Who's making GPF 2021 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who's making GPF 2021

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
The word you are looking for is a contender, not pretender, because pretender is a derogatory term, meaning that the claim is unjust, i.e. you are saying that Semenenko and Kolyada are unfairly usurping someone else’s place, instead of competing on the same terms as everyone else and having a fair and equal chance to win.
A contender? All right. Thanks!

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Another way to say that is "could it possibly happen". In other words, is it possible. The word that you chose for that delineation.

And it doesn't involve a weird set of tiebreakers or things out of their control. All they have to do is win their next event.

Are you trying to pick a fight with me? :laugh:

That one is very high on a list of unlikely events,
The "weird tie breakers" have a higher chance of happening
because the men's event has more potential to be fickle
But I changed it in the OP for you,
Move on

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Am I the only one who has a persistent feeling that Shun Sato is going to GP final?

I'm not sure if this feeling makes me happy though :laugh:

Well, It all depends on Kolyada's FS

So it could happen

But I can't see the judges dropping Kolyada that far,
He would have to really help them

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Well, It all depends on Kolyada's FS

So it could happen

But I can't see the judges dropping Kolyada that far,
He would have to really help them
That was tight.
The above feeling was all in Misha's eyes in K&C... with a happy ending this time, congratulations! :laugh:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A contender? All right. Thanks!

Anna, may I ask if English is not your first language?

The Latin root of “pretender” is to claim, so in Romance languages it is used as you intended: persons who are making claims, such as to a GPF spot. Somehow in modem English the word has developed a negative connotation, but not always (pretender to the throne is not negative, for example, but someone with a claim to the throne).

in any event, for the men, all the claims to the GPF have been settled :)

Tavi...

Record Breaker

The Latin root of “pretender” is to claim, so in Romance languages it is used as you intended: persons who are making claims, such as to a GPF spot. Somehow in modem English the word has developed a negative connotation, but not always (pretender to the throne is not negative, for example, but someone with a claim to the throne).

E.g., a “pretender to the throne.”

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
This season’s GP, both junior and senior, is plagued by abnormalities (those two no questions asked Japanese entries into final in JGP still takes the cake). I understand that man’s field is chaotic so the judges are searching for some sort of consistency in determining top men, but it was all over the place and efforts to put the same men on the podiums in all events were evident. But men resisted, lol. I think they need to start accepting that men will qualify with a wider spread of placements in the future. Their ability to perform on different rinks and days is too random.

From what I have seen, my final comp would have been Uno, Zhou, Chen, Grassl, Kagiyama and Sato with Tomono or Ignatov as first alt.

Last edited:

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia

Your guess is right. English is not my first language and I learned it after I had studied Latin for one year (my knowledge of Latin language has significantly faded since then but it still helps greatly when I am dealing with Romance languages).

Obviously, the word “pretender” can be used in English in any of its meanings as long as the context is clear. And, talking about context, it is definitely better to stay clear from any possible negative connotations right before sports events when passions are a bit heated :laugh:

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Riku and Ryuichi made the Final!
Pairs:
Mishina / Galliamov Sui / Han Tarasova / Morozov Boikova / Kozlovskii Pavliuchenko / Khodykin Miura / Kihara

Ice Dance:
Papadakis / Cizeron
Sinitsina / Katsalapov
Hubbell / Donohue
Gilles / Poirier
Chock / Bates
Guignard / Fabbri

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When was the last time we had three men the GPF?

Three US men skated in the 2017-18 GPF (Nathan, Adam and Jason) but IIRC, Jason was the first alternate, and was entered when Boyang withdrew.

The last time that three US men qualified for the GPF initially (that is, not as alternates) was 2009-10: Evan L., Jeremy Abbott and Johnny Weir.