What would you wish for Eteri Tutberidze to represent the United States ? Just for fun ! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What would you wish for Eteri Tutberidze to represent the United States ? Just for fun !

Status
Not open for further replies.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
The latter portion of this statement only relates to one discipline. There are 4 disciplines in figure skating. 4. Russian men have no medal hopes, but people root for them anyway.
I think it is true for women and pairs..
I follow all Russian disciplines with avid interest and agree about men and ice dance and look forward to watching them in competition.. especially Mark and SinKats!
TBF also I believe Russians push the sport so it is the best it can be hoping that international competitors will follow suit.. not a bad thing in and of itself but but so many severe injuries in ones so young gives me pause..

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
How about i hope that if she does end up in the USA, she relaxes, lets loose acts silly and embraces life.

Find the joy and fun in figure skating rather than winning is everything.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a silly thread on all levels of silliness :rofl:

I agree: the idea that anyone in the US or North America would actually hire Eteri?

Silly:). ETA: After all, we have Alysa Liu bravely and maturely saying I stopped training quads because I didn't want hip surgery. I am thinking even the skating stage moms would stay away.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I agree: the idea that anyone in the US or North America would actually hire Eteri?

Silly:). ETA: After all, we have Alysa Liu bravely and maturely saying I stopped training quads because I didn't want hip surgery. I am thinking even the skating stage moms would stay away.

Lol. As if they wouldn't. You do remember that the Karolyis were celebrated in the US for quite some time before the scandal broke out, right? All in the name of gold medals.

There are crazy parents everywhere, who value medals and success more than the health of their children. I guarantee you, if Eteri came to the US, she would find students.

Well, probably less than before the Olympics, when people could still pretend that she wasn't highly abusive as a coach. But there's some who are willing to overlook even that.

Last edited:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lol. As if they wouldn't. You do remember that the Karolyis were celebrated in the US for quite some time before the scandal broke out, right? All in the name of gold medals.

There are crazy parents everywhere, who value medals and success more than the health of their children. I guarantee you, if Eteri came to the US, she would find students.

Well, probably less than before the Olympics, when people could still pretend that she wasn't highly abusive as a coach. But there's some who are willing to overlook even that.

As for what I'd like to see happen to Tutberidze - I share lariko's opinion.

Yes, I should have qualified my answer.

Plenty of "win at all costs" parents exist everywhere. I am well aware of the Karolyis, I am sad to say when I saw in real time Kerri Strug vaulting on essentially a broken ankle, I thought, "How brave". Now I am ashamed of myself for thinking that.

But Eteri in the US, to discuss seriously, presents the following issues

1. Politicking: In the US, now, Eteri has no politicking advantage. None. In fact, US judges seeing Eteri with a skater: I predict negative politicking.

All the quads in the world won't help if you can't get out of US Nats. Or if USFS does not place you on the ISP.

2. Legal issues/FBI: I don't want to get into details in this section of the Forum. They are real. Are they probable? who knows. If you are a skating parent, why take a chance?

3. SafeSport: So let's say some hard core stage moms sign Suzy Skater up. Eteri would work at a rink that she does not control, in the presence of skaters who are not part of her "camp", in the presence of other stage moms whose skaters are working with other coaches. I have no idea if there would be issues. But anyone can report a SafeSport violation, you don't need to be the "affected" skater.

I'm back to my first suggestion: work with adults who are going to push back on any happy hoo-hah, who skate because they enjoy it, and learn to love that world. :)

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Yes, I should have qualified my answer.

Plenty of "win at all costs" parents exist everywhere. I am well aware of the Karolyis, I am sad to say when I saw in real time Kerri Strug vaulting on essentially a broken ankle, I thought, "How brave". Now I am ashamed of myself for thinking that.

But Eteri in the US, to discuss seriously, presents the following issues

1. Politicking: In the US, now, Eteri has no politicking advantage. None. In fact, US judges seeing Eteri with a skater: I predict negative politicking.

All the quads in the world won't help if you can't get out of US Nats. Or if USFS does not place you on the ISP.

