Which men's skater's artistry do you prefer? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Which men's skater's artistry do you prefer?

vunhung3001

Rinkside
Japanese men: Hanyu, Uno, Daisuke, Tatsuki Machida. Their great skating skills and well-choreographed programs ( Hanyu, Daisuke's) impressed me, I think.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Hanyu's the one who got me back into FS after I had lost interest for many years so obviously his artistry is my preference, and he hasn't disappointed me since.

Other than him, I've always appreciated the out-there type of artistry of the French guys such as Aymoz or Amodio. And I'd certainly have been a great fan of Takahashi and Weir if I had watched back then. From younger skaters I enjoy Junhwan Cha the most - maybe the way he moves reminds me of Hanyu a bit, and it doesn't hurt that he's not opposed to step just a bit outside the box.

I'm on the fence with Jason Brown - there's something Patrick-Chan-like to his skating sometimes that makes me lose the interest, but his SP this year is hands down the best program from an American skater.

On a good day Aliev is my favorite Russian. I usually don't care for the type of programs he typically skates, but there's something to his skating that elevates those programs in my eyes. I guess that's artistry?

Weathergal

Medalist
If you mean all-time men's skaters, I'd say:
Daisuke Takahashi
Stephane Lambiel
as two of my all-time favorites.

I loved their overall sense of style. I found both of them absolutely mesmerizing.

Daisuke's step sequences were legendary, and Stephane's were also pretty awesome - and of course his spins!

They both had an authenticity and a passion that is hard to duplicate.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'm only going to talk about contemporary male skaters. And I think there are important distinctions to be made between performance ability, pure dance ability, and range. Artistry is not a monolith.

In terms of pure dance ability, right now for me that would be Cizeron. I'd also put Takahashi here as well (since he is competing again for the present). I'm curious to see if Aliev continues to progress because he could slot in here in the future as well.

In terms of performance ability (and charisma counts here, charisma counts here for a lot), I'd probably go with Hanyu. Nathan Chen could be the Javi to Hanyu this quad, provided he finds a better balance between the technical demands and the choreography. And I also suspect that Hanyu/Chen will be THE rivalry of this quad.

In terms of range, there is nobody for me who can come close to the range of Jason Brown. Riverdance. The Question of U. The Piano. Love is a Beeyutch. Nessun dorma. Tristan & Iseult. What I find fascinating is that Jason has a very strong style, but the ability to adapt that style to different musical genres. And to have a signature style but the ability to keep that style distinct in different genres is for me one of the hallmarks of true artistry.

Kevin Aymoz, I'm keeping an eye on you. Because I think you can easily make this list. As can Lewis Gibson. And if he can ever get a real handle on his nerves (not to mention his sinuses!), Kolyada.

lurkz2

On the Ice
I love the artistry of Nathan Chen

Same here and IMHO what I love most about Nathan is his range. For me, the hallmark of range is the variety of movements for each musical genre. Even when the sound is on mute, I can often tell the music genre from Nathan's posture and movement.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In terms of range, there is nobody for me who can come close to the range of Jason Brown. Riverdance. The Question of U. The Piano. Love is a Beeyutch. Nessun dorma. Tristan & Iseult. What I find fascinating is that Jason has a very strong style, but the ability to adapt that style to different musical genres. And to have a signature style but the ability to keep that style distinct in different genres is for me one of the hallmarks of true artistry.

Thank you for this description, you phrased it well:agree:

I of course understand that different folks can like different skaters (isn't there some Latin quote about taste;) ). But I don't understand when I hear that Jason is limited or only does "happy" programs. What? 90% of Jason's programs are not "happy". Maybe folks are confusing the personality with the skates?

And I had no idea that Jason could bring the sizzle to the ice the way he does in Love is a B****. None. And I'm a fan.

When you can surprise even your die hard followers, that's artistry.:yes:

And Kevin Aymoz, I'm keeping both eyes on. Now that's a senior debut:biggrin:

truthbooth

On the Ice
Nathan willfind school harder as he goes no. I hope he takes a year off but I think he wants to graduate with his friends.

I believe the current plan is for Nathan to take two years off. So, he'll continue with school next year and then take a leave the following year and during the Olympic year.

On the topic of Nathan -- I find him to have the best body line and the neatest feet of any man right now. The ballet training is evident in his skating and I would love it if he picked a more classical piece in the future to emphasize these qualities. His expression and timing are not quite as good, but he's improving steadily in those areas year over year.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Love Nathan’s style and versatility. Also like Shoma’s artistry a lot - and he’s showing he can be quite versatile as well.

I also appreciate Dmitri Aliev’s artistic qualities - really loved his programs from 2017-18 season:luv17:

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
My number 1. is the one and only Yuzuru Hanyu ofc :luv17: artistry that has no bounds, always on the beat, always in character, always so focused. Every movement is so intricate and has so much meaning, when you watch him live it's impossible not to cry - the emotion is just overwhelming. Pure artistry, there's Yuzu and then everybody else.

