Who will be invited to 2019-20 GP series? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Who will be invited to 2019-20 GP series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Are we sure she’ll go senior?

She may have a decision to make as far as whether she wants to go for the GP/JGP; but yes, I think we're pretty sure she'll debut in senior competition. Yelim did the U.S. Classic as a senior this season before competing as a junior on the JGP before competing as a senior at 4CCs. All these top Korean ladies aging into seniors internationally have been competing in senior competition at home for years.

NaVi

Medalist
Young You would certainly get at least 1 spot if she went senior and most likely would get 2. I would bet she would get 2 spots. There are 16 Russians ahead of her on the seasons best list and it's likely 7 of them won't get selected for the grand prix. She's ahead of the 9th highest scoring Japanese skater so I think she'd get two spots before Japan was given a full slate of 18 spots.

I would bet on Korean ladies skaters getting at least 6 spots. Hopefully one at every event but I could see them doubling up at one or two of the vents... probably Cup of China.

figurefan0726

Final Flight
Does the WS only show skaters that have not retired or has committed to compete next season? Kaetlyn Osmond is not there even though she has points from the 2017-18 season, but others like Kostner, Nagasu, and Wagner are still posted.

bennorii

On the Ice
Does the WS only show skaters that have not retired or has committed to compete next season? Kaetlyn Osmond is not there even though she has points from the 2017-18 season, but others like Kostner, Nagasu, and Wagner are still posted.

Skaters' feds choose whether they want to take a skater of the WS list or not.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Does the WS only show skaters that have not retired or has committed to compete next season?

No. Most of the time skaters stay on the list until they run out of points, regardless of whether they plan to compete the upcoming season. When athletes officially announce retirements, there is a higher chance of seeing their federation officially remove an athlete from the list.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I sincerely do not understand how Hubbell/Donohue can be ahead of Papadakis/Cizeron on the basis of a Grand Prix gold, the Grand Prix Final, and one Challenger. P/C won Europeans while H/D came fourth at their equivalent, they won Worlds while H/D came third; and in the previous season they won every competition they entered other than second place at the Olympics.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I sincerely do not understand how Hubbell/Donohue can be ahead of Papadakis/Cizeron on the basis of a Grand Prix gold, the Grand Prix Final, and one Challenger. P/C won Europeans while H/D came fourth at their equivalent, they won Worlds while H/D came third; and in the previous season they won every competition they entered other than second place at the Olympics.

Winning GPF is 800 points and winning the CS event is 300. That's 1100 points that PC don't have. What happened at Euros/4CCs is irrelevant because you only count points from one ISU championship, and both teams got more at Worlds. The difference between them at Worlds is only 228 points.

figurefan0726

Final Flight
No. Most of the time skaters stay on the list until they run out of points, regardless of whether they plan to compete the upcoming season. When athletes officially announce retirements, there is a higher chance of seeing their federation officially remove an athlete from the list.

Thanks for clarifying!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
WS30. SURELY Brendan will get two straight up this year?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
WS30. SURELY Brendan will get two straight up this year?

I don't think any skater not guaranteed a spot is surely going to get 2.

For example, Nam was 26th on the SB list and the WS list after 2016-17, and only got 1 GP initially in 2017, then picked up a 2nd as a replacement. He was 28th SB and 27th after 2017-18 and only got 1 spot initially again for the 2018 GP (he got the SC TBD for the 2nd spot). And both years that's higher that Brendan this year (WS 30 / SB 35). So I would guess 1 initially.

Nirti

Medalist
Russia (18 spots) - Zagitova, Medvedeva, Samodurova all guaranteed 2. I then guess Tuktamysheva, Trusova, Shcherbakova and Kostornaia 2 each, with the 4 remaining spots split between the other 5 ‘guaranteed’ skaters i.e. Sakhanovich, Tarusina, Gubanova, Konstantinova and Sotskova.

What "guaranteed" does exactly mean for the ISU? Sakhanovich, Tarusina, etc... are guaranteed one spot unless Russian Fed decide not to send them to GP?

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
What "guaranteed" does exactly mean for the ISU? Sakhanovich, Tarusina, etc... are guaranteed one spot unless Russian Fed decide not to send them to GP?

From what I know, the federation submits skaters for GP spots. So if you are guaranteed one spot AND your federation submits you than you will actually be guaranteed one GP spot.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And the short answer is, the more comps you enter and do well, the more you earn.

I think this was the whole purpose of world standings in the first place -- to try to get top skaters to participate in events like Finlandia, Ondrej Nepala, Four Continents. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.