2. Legal issues/FBI: I don't want to get into details in this section of the Forum. They are real. Are they probable? who knows. If you are a skating parent, why take a chance?

3. SafeSport: So let's say some hard core stage moms sign Suzy Skater up. Eteri would work at a rink that she does not control, in the presence of skaters who are not part of her "camp", in the presence of other stage moms whose skaters are working with other coaches. I have no idea if there would be issues. But anyone can report a SafeSport violation, you don't need to be the "affected" skater.

I'm back to my first suggestion: work with adults who are going to push back on any happy hoo-hah, who skate because they enjoy it, and learn to love that world. :)
4. Assuming everything else is the same, Sergey dudakov would still be in Russia. Without her number 1 jump coach, can we assume a repeated success? Sure, there are numerous jump coaches in US, but the top ones aren't looking to share glory with tutberetzi.

As an aside, I remember Grassl stating he wanted to work with tutberetzi. Out of all the federations/academies, would YGA/Italy be willing to work with Eteri?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
First hope is that she doesn't come within a 10-foot pole harness from any US skater.

Second hope that if she does she gets scrutinized to the nines and she and her skaters are continually monitored to ensure that they aren't being abused.

Also some of the kumbaya-ness of this thread is LOL. An adult competition is about the LAST place you would find Eteri Tutberidze.

"Find the joy in skating and not worry about winning." Cute thought. But you can't change a leopard's spots.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
First hope is that she doesn't come within a 10-foot pole harness from any US skater.

Second hope that if she does she gets scrutinized to the nines and she and her skaters are continually monitored to ensure that they aren't being abused.

Also some of the kumbaya-ness of this thread is LOL. An adult competition is about the LAST place you would find Eteri Tutberidze.

"Find the joy in skating and not worry about winning." Cute thought. But you can't change a leopard's spots.

The last thing anyone has ever called me is "kumbaya.":laugh:

I am not saying it is what Eteri would want. I'm not concerned with what she wants. But the only atmosphere in which I would want to see her is that one. With adults who would push back if they felt harmed, belittled, unsafe (and I limit it to those adults, I realize not everyone has that personality. I would require personality screening. :biggrin: )

Whether that would please her, not my issue. :)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Theoretically, where politics is concerned Tutberidze actually can deal imo. Japanese influence in judging increased rather shamelessly last year, so she can trade in judges loyal to her. And States need it without Chen and to solidify positions of their pairs and women in Russians’ absence. Figure Skating world is a snake pit of friends so unsavoury people stayed afloat forever… that’s what politics is, after all, the art of holding one’s nose for advantage and profit. As for parents… parents who are willing to deal with the likes of her are everywhere.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think it is true for women and pairs..
Pairs were strongly positioned to finally overtake the Chinese, but with enforced pause and Moskvina’s retirement, who knows. Tran’kov has a hell of a temperament not conducive to coaching and Tutberidze’s school doesn’t really teach their coaches patience.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
it's a great compliment here :)
I am sure you will appreciate this as it's all about skating ... not jumping ;)

I had never seen this program, or if I did, I didn't remember it. Thanks! Janet is the first skater I remember watching. But it wasn't 1983. ;)

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
Surprise surprise. She is already doing some "informal" consultations while she is still in the US.

Some people here are going to stroke out.
Just for the fun of it, I'd love to see the the verbal contortions of some guys here once an Eteri-coached US lady starts winning all the shiny gold medals they have been craving for for so long ... :laugh:

Lurker11

On the Ice
Bring on eating disorders, breaking pre puberty girls bodies and disposing little girls once their bodies cant keep up with the injuries.
I'm not sure about that. Anna and Sasha are both 18 and ready to go for another season, Kamila, Maiia, Daria all look like normal sized girls.

It's not Russian girls retiring early but Alyssa Liu. Wins a bronze medal and walks away from the sport, says she will never go out on ice ever again. That's quite extreme.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Just for the fun of it, I'd love to see the the verbal contortions of some guys here once an Eteri-coached US lady starts winning all the shiny gold medals they have been craving for for so long ... :laugh:
There's a few of us I know you'd be hard pressed to get that from no matter what. Abuse at cost for a gold medal, no thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.