Why Haven't Worlds Come Back To The US? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Why Haven't Worlds Come Back To The US?

mrrice

Record Breaker
They had Worlds in L.A. in 2009. and I don't think it made money. Los Angeles is a great city but, it does not have the best public transportation. I live in Central Ca. so either city is fine with me. San Diego is a beautiful city but I don't know if they have a rink there.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
San Diego doesn't need to have a rink, they just need to have a multi-purpose venue capable of setting up a rink.... which should be no big deal. Most arena can handle that.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
there were rumors that Detroit would go for 2024 but i have no idea how true that is. that would be amazing.
I attended Nats in 2019 in Detroit and thought it was great. The venue is fantastic, there are hotels nearby, it was well organized. It would have been nice if the weather had been a little kinder to us, but the event organization and the venue were A+. I'd go back there in a heartbeat.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
I wonder about Lake Placid or Salt Lake City. Didn't they host the Olympics a while back? I know Lake Placid is a Team USA base.. Could they host Worlds?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ā›øļø
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I wonder about Lake Placid or Salt Lake City. Didn't they host the Olympics a while back? I know Lake Placid is a Team USA base.. Could they host Worlds?
SLC has been trying to get the Olympics and have been continuously outbid, so doubtful.

kwalker

Rinkside
NOBODY wants to go to Detroit. The city is terrible!
I haven't attended any skating competitions at the new arena but I have been to quite a few Red Wings games there. Little Cesar's Arena is beautiful and a big upgrade from Joe Louis Arena, though the JLA will always be sentimental to me (there was just sooo much history in that building). Plus it's so close to Canada that many Canadians would travel to attend as well.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
The city itself does matter too. Worlds is a big event, and it is really expensive to hold, but ticket sales, hotels, restaurants, etc. could give the city a lot of money.. if done right. What is the public transportation situation? Are there enough hotels? Restaurants? Things for people to do? Also, is the city itself ready? If big events happen in a city all the time (like NYC, LA) then the businesses and people are used to it. Traffic, delays, closed roads, hotel bookings, crowds, can the city handle it?

All these little things add up.. and you have to consider all of them and more when planning a big event like the World Championships, or it could end up a disaster.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ā›øļø
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The city itself does matter too. Worlds is a big event, and it is really expensive to hold, but ticket sales, hotels, restaurants, etc. could give the city a lot of money.. if done right. What is the public transportation situation? Are there enough hotels? Restaurants? Things for people to do? Also, is the city itself ready? If big events happen in a city all the time (like NYC, LA) then the businesses and people are used to it. Traffic, delays, closed roads, hotel bookings, crowds, can the city handle it?

All these little things add up.. and you have to consider all of them and more when planning a big event like the World Championships, or it could end up a disaster.
Did I not say this in post #14 on page one?!?!

Weathergal

Medalist
Although I certainly hope the US hosts Worlds soon, my first concern is Montreal getting another chance to host. I understand that bids and commitments are made well ahead of time, but as long as Skate Canada and Montreal are still interested, I think it should be a priority for the ISU to award Worlds to them.

If I had to pick a US city to host Worlds, I wouldn't be against Detroit for the reasons others mentioned, but Chicago sticks out to me as good possibility. Large city with two airports, lots to do, hotels and restaurants aplenty, and many skaters from the area so hopefully enough active local rinks from which to draw volunteers.

campbellka

Rinkside
I went to the Worlds in Minneapolis and only live about 90 miles from there. It was amazing to see Michelle Kwan. I remember during the event when I was out and about, I saw Annissina & Peizerat walking with their suitcases.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Boston Worlds was excellent. The venue was right in the downtown part of the city and the public transportation is great. I think it made money, too. The main events were sell-outs or near sell-outs. And Boston is such a fun city. I hadn't been there in a long time and it was just as interesting, with many things to do and sights to see, as I had remembered it.