Why skating in the U.S. is strugglng | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Why skating in the U.S. is strugglng

RABID

Final Flight
It is not that the skaters are not strong enough to get a medal. Just mental toughness is appreciated.
Besides, the World Championships will be held in Boston 2016. I don't doubt that US will have at least a medal in any of single disciplines.

And what if an American medal, especially in the ladies event, seems unearned?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In men's it will be very tough (especially if Chan returns) - simply because the US men are technically not strong/consistent enough to medal... their best jumper isn't very artistic, and their best artistic skater isn't the strongest jumper (well, we'll see if Brown gets his quad). In ladies, it's possible -- Ashley is still hungry, and Gold regained some confidence -- however you'd have to think that with Medvedeva possibly joining Tukt and Radionova and even Lipnitskaia returning to form hopefully, the Russians will monopolize the podium.

I would say Josh is the US most artistic male skater at the moment and is a stronger jumper then Jason though he didn't show it at Worlds.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
In men's it will be very tough (especially if Chan returns) - simply because the US men are technically not strong/consistent enough to medal... their best jumper isn't very artistic, and their best artistic skater isn't the strongest jumper (well, we'll see if Brown gets his quad). In ladies, it's possible -- Ashley is still hungry, and Gold regained some confidence -- however you'd have to think that with Medvedeva possibly joining Tukt and Radionova and even Lipnitskaia returning to form hopefully, the Russians will monopolize the podium.

If Josh gets more consistent or Jason gets a quad, they could challenge for the top spots.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It's not a quad. His 3a was downgraded. If he landed second triple axel it could have been better. Triple axel is 8 and quad is 10. He still needs clean triple axels. If they can't see how he does when he's clean at the world level with axels why move to quad? And people do quad and two triple axels or a chan two quad one triple axel.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
It's not a quad. His 3a was downgraded. If he landed second triple axel it could have been better. Triple axel is 8 and quad is 10. He still needs clean triple axels. If they