When figure skating meets Kpop | Page 2 | Golden Skate

When figure skating meets Kpop

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Aaaaaaaaand circling round to the original OP for this thread, at Notte Stellata Yuzu did perform to BTS's Dynamite - he danced onscreen and projected onto the ice, and the others skated (I suspect this was to give him a breather after the Kohei collab) and the joint fandom went bonkers. He did skate/dance to it at the end of Day 3 too :biggrin:

Magill

Record Breaker
Aaaaaaaaand circling round to the original OP for this thread, at Notte Stellata Yuzu did perform to BTS's Dynamite - he danced onscreen and projected onto the ice, and the others skated (I suspect this was to give him a breather after the Kohei collab) and the joint fandom went bonkers. He did skate/dance to it at the end of Day 3 too :biggrin:
Japanese Nippon TV has just posted a YouTube video of Yuzuru dancing casually to BTS's Dynamite at the end of the Notte Stellata show Day 3. It is almost literal recreation of the original BTS dance, yet performed on the ice, satisfying all those who hoped to see him dancing to some kpop, as mentioned in this thread's OP. Great fun! Enjoy!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It does need a lightness of touch but when you have that even though I'm not a great fan, it's such uncomplicated fun :dance3:and the audience loved it.

Okay it was a show, but I will say that I think there needs to be more non-Western music explored in figure skating and yes, I do mean in competition. Kpop may be lightweight, but it's hugely popular and might be a way to expand the narrow boundaries of our hidebound little sport (maybe we can even expand to more and different forms of world music!)

Magill

Record Breaker
It does need a lightness of touch but when you have that even though I'm not a great fan, it's such uncomplicated fun :dance3:and the audience loved it.

Okay it was a show, but I will say that I think there needs to be more non-Western music explored in figure skating and yes, I do mean in competition. Kpop may be lightweight, but it's hugely popular and might be a way to expand the narrow boundaries of our hidebound little sport (maybe we can even expand to more and different forms of world music!)
This is very true.
I think part of Yuzuru's appeal has always been his reaching out for Japanese music and frames of reference, both for shows and competitions. Let's just think of Seimei, Requiem of Heaven and Earth, Hope and Legacy, Heaven and Earth, Hana wa Saku, Haru yo Koi, Masquerade, and more recently Real Face, Raison, Ashura-chan or One Summer's Day.... And more.
At least for me, it made him particularly unique and appealing as I enjoy the world music a lot and he also seemed to be very, very honest about it. I mean, you could really feel he was a part of the culture it was coming from, or it was a part of the culture he was coming from. It just clicked together so well.
As for Dynamite, it may seem light-hearted but it was designed to uplift the spirits during the pandemic and this was exactly the reason why it was chosen for the Notte Stellata soundtrack :)

Last edited: