What's Your Favorite Jump Combination? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

What's Your Favorite Jump Combination?

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist

Globetrotter

Medalist
Am I the only one to think that Yuna's 3F-3T has a bigger wow factor than the 3Lz-3T?

I happen to think so too. She has great speed into the entrance, huge height and coverage. However in terms of 3F-3T, I actually prefer Carolina Kostner. Particularly the one at Sochi and World's 2014 SP. When watched in slo-mo, actually Kostner does get good height on her jumps but I think due to her long legs and physical height, they appear not to get as much lift. While Kostner's jumps may not have the coverage like Yuna Kim, she does approach them at full speed and the running edge and smooth flow out of the jumps are to me better than Kim's. The ideal jumper will have Kim's entrance, jump heights and ice cover plus Kostner's running edge and flow out of the jump. Super ideal if the skater also have Mao's innate sense of musicality and timing on jumps.

NQShamrock

Rinkside
The ideal jumper will have Kim's entrance, jump heights and ice cover plus Kostner's running edge and flow out of the jump. Super ideal if the skater also have Mao's innate sense of musicality and timing on jumps.
I do think Yuna Kim has super innate sense of musicality and timing on her jumps. Mao has her 3A and consistent loop

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Am I the only one to think that Yuna's 3F-3T has a bigger wow factor than the 3Lz-3T? I don't know why but I liked her 3F-3T more, the jumps looked more proportionate and the 3T looked equally high to the 3F. It freaking covered half of the ice rink! Her combo in her 2009 worlds SP has to be one of the greatest moments in figure skating - sheer athleticism combined with elegance, command and great choreography. Good old days!
Regarding her 3Lz-3T, her lutz was too big and to monstrous (as a solo jump is a pure beauty) and the 3T looked a bit pale in comparison (sure, it was way better than any forced 3Lz-3T we see this days)
Her 2A-3T though it's gorgeous. Her 2A is not precisly very high, but it covers LOTS of ice which makes the combination gorgeous looking. Adelina for instance jumps higher (even the 2A) but covers a little less ice than Yuna and her 2A-3T looks sometimes uncomfortable (not wanting to make a Sochi debate, in Sochi, her 2A-3T was at its best) and not as easy looking.

My favorite jump combo is I guess the 2A-3T and basically all combos ending in the 3T. The 3-3Loop almost always look labored (I understand it is a difficult combo). Mao is the only one in history I guess who made that combo look so easy breezy (man, I really miss her).

Any jumping thread must make at least a mention to Han Yan's 3A-3T

I miss her, too, but Tara Lipinski's 3Lo-3Lo combination in Nagano was magnificent. And it was done in the second half of her program.

While I was, and still am, a huge Michelle Kwan fan, I've always believed that combo is what won the gold for Tara, and deservedly so.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I happen to think so too. She has great speed into the entrance, huge height and coverage. However in terms of 3F-3T, I actually prefer Carolina Kostner. Particularly the one at Sochi and World's 2014 SP. When watched in slo-mo, actually Kostner does get good height on her jumps but I think due to her long legs and physical height, they appear not to get as much lift. While Kostner's jumps may not have the coverage like Yuna Kim, she does approach them at full speed and the running edge and smooth flow out of the jumps are to me better than Kim's. The ideal jumper will have Kim's entrance, jump heights and ice cover plus Kostner's running edge and flow out of the jump. Super ideal if the skater also have Mao's innate sense of musicality and timing on jumps.

This. Kostner has the best exits out of her jumps. Her entrances however, are too telegraphed for my liking.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
This. Kostner has the best exits out of her jumps. Her entrances however, are too telegraphed for my liking.

Same here. Sometimes, I count how many seconds she uses before she takes off. Although Lori's choreography does try to mask this, the long wait is too apparent for me. Nonetheless, her jumps are amazing. I do recall some of my volunteering acquaintances (which are all non-skating fans btw) say that she simply like an angel when she jumps while we were watching the Sochi SP event.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I miss her, too, but Tara Lipinski's 3Lo-3Lo combination in Nagano was magnificent. And it was done in the second half of her program.

While I was, and still am, a huge Michelle Kwan fan, I've always believed that combo is what won the gold for Tara, and deservedly so.

That is true, I completely forgot about Tara's magnificent 3L-3L! I guess it's because when I think about 3-3Loop, I usually go to the more common 3Lz-3Loop/ 3F-3Loop. 3L-3L are sooo rare!
Re Kostner: I think the most beautiful combo I've ever seen her do is in her 2007 Worlds SP.

Globetrotter

Medalist
That is true, I completely forgot about Tara's magnificent 3L-3L! I guess it's because when I think about 3-3Loop, I usually go to the more common 3Lz-3Loop/ 3F-3Loop. 3L-3L are sooo rare!
Re Kostner: I think the most beautiful combo I've ever seen her do is in her 2007 Worlds SP.

3R-3R is very tough, that edge to edge jump combo I think is arguably tougher than a toe plus edge type jump. Looking at Tara's triple triples, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVQe8r0LQYE, it does look like her 3R-3R will be mostly ratified under CoP. She essentially cranks up immediately on the 2nd loop with little pre-rotation. I think to get 3X-3R combos passed, the skater has got to be able to very quickly crank up on the 3R after hitting the first triple. It certainly is much tougher than tagging a 3T.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I generally don't rewatch a program just to see the combination, but there are a few.

