made Yuna more flexible in her later years, which is what has limited Yuna in terms of layback spin. He couldn't have prevented her injury this past fall. He couldn't have prevented the rule changes that made her change her FS layout. And if Yuna could've gotten a consistent 3Lo under Orser, she would've gotten it already.

Yuna actually did improve a number of things post Vancouver, contrary to what some people say. Footwork improved, triple salchows WAY improved. Her skating skills/speed were always great and remained great. IDK, she was at such a high level in Vancouver, there was little space to improve in a dramatic way, but that's what some people seemed to have expected. She had distinctly different SPs and FS each season that she competed. Not all were equally successful, but she tried something new each time and I appreciate that.

People forget how far Kostner fell to before improving to her current heights. She competed half this quad with no lutz, and sometimes no flip or just one flip. It was an interesting strategy that worked for her, but Yuna never took that route. She never committed to anything less than 3Lz/3T and 3F in the SP and the same in the FS.

I don't understand figure skating sometimes, she is just 23 and she already has a history of injuries. I think Mao's condition is not much better. This sport is so cruel. :cry: It's awesome to see someone like Caro and Akiko still go for competition till now.

Yes, that has worried me all along. I think Mao has not had as many major injuries as YuNa because Mao is more naturally flexible. But the sport has become so demanding, in terms of both technique (harder jumps) and practice time, that it eats skaters up. One thing that I think saved Akiko is ironically the time she took off from skating when she was unwell. Her body has had less wear and tear.

But keep in mind that YuNa was seriously injured pretty early. Was it in 2007 that her back was in such bad shape? It was painful just to watch her skate. Amazing that her career has continued at such a high level for so many years after that.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Peter Oppegard, under him, Yuna said, her main goal is working on her spins and step sequence, and you can see improvement in her spins and step sequence in her Giselle and Homage program.
after Peter, Yuna went back to Korea, she cannot bring back loop, but she actually improved in all other aspects of her skating (perhaps not spins), her flip and salchow are much better and more consistent, her step sequence and her artistry. So we have Les Mis, Vampire, clown and Adios, 4 artistically distinct programs.
I also wished maybe Yuna could try other choreographers, but I dare say that David Wilson put all his heart into Yuna's program.
And what more you can ask for from a choreographer.
Maybe Yuna can try to work with others in her future show programs.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Yes, that has worried me all along. I think Mao has not had as many major injuries as YuNa because Was it in 2007 that her back was in such bad shape? It was painful just to watch her skate. Amazing that her career has continued at such a high level for so many years after that.
you can watch her lark GPF on youtube, heavy bandage on her back. and there is another lark(korean nationals, she was forced to compete, a month after her surgery), the most painful performance (still trying to do a bellman and spiral...), I have ever seen.
next year, right before worlds, she injured her hips...
as much as I hope to watch more Yuna's program. I think that retirement is the right thing for her. I wish she can relax and recover well, and then, maybe put her talent into her future show programs.

SkateToronto

On the Ice
you can watch her lark GPF on youtube, heavy bandage on her back. and there is another lark(korean nationals, she was forced to compete, a month after her surgery), the most painful performance (still trying to do a bellman and spiral...), I have ever seen.
next year, right before worlds, she injured her hips...
as much as I hope to watch more Yuna's program. I think that retirement is the right thing for her. I wish she can relax and recover well, and then, maybe put her talent into her future show programs.

I don't remember how she hurt her back. Was it from a bad fall or something or just something that developed over time?

McIce

Rinkside
Yes, that has worried me all along. I think Mao has not had as many major injuries as YuNa because Mao is more naturally flexible. But the sport has become so demanding, in terms of both technique (harder jumps) and practice time, that it eats skaters up. One thing that I think saved Akiko is ironically the time she took off from skating when she was unwell. Her body has had less wear and tear.

But keep in mind that YuNa was seriously injured pretty early. Was it in 2007 that her back was in such bad shape? It was painful just to watch her skate. Amazing that her career has continued at such a high level for so many years after that.

I don't think being naturally more flexible is the reason Mao has fewer injuries. It's more of the overall body strength and muscle. Yuna doesn't have that kind of strength to train 3A nor does she have a strong enough back/hip to consistently train 3L. It's a pity, but it's what it is. Had she have a consistent 3L, I honestly don't think anyone could ever beat her. It just shows no one is gonna be perfect.

McIce

Rinkside
I don't remember how she hurt her back. Was it from a bad fall or something or just something that developed over time?

I believe it's chronic injury and also partly due to the bad boots she used to skate which caused huge problem during last years in junior.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kim needed to keep active competing and not skating a couple times a year in small competitions then Worlds. Her not doing the GP this season really did hurt her.

McIce

Rinkside
Peter Oppegard, under him, Yuna said, her main goal is working on her spins and step sequence, and you can see improvement in her spins and step sequence in her Giselle and Homage program.
after Peter, Yuna went back to Korea, she cannot bring back loop, but she actually improved in all other aspects of her skating (perhaps not spins), her flip and salchow are much better and more consistent, her step sequence and her artistry. So we have Les Mis, Vampire, clown and Adios, 4 artistically distinct programs.
I also wished maybe Yuna could try other choreographers, but I dare say that David Wilson put all his heart into Yuna's program.
And what more you can ask for from a choreographer.
Maybe Yuna can try to work with others in her future show programs.

There's rumor that she once worked with Shae Lynn-Bourne on 2011 short program. I am really curious how it looks like. She's a fantastic choreographer.

JayW

Final Flight
Kim needed to keep active competing and not skating a couple times a year in small competitions then Worlds. Her not doing the GP this season really did hurt her.

Actually, she is quite active since she has been doing shows all the time. It keeps her body tuned for competition.

bara1968

On the Ice

Yes maybe, but she was injured. And look at Carolina and Sot. They went to GP, did bad, and that did not affect their Oly scores at all. Look at Mao. She won all the GP series, yet her PCS in LP was lower than Sot. What can we say?

bara1968

On the Ice
Yeah but she couldn't plan on doing that every year.

Again, she "planned" to participate in GP this season and she COULD NOT due to injury. Not participating GP was not in her plan at all. And looking back to Sochi, I frankly don't think that the result would have changed even if she competed and won all the GPs including GPF.

aschiutza

On the Ice
I also think that Yuna's chances were hurt by missing GP. This was a missed chance to create buzz around here programs, to let the programs grow, to know when your audience grasp and claps and to impove selling the program, to create that unic moment of electricity when something special happens. For that a program have to be tested a couple of times.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I am not sure either, I guess it is chronicle. Yuna has back pain for a long time, then get diagnosed. Her hip injury next year is perhaps due to a bad fall.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Yeah but she couldn't plan on doing that every year.
Yuna did not "plan" to skip GPs this year.
And she is truly injured on her foot, so she cannot compete on GPs anymore.
and this mishap did not earn her any sentimental points nor should it.
What Yuna put on ice on Sochi OG alone, is great enough for a Gold Medal.
which did not happen, due to fraud, not because of her absence from GPs,
Please stop trying to distract from Sochi fraud, and blame it on Yuna.