Why Haven't Worlds Come Back To The US? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Why Haven't Worlds Come Back To The US?

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
I was at Boston Worlds in 2016. It was one of the best trips I have ever taken, period. Beautiful city, easy access to transportation, great downtown, wonderful hotels and restaurants and an easy location to fly in to. I would go back there in a heartbeat. Japan has certainly hosted many events, so I think it's time to bring back the championships back to north America.

sillylionlove29

Rinkside
I wonder about Lake Placid or Salt Lake City. Didn't they host the Olympics a while back? I know Lake Placid is a Team USA base.. Could they host Worlds?
The problem with Lake Placid is that it’s not easy to get to. The closest airports are either in Canada in Montreal or New York or Boston. Plus, the weather there in March can be tricky. I remember in 2009 at Skate America how much people were complaining about how difficult it was getting there. Plus they don’t have a ton of hotels there and in March they are still sold out with people there for other winter sports such as skiing at Whiteface mountain. Plus public transportation isn’t exactly great there so you definitely need a car to get around if you aren’t at the hotel next to the arena.

Jhar55

Medalist
I think Nashville TN would be great place, middle country, nice airport and plenty hotels. Downtown walkable for restaurants and hotels. But like most say about money.

macy

Record Breaker
I think Nashville TN would be great place, middle country, nice airport and plenty hotels. Downtown walkable for restaurants and hotels. But like most say about money.
Nashville is holding US Nats this coming season, hopefully they have luck with it. Nashville is a popular spot in the US.

Manuel Pablo Arnao

Figure Skating Fan & Real Estate Agent in LA!
On the Ice
They had Worlds in L.A. in 2009. and I don't think it made money. Los Angeles is a great city but, it does not have the best public transportation. I live in Central Ca. so either city is fine with me. San Diego is a beautiful city but I don't know if they have a rink there.
Now there's Uber, Lyft, buses, train is ever expanding, etc...

Manuel Pablo Arnao

On the Ice
I wonder about Lake Placid or Salt Lake City. Didn't they host the Olympics a while back? I know Lake Placid is a Team USA base.. Could they host Worlds?
Lake Placid is completely isolated and SLC is already being nominated to host the 2030 Olympics I think

Manuel Pablo Arnao

On the Ice
Although I certainly hope the US hosts Worlds soon, my first concern is Montreal getting another chance to host. I understand that bids and commitments are made well ahead of time, but as long as Skate Canada and Montreal are still interested, I think it should be a priority for the ISU to award Worlds to them.

If I had to pick a US city to host Worlds, I wouldn't be against Detroit for the reasons others mentioned, but Chicago sticks out to me as good possibility. Large city with two airports, lots to do, hotels and restaurants aplenty, and many skaters from the area so hopefully enough active local rinks from which to draw volunteers.
Chicago would be nice if it was actually held in Chicago and not in 'Hoffman Estates' like Skate America/Nationals was held a couple years ago. Hoffman Estates is like an hour from Downtown Chicago.

What was great about 2009 Worlds was that is was in Downtown LA at Staples Center and everyone loved coming to LA for Worlds. We need to do this again but in the actually cities, not the suburbs like Anaheim where Four Continents was held a couple years ago.

Manuel Pablo Arnao

On the Ice
Yes, I'm so sick of Japan always hosting everything...

I think one of the following cities should host it: Los Angeles, Washington DC, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, Cincinnati, New Orleans, NYC, Miami. And I mean these actual cities, not suburbs.

I loved Worlds in Boston, best time ever! But I think it should go to one of the cities I mentioned, who have never hosted a major figure skating competition or haven't in a long time. You have to shake things up and experience new things- one of the reasons why I hate them always giving it to San Jose, ugh.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Although I certainly hope the US hosts Worlds soon, my first concern is Montreal getting another chance to host. I understand that bids and commitments are made well ahead of time, but as long as Skate Canada and Montreal are still interested, I think it should be a priority for the ISU to award Worlds to them.

If I had to pick a US city to host Worlds, I wouldn't be against Detroit for the reasons others mentioned, but Chicago sticks out to me as good possibility. Large city with two airports, lots to do, hotels and restaurants aplenty, and many skaters from the area so hopefully enough active local rinks from which to draw volunteers.
Chicago world be fabulous for me. 4 hour train ride.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Bulls and the Black Hawks have busy schedules at the United Center in March, and it might be hard to get volunteers to make the trip to the United Center. It could probably only be held at the Sears Center. I know that disappointed many people for Sk Amer, because they didn't like being out in the boonies. Sears is still a good venue though.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
The Bulls and the Black Hawks have busy schedules at the United Center in March, and it might be hard to get volunteers to make the trip to the United Center. It could probably only be held at the Sears Center. I know that disappointed many people for Sk Amer, because they didn't like being out in the boonies. Sears is still a good venue though.
I've been to both, but is Allstate Arena smaller than the Sears Center? Allstate Arena is closer to Chicago proper.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Chicago world be fabulous for me. 4 hour train ride.
For Skate America, I’m going to think positive thoughts about Hershey PA, Atlantic City, and similarly accessible places in the tristate area that have hosted events in the less-recent past. Washington DC would also be a good choice!
When will the GP series locations that are TBA be announced, anybody know?

Last edited: