What's your top 5? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What's your top 5?

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Take aways from China:
Peng/Jin's SP is my new everything, I have watched it over a dozen times already
Cannuscio/McManus FD, I thought it was beautiful and I appreciate what this team brings to the table
Patrick Chan's LP, not a big Patrick fan (more because of his mouth than his skating) but I find his interpretation of Eric's music spellbinding
Weaver/Poji's SD, it is fun to watch (but please, lose the raccoon eyes Katelyn)
Ashley: she looked off all weekend, figure it out girl!

And in regards to the technical caller: he didn't play favorites and was nit-picky with all but I don't find it fair that the same standards are not applied at every event. I guess that is a problem in IJS because "rotations are in the eye of the technical caller" and the controllers are all over the place.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My top five

1) Shin Amano - even Tara & Johnny called him out as being really harsh (not by name but "the technical panel")
2) The Shibs' FD - I was iffy on it during SA, but now I'm sold. Just bring a bit more passion to it, and they will continue to challenge P/C and V/M for the world podium
3) Patrick's FS - I've watched it about 5 times already (different commentators)- so good and Radford's music fits him like a glove. I really got a new appreciation seeing him skate live at SC and he is peerless when he's clean. (wish he had skated like this at SC)
4) Jin Boyang's FS - Although I think Patrick deserved the win, he's definitely improved PCS wise since last season. And those jumps are amazing, could use a bit more flow out of them but what he does is WOW.
5) Voronov's FS - I think I'm liking his version of Muse's Exogenesis more than Ashley's at the moment. He zayaked and could use more transitions but despite that, took a surprise bronze medal here.

Haven't seen all the pairs (including the Chinese) yet, but that's what I've got so far.

ETA: It was a good weekend to be Marina Zoueva :)

Last edited:

Fetinia

Rinkside
1. Men's event podium. I liked FS of all three medalist for different reasons: Patrick for his fluidity and quality of execution of all his elements, Jin not only for his technical content, constantly pushing boundaries, but his attempts (successful!) to play a character in his fs, Sergej for pushing different boundaries of what can be accomplished in his age, for quality of his jumps and for my favorite FS of this event.
2. Elena Radionova SP. Also for her being a fighter. She is sort of relegated to the group of Russian ladies fighting for the third spot in the world team but by this performance she proved that she is a force to be reckoned with inside and outside of Russia.
3. Stepanova/Bukin FD, interesting, innovative, for trying to have a face of their own unlike other top and "toppest" teams, who seems to follow the same trend, dancing to seemingly the same style.
4. Kavaguti/Smirnov FP. Where do these two find will and strength to continue? Botched lift aside, this program is beautiful, innovative, with gorgeous transitions worth including to any ice dance program.
5. Canadian team: they medalled on all disciplines here, outside of Canada! Great showing, this team seems like a frontrunner for the team gold in S.Korea in 2018!

Last edited:

eta

Medalist
4. Kovtun after his short program, tossing his dirty snot tissue into the kiss-n-cry planter right on camera, and coach Goncharenko fishing it out in disgust. She was probably thinking: "How did I get so lucky to have such a graceful, classy student? Such a good skater too, that program was pure bliss!" Actually no, she was probably fantasizing about hitchhiking herself right out of China.

5. Kovtun, yet again! Spitting on the ice like a camel before his free program. Epitome of class. Such a gentleman.

He did WHAT?!! Eww.:disagree:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
4. Kovtun after his short program, tossing his dirty snot tissue into the kiss-n-cry planter right on camera, and coach Goncharenko fishing it out in disgust. She was probably thinking: "How did I get so lucky to have such a graceful, classy student? Such a good skater too, that program was pure bliss!" Actually no, she was probably fantasizing about hitchhiking herself right out of China.

5. Kovtun, yet again! Spitting on the ice like a camel before his free program. Epitome of class. Such a gentleman.

He is a disgrace. Also have seen first hand and disliked his mind games / unsportsmanlike conduct during Skate America practices. Karma, Mr. Kovtun...Then on the other hand you have Voronov who during practices applauds after the other skaters' run throughs. What a difference!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
He is a disgrace. Also have seen first hand and disliked his mind games / unsportsmanlike conduct during Skate America practices. Karma, Mr. Kovtun...Then on the other hand you have Voronov who during practices applauds after the other skaters' run throughs. What a difference!

What did you see him do at SA? I'm curious now...can't say I paid close attention to him.

I do wonder if Inna regrets taking him on, but what can she do now? He won't go to a psychologist, so I imagine he wouldn't be keen to go to etiquette classes, either. :laugh:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

What a self-entitled little...snot! And I'm not talking tissue here. :slink:

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What did you see him do at SA? I'm curious now...can't say I paid close attention to him.

I do wonder if Inna regrets taking him on, but what can she do now? He won't go to a psychologist, so I imagine he wouldn't be keen to go to etiquette classes, either. :laugh:

It had to do with right of way issues mostly -- the worst being where he went charging at a skater, and that skater had to sort of jump up onto the boards and hang on to get out of his way. Thank goodness he was paying attention, or he might have been hurt. Intimidation stuff - very uncalled for and so NOT the men who were at SA...I think an etiquette class might be great {{:rofl:}} but probably won't happen...His coach seems like a nice lady and I felt sorry for her.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Also I really hope karne sees these posts, as i'm pretty sure she's the epitome of a Kovtun non-fan.

