Why are Jackson skates so stinky? | Golden Skate

Why are Jackson skates so stinky?

SmallAminal

On the Ice
It's been a while since I've posted or been on the forum, but I had a question for you all:

Why are Jackson skates so stinky (in the literal odor sense)? Specifically, our experience is with Jackson Debut and Premiere. Yes, my skater does skate a lot, but we use a boot dryer, odor absorbers, etc. Previously, my skater was in Edea boots for many years, which did get stinky after a while, but nowhere near as stinky as the Jackson boots. With Edea, you had to stick your face in the boot to be bothered by the smell (which was definitely stinky, but just more or less confined to the boot). With the Jacksons, if they are in the trunk of the large SUV, we are smelling them STRONGLY at the front of the car when we drive. Also, when we put them on the boot dryer (air dry setting only), you can literally smell them on another floor because of the air blowing through them.

Most other skaters we know that have these Jackson models have the same problem. Does anyone know *why* they are so stinky? It really only took 1 week of wear to get them to a super nasty stinky state. Also, has anyone discovered the secret to keeping these fresher (understanding that skates will never smell "fresh")? We do the obvious stuff, but anything else you guys recommend? I have been reluctant to sprinkle powders into the boots for fear of how it may interact with the boot materials, but if this is safe and could help, let me know.

I feel like the fact that they get so extra stinky impacts their resale value - we had one pair that were worn only for a month but they were so gross smelling that I wasn't sure they could be sold. Also, I just really have a hard time with how bad these smell (the odor is like cat pee but on steroids and with the power to waft through the whole house).

They are downstairs on the boot dryer now and I can literally smell them upstairs as I type! These boots have only been worn for about 6 weeks! Send help please!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It's been a while since I've posted or been on the forum, but I had a question for you all:

Why are Jackson skates so stinky (in the literal odor sense)? Specifically, our experience is with Jackson Debut and Premiere. Yes, my skater does skate a lot, but we use a boot dryer, odor absorbers, etc. Previously, my skater was in Edea boots for many years, which did get stinky after a while, but nowhere near as stinky as the Jackson boots. With Edea, you had to stick your face in the boot to be bothered by the smell (which was definitely stinky, but just more or less confined to the boot). With the Jacksons, if they are in the trunk of the large SUV, we are smelling them STRONGLY at the front of the car when we drive. Also, when we put them on the boot dryer (air dry setting only), you can literally smell them on another floor because of the air blowing through them.

Most other skaters we know that have these Jackson models have the same problem. Does anyone know *why* they are so stinky? It really only took 1 week of wear to get them to a super nasty stinky state. Also, has anyone discovered the secret to keeping these fresher (understanding that skates will never smell "fresh")? We do the obvious stuff, but anything else you guys recommend? I have been reluctant to sprinkle powders into the boots for fear of how it may interact with the boot materials, but if this is safe and could help, let me know.

I feel like the fact that they get so extra stinky impacts their resale value - we had one pair that were worn only for a month but they were so gross smelling that I wasn't sure they could be sold. Also, I just really have a hard time with how bad these smell (the odor is like cat pee but on steroids and with the power to waft through the whole house).

They are downstairs on the boot dryer now and I can literally smell them upstairs as I type! These boots have only been worn for about 6 weeks! Send help please!
I've always used baking soda.
Mix ¼ cup of baking soda, ¼ cup of baking powder, and ½ cup of cornstarch. Put the mix in a pair of cotton socks or sprinkle the mixture in both shoes(skates) and leave overnight.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I've always used baking soda.
Mix ¼ cup of baking soda, ¼ cup of baking powder, and ½ cup of cornstarch. Put the mix in a pair of cotton socks or sprinkle the mixture in both shoes(skates) and leave overnight.
I'm definitely gonna try this - i was always reluctant to put any powders in there for fear of degrading the boot materials, but I will definitely try. I have some old socks to make our own odor eaters as well. we may try both at same time. Thanks!

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Is your skater a male beginning puberty?
pre-pubescent child and not stinky generally speaking. I do attribute the sudden stinkiness to the skate change. Doesn't have a problem with stinky shoes. i know everybody's skates will get stinky, but this is really something else! Another skater at our rink has same problem with Debut. I feel like the material retains moisture more easily as they take waaaay longer to dry out than Edeas.

Mimi2789

Rinkside
I had the exact same experience with my Premieres. I think there is something going on with the lining that is trapping moisture and bacteria inside of the boot. I never have an issue with my shoes smelling nor do my current skates smell particularly bad. I mean they don't smell GOOD (lol) but they don't smell even 1/10th as bad as my Premieres did. After having them for only a week or two the smell was unbearable - exactly as you describe. I take incredibly good care of my skates too - as soon as they are off my feet they go into a ventilated bag for the drive home and then get immediately aired out to dry. I also wear a clean pair of skating socks every time I skate. So glad to be rid of those skates that caused me nothing but issues and pain.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I wear Jacksons and they don't smell at all, let alone stink. The only pair of boots I've ever had that I felt a bit suspicious about were my Risport Royal Pros, and I attributed that to the fact that they weren't leather and had textile lining. My Jackson Elite Pros (lovely beige coaching slippers) are leather. I'm not entirely convinced that the lining is leather but it feels like suede rather than the obviously manmade stuff of the Debuts.

Try using a deodorant crystal on your child's feet. They are remarkably effective.

looper

Spectator
It is actually the materials used in the boot that contain the moisture and become smelly just like hockey equipment. The retention of moisture creates bacteria as well and that is the smell. Edea uses some of the same materials and they do also smell but not as strong. The "new age" boots use less expensive materials in general to make the boots and although lighter they last about 1/2 or less as long too. Many contain fiberboard with epoxy as the stiffener. Again it is light but never is intended to bend at all and if they do the boot is done and needs to be replaced.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I had the exact same experience with my Premieres. I think there is something going on with the lining that is trapping moisture and bacteria inside of the boot. I never have an issue with my shoes smelling nor do my current skates smell particularly bad. I mean they don't smell GOOD (lol) but they don't smell even 1/10th as bad as my Premieres did. After having them for only a week or two the smell was unbearable - exactly as you describe. I take incredibly good care of my skates too - as soon as they are off my feet they go into a ventilated bag for the drive home and then get immediately aired out to dry. I also wear a clean pair of skating socks every time I skate. So glad to be rid of those skates that caused me nothing but issues and pain.
RIGHT, I mean skates never smell "good" but everyone with Debut and Premiere is literally dying of the stench.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I wear Jacksons and they don't smell at all, let alone stink. The only pair of boots I've ever had that I felt a bit suspicious about were my Risport Royal Pros, and I attributed that to the fact that they weren't leather and had textile lining. My Jackson Elite Pros (lovely beige coaching slippers) are leather. I'm not entirely convinced that the lining is leather but it feels like suede rather than the obviously manmade stuff of the Debuts.

Try using a deodorant crystal on your child's feet. They are remarkably effective.
Its really these two models of Debut and Premiere where we've noticed it (at least at our rink those in these models have issues - elite skaters in high level boots don't report same issue). High level skaters in the very high level Jackson skates don't report the same thing (again, skates are always gonna smell a bit funky, but Premier and Debut skates are something else). My skaters feet don't actually smell bad and none of the shoes/sneakers smell bad, but maybe we will try some kind of deodorizer on the foot, as you suggest. I can't imagine how much worse it would be with stinky feet!