1. Brian Boitano's 1988 SP had a 3A2R combination, where after he lands the combo, he cleans off his blade and throws the snow. :love: it.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ah3Fmy7hAn0

2. Midori Ito did a 2R3R in her 1988 SP. Huge!! And the second jump higher than the first!!! Note that Midori uses Rippon arms in her solo jump before Adam tied on skates.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Pg8tLyMqTpA

And in her 1988 FS, she does a 2A1R3S...and you might have thought this was a COP innovation?
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=CgIvUjCrlgY

3. One I keep looking for. Before he learned his quad, Kevin van der Perren used to do a 3?3?3? where he moved his head throughout to spot the jump. It was jawdropping. I do not remember what the jumps of the combo were. I can't find a link; I would love to see it again. :bow:

4. Evgeni Plushenko's 4t3t2R and other 3 jump combos. Amazing!

5. The 3Lz 1Lp 3s, done directly from dance steps, from Jason Brown's 2014 US Nationals Riverdance fs. I rewatch the program, but this combo, with audience reaction, is a highlight.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=J61k2XjRryM

Honorable mention to Surya Bonaly's backflip 3S

Yes, Carolina had a memorably good 3f3t, and YuNa a memorably good 3lz3t, but I wouldn't rewatch the programs just to see them.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker

Globetrotter

Medalist
In fact, the first time he did it was worlds 2003, according to the Skate Canada vid and here it is.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=/#/watch?v=rosTPrSqjwY

The SC Commentary says he was first ever to land a 3/3/3

Wow, this was really cool. However with the way CoP scores jump combos, it really is getting unrealistic that anyone will attempt to tag a 3R at the backend of a jump combo, let along a 3 jump combo. They will get more dividends polishing a quad or a 3A. Otherwise, it does not look like its worth risking a 3-3-3 anymore where you can end up with an UR call at the mercy of the tech caller and judges having to give -GOEs. I doubt there will be another daring go for it like van der Perren or Plushenko in this era.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Wow, this was really cool. However with the way CoP scores jump combos, it really is getting unrealistic that anyone will attempt to tag a 3R at the backend of a jump combo, let along a 3 jump combo. They will get more dividends polishing a quad or a 3A. Otherwise, it does not look like its worth risking a 3-3-3 anymore where you can end up with an UR call at the mercy of the tech caller and judges having to give -GOEs. I doubt there will be another daring go for it like van der Perren or Plushenko in this era.
van der Perren did get a 4-3-3 ratified under late COP, but it was a 4T-3T-3T (rather than the -3Lo). Kevin Reynolds landed a 4T-3T-3Lo at 2008 Nationals. As for the old attempts, Plushenko's 4T-3T-3Lo at the 2002-03 GPF should get ratified under COP, imo, but otherwise that last 3Lo is a close call. And should the tech panel not go with you, you also get -GOE for the whole combo even if the first two jumps were perfectly good.

There's really no reason to go for anything tougher than a 4T-2T in the LP under the current system, since you get the same number of points by tagging your -3T and 2T-2Lo (or 1Lo-3S) combos onto your 3As and 3Lzs.

Globetrotter

Medalist
van der Perren did get a 4-3-3 ratified under late COP, but it was a 4T-3T-3T (rather than the -3Lo). Kevin Reynolds landed a 4T-3T-3Lo at 2008 Nationals. As for the old attempts, Plushenko's 4T-3T-3Lo at the 2002-03 GPF should get ratified under COP, imo, but otherwise that last 3Lo is a close call. And should the tech panel not go with you, you also get -GOE for the whole combo even if the first two jumps were perfectly good.

There's really no reason to go for anything tougher than a 4T-2T in the LP under the current system, since you get the same number of points by tagging your -3T and 2T-2Lo (or 1Lo-3S) combos onto your 3As and 3Lzs.

More is the pity. We have practically lost all that can or will tag a 3R as a second jump after Asada decides to sit out the season. Very very few guys even before CoP actually tag a 3R as the second. Will be great to see another well done 3S-3R or the 3R-3R done without looking like a battle. For the guys, I wonder who will dare challenge a 3A-3R. A ratified one deserves a big bonus on the BV!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
More is the pity. We have practically lost all that can or will tag a 3R as a second jump after Asada decides to sit out the season. Very very few guys even before CoP actually tag a 3R as the second. Will be great to see another well done 3S-3R or the 3R-3R done without looking like a battle. For the guys, I wonder who will dare challenge a 3A-3R. A ratified one deserves a big bonus on the BV!
I've heard it's hard to tag a -3Lo directly on the end of a quad/triple axel, because of the amount of control you need on the landing (and usually don't have for jumps of such difficulty?) It's easier to do it after a -3T/2T since that allows you to rebalance... though you consequently have less flow by then, so maybe it's just a trade off.

Plushenko performed 4T-2Lo at the 03-04 GPF. Maybe the 2Lo would've gotten < today, but I thought it looked kinda cool anyway. He also did 4T-3Lo-3Lo and 3Lo-3Lo-3Lo in practice.

I'm trying to think if anyone did 4T-3Lo or 3A-3Lo in competition... and I'm drawing a blank. Surely someone from the 2002 generation must've attempted it? :think: (Honda? Goebel? Weiss? Who was the ultimate loop-jumper?)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I believe Jayson Denommee of Canada did a 3A+3L combo at some point, but it's a very rare combo. I believe Alexander Abt also landed it.