:devil:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Alright, SchizophrenicSarahSynchro has shut down her Negative Nancy persona and is now here with her top five from CoC:

1. Elena's short program butt wiggle. Such sass. It gives me life. :rock:

2. Patrick Chan, AKA the hamburglar of figure skating, does it again, and GoldenSkate goes wild! The inflation conspiracy theories are getting out of control on here. Regardless, his long program was sublime. :love:

3. Seeing beautiful Peng Cheng, happy, radiant and loving life with her new partner Jin. Does anyone else find it ironic how mature she now appears after splitting from Zhang? She doesn't look like a little girl anymore, she's a beautiful woman out there on the ice, for sure. :yes:

4. Everything about Boyang Jin. Oh, he's just the cutest thing ever! That baby face, I wish I could squish those cheeks. He's has improved SO much in the second mark since last year. Granted, he's still nowhere near Yuzu and PChiddy, and he likely won't achieve their level, not many can. But I look forward to watching him progress over the next few seasons. I love the personality he showed on the ice in all three programs at CoC.

5. Finally, our homegirl Kaetlyn showing the world both here and at her other GP that she's a force to be reckoned with. Sure, her free program had its mistakes at CoC, but overall, she's proving that she's a contender. I am elated to see her make the GPF, the first Canadian lady since Joanne Rochette in 2009. :bow:

Honourable mention goes out to the all-nighter cherry "soda" "rooster" party thrown by my fellow North American, sleep-deprived, manic GoldenSkaters in all the competition threads early Friday and Saturday mornings. I look forward to a redo next weekend for NHK. :ghug: ;)

Another honourable mention goes to Shin Amano, the most savage man in the history of figure skating judging panels. :devil: :laugh2:

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Also I really hope karne sees these posts, as i'm pretty sure she's the epitome of a Kovtun non-fan.

:devil:

I got to this point and I was thinking, just let him try that with Max, if they collided it wouldn't be Max going down hurt...

1. Max's FS - that second quad. Oh my lord, that second quad. :love: And the way he simply restructured his jump passes to fit everything in, and if you didn't know, you wouldn't have guessed.

2. Max's SP - he landed so far forward on that 4S that I thought he was going to faceplant. I certainly thought he wasn't going to combo it and would leave the combo for later. But hot damn, he pulled off a ridiculous triple toe.

3. SPIDERBOYANG. There is no more to say.

4. QUEEN LIZA. My dark and beautiful queen in her queenly gowns, her perfectly beautiful jumps, and her fighting spirit.

5. Shin Amano. I LOVE this guy. So much love. So great to see a caller NOT let so many ladies (especially big name ones) get away with UR.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Alright, SchizophrenicSarahSynchro has shut down her Negative Nancy persona and is now here with her top five from CoC:

1. Elena's short program butt wiggle. Such sass. It gives me life. :rock:

2. Patrick Chan, AKA the hamburglar of figure skating, does it again, and GoldenSkate goes wild! The inflation conspiracy theories are getting out of control on here. Regardless, his long program was sublime. :love:

3. Seeing beautiful Peng Cheng, happy, radiant and loving life with her new partner Jin. Does anyone else find it ironic how mature she now appears after splitting from Zhang? She doesn't look like a little girl anymore, she's a beautiful woman out there on the ice, for sure. :yes:

4. Everything about Boyang Jin. Oh, he's just the cutest thing ever! That baby face, I wish I could squish those cheeks. He's has improved SO much in the second mark since last year. Granted, he's still nowhere near Yuzu and PChiddy, and he likely won't achieve their level, not many can. But I look forward to watching him progress over the next few seasons. I love the personality he showed on the ice in all three programs at CoC.

5. Finally, our homegirl Kaetlyn showing the world both here and at her other GP that she's a force to be reckoned with. Sure, her free program had its mistakes at CoC, but overall, she's proving that she's a contender. I am elated to see her make the GPF, the first Canadian lady since Joanne Rochette in 2009. :bow:

Honourable mention goes out to the all-nighter cherry "soda" "rooster" party thrown by my fellow North American, sleep-deprived, manic GoldenSkaters in all the competition threads early Friday and Saturday mornings. I look forward to a redo next weekend for NHK. :ghug: ;)

Another honourable mention goes to Shin Amano, the most savage man in the history of figure skating judging panels. :devil: :laugh2:

the rooster won't be there next weekend though... perhaps a bit on thursday-friday but yeah... not happening two days in a row next weekend... too busy... i loved reading your reviews, both the positive and negative ones ;)

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry eta, I just realized I totally forgot to post a link to spit-gate from his long program:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SwTGtPz2fHM

It's right at the beginning of the video.

:bang: :palmf: :ddevil:

Oh dear -- somehow it was worse live, but it's still bad. :dumb: Ok, now I'm done with that. There were so many highlights - he was definitely one of the lowlights! He did help me to stay awake through the night with his awful antics.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
the rooster won't be there next weekend though... pe:dance:rhaps a bit on thursday-friday but yeah... not happening two days in a row next weekend... too busy... i loved reading your reviews, both the positive and negative ones ;)

Thanks homie! :agree: That's too bad about next weekend, the rest of us will have to have extra fun on your behalf for when you're reading all the ridiculousness later on. ;)