Who is the best choreographer currently? | Golden Skate

Who is the best choreographer currently?

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Based off discussion in the "Rika Kihira goes to Brian Orser" thread, who do you think is the best choreographer currently? In the past few years? In 6.0?

I think it's Lori Nichol and Tom Dickson, but Stephane Lambiel made an amazing exhibition for Satoko Miyahara this season. David Wilson has done some great work, too. For 6.0, it's Lori Nichol again, and Sandra Bezic.

I've limited my answers to singles skating, but you're welcome to talk Pairs and Ice dance.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rohene Ward:hap10:

Alex Johnson shows a lot of promise.

And Andrew Torgashev is amazing for a young guy doing his own choreo:yes:

Ballade88

On the Ice
Surprisingly, despite all of the criticism Lori gets in recent years, when I think of great COP programs for ladies, her programs are still the first ones that pop in my mind. She gets the award for longevity. For consistency, Tom Dickson, Shae Lynn Bourne, and Pasquale Camerlengo,

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Surprisingly, despite all of the criticism Lori gets in recent years, when I think of great COP programs for ladies, her programs are still the first ones that pop in my mind. She gets the award for longevity. For consistency, Tom Dickson, Shae Lynn Bourne, and Pasquale Camerlengo,

Camerlengo...he was the star some years ago..Where is he working and who did he work for?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When she's inspired, Lori Nichol. I also like Tom Dickson's work for Satoko Miyahara and Rika Kihira.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
Misha Ge, Shae Lynn Bourne, and Jeff Buttle are my favorites. Misha is newer on the choreographer scene but has choreographed amazing programs like Evgenia’s Tosca and Kazuki Tomono’s Moulin Rouge. Shae Lynn and Jeff have been around awhile and have choreographed amazing programs as well (i.e every Yuzu program haha). But they’ve also choreographed very nice and complex programs for many others as well and I love their (and Misha’s) style:hap10:

Edit: I forgot Benoit Richaud!!! I have loved the work he has done with Bradie and Kaori these past few years, love his style too!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really like Shae Lynn Bourne

I second that. She has quirky music taste (I think her husband is a professional music producer and helps create her music cuts) and is able to bring out the best in her clients (think Nathan, Ashley, Wakaba, even Nic Nadeau's Depeche Mode program which he kept for 2 seasons).

I also like what Benoit has done with Bradie Tennell - he's able to bring out her personality more and give her some interesting choreo.

Other faves are Jeff Buttle and Lori Nichol (her work with Sui/Han is sublime). Why are so many of the good choreographers Canadian, lol?

Ballade88

On the Ice
Another great Canadian choreographer was Toller Cranston. His Last Emperor free skate for Lu Chen was one of the most unique programs ever. I wished he made more programs. I am also interested to see how Akiko develops as a choreographer. Her Chicago free skate for Eun Soo Lim showed promise.

Camerlengo...he was the star some years ago..Where is he working and who did he work for?

I know. He's underrated. He did the free dance for Weaver and Poje in their last season. He was great at tailoring the choreography to highlight the skater's strengths. His programs for Daisuke and Akiko were wonderful. He also made Alissa Czisny's best program that highlighted her spins.

rain

Record Breaker
Lori Nichol, Shae Lynn Bourne, Marie-France Dubreuil, David Wilson, Jeff Buttle.

In the past I've absolutely loved a bunch of stuff from Marina Zoueva and Sandra Bezic, Camerlengo.

Pantsu

On the Ice
The answer is obvious
Daniil Gleikhengauz
Anna SP, FS, EX Alyona SP, FS Sasha EX Kamila SP, FS
Just to name a few masterpieces

Roast Toast

Medalist
Lori with her pet skaters is unbeatable and has choreographed for basically all of my favorite ladies + Sui/Han. Shout-out to Carol Lane who seems to have struck a nice vein with G/P although her choreo for other teams is a bit nondescript for me.

Ballade88

On the Ice
Lori with her pet skaters is unbeatable and has choreographed for basically all of my favorite ladies + Sui/Han. Shout-out to Carol Lane who seems to have struck a nice vein with G/P although her choreo for other teams is a bit nondescript for me.

Lori and Sandra Bezic are really unparalleled at their best. I can see their influence in the current generation of Canadian choreographers. Wilson draws inspiration from Bezic, and Jeffrey Buttle, being a Kwan fan, clearly gets inspiration from the Lori-Kwan programs. The thing that impresses me about Lori is how avant-garde she can get when she gets inspired. The exotic character piece of Salome, unique take on Bolero, and the mysterious and passionate Ritual Fire Dance.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I know. He's underrated. He did the free dance for Weaver and Poje in their last season. He was great at tailoring the choreography to highlight the skater's strengths. His programs for Daisuke and Akiko were wonderful. He also made Alissa Czisny's best program that highlighted her spins.

I know his old works. Wich skaters skated his choreography in last season for example?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know his old works. Wich skaters skated his choreography in last season for example?

Camerlengo has choreographed for US Pair Ashley Cain-Gribble and Timothy Leduc for the past 2 seasons, including the FS they won 2019 nationals with: W.E. soundtrack. He was working with them via internet during shut-down, with an eye to this next year's FS.

Camerlengo is listed as co-choreographer with Igor Shpilband for Avonley Nguyen and Vadym Kolesnik, ice dancers who are 2020 World Junior Champions.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Shae-Lynn, Sam Chouinard, Carol Lane, Jeremy Abbott, Stephane Lambiel, Kurt Browning, and I will agree that Alex Johnson is showing potential.

ETA: Charlie White