Also love:
Javier Fernandez - absolutely incredible connection with music, a born artist as well.
Patrick Chan - dare I say - BEST skating skills in the world, surely helped him to express his wonderful innate artistry.
Shoma's crazy abandon and fluidity, such a pleasure watching him give in to the music.
Jason Brown, Matteo Rizzo and Mikhail Kolyada (who always breaks my heart :drama:)
Sergei Grinkov - I think Sergei was the best pair male skater of all time, he complimented Katia so beautifully, he had wonderful lines and amazing expression. Always with her, you can just see how he presents her to the world, like the unique gem she was and still is. Loved them so so so much.
Scott Moir - never seen Scott so expressive as her was in their last Olympic year, fierce and amazing!
Cong Han - I have to admit I always look at Wenjing all the time just because she has some kind of magnet pulling me in :laugh: but recently I started to watch Cong and he is amazing! So comitted to the music and program!

Also like:
Kevin Aymoz is becoming one of my recent favs for sure.
Nathan kind of started growing on me. He definitely improved since last season.
Guillaume Cizeron - I am not on the P/C bandwagon just yet, but I am getting there slowly because I am in love with this seasons FD!

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Love Nathan’s style and versatility. Also like Shoma’s artistry a lot - and he’s showing he can be quite versatile as well.

I also appreciate Dmitri Aliev’s artistic qualities - really loved his programs from 2017-18 season:luv17:

:agree: to this! I especially enjoyed Dmitri's Masquerade Waltz that program was fabulous! Best costume too!

Shoma's always interesting to watch as well, I've been looking at skating events from a few years back when he did Loco, that was an interesting music choice for sure!

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
:agree: to this! I especially enjoyed Dmitri's Masquerade Waltz that program was fabulous! Best costume too!

I find it really fascinating how different tastes people have - I found Aliev's Masquerade Waltz just dreadful :laugh:

I sometimes wonder 'Jeez, how can anybody enjoy this?' but then of course I know I also enjoy things other people hate, like e.g. tea with milk :biggrin:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I find it really fascinating how different tastes people have - I found Aliev's Masquerade Waltz just dreadful :laugh:

I sometimes wonder 'Jeez, how can anybody enjoy this?' but then of course I know I also enjoy things other people hate, like e.g. tea with milk :biggrin:

Taste is indeed a strange thing, I often find myself loving stuff that other people think are dreadful, but there you go.

I agree about Cong Han in your post before that one, I'm really impressed by him! I mean he's so small compared to the male pair skaters you usually see, but he can throw with the best of them. Artistic too, I especially enjoyed his and Wenjing's exhibition skate with the big fan, must have taken forever to learn the choreo for that one.

Shedi0806

On the Ice
Yuzuru Hanyu. Have always appreciated him very much, but had not been such a diehard fan until Helsinki last year when I saw him in person. I believe there is no other skater like him, the way he just owns the entire arena from the basement to the rafters, his presence is just so special. I felt bad for the other skaters as when he is on the ice it is impossible not to look at him in awe. Speed, ice coverage like no other. Star quality, artistry at the highest level, call it whatever you want, he is just IT. A legend, a genius.

Stephane Lambiel. Oh, the PASSION. He is the skater of my teenage years when I got into skating. His programs have stood the test of time for me, I especially love his Poeta and his Ne Me Quittes Pas EX.

Shoma Uno. Who does not love Shoma? :) He just takes you on a ride with him, he is so exciting to watch, such a talent. His step sequences for me are masterpieces, his spins are things of beauty as well.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand

But how else would you have tea?!!! (LOL I grew up in England)

ankifeather

Final Flight
Yuzuru Hanyu. Have always appreciated him very much, but had not been such a diehard fan until Helsinki last year when I saw him in person. I believe there is no other skater like him, the way he just owns the entire arena from the basement to the rafters, his presence is just so special.

oh I get what you mean... after seeing him in person you feel TV doesn't do him justice, and want to see him live again and again. I love that ethereal, pixie-like 'floating on ice' feel when he skates, an attribute truly unique to him in men. Not to say he has the most gorgeous lines that allow him to form some truly picturesque moments.

Of retired skaters, I really love Jeff Buttle, he just lights up the ice and make me have the biggest smile when he skates. I don't even know why I am so happy when I watch him skate.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Paul Wylie, Matt Savoie, Todd Eldredge (He didn't "wow" me artistically @ first in the early 1990's, but he certainly developed his artistry, and by the mid 1990's, it was starting to show), Brian Orser, Jeff Buttle, Patrick Chan, Kurt Browning, Yuzuru Hanyu, Javi Fernandez, Shoma Uno, Takahiko Kozuka, Daisuke Takahashi, Ilia Kulik, Stephane Lambiel, Denis Ten :cry: , Sergei Grinkov :cry: , Misha Ge, Jason Brown, Joshua Farris, Jonathan Cassar ...

tafattsbarn

Rinkside
Yuzuru Hanyu has moved me like no other skater ever has. He is something truly special.

I also think something very important when it comes to artistry is to have a vision for a program and therefore being very involved in different aspects of it. Without this i'm not sure i would call a skater a true artist.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Aside from the names already mentioned more than once (Lambiel, Jason, Kevin Aymoz, Dima Aliev, Keegan... ) I am already firmly marking Camden Pulkinen, just making a debut in the Sr. circuit this season, and Petr Gumennik who should come up next season. They have been in their own class when it comes to their natural musicality, flow, finesse, elegance and performance skills.

Plus daring to be even more prophetic, Andrei Kutovoi. Praying that he will stay healthy and keep on progressing as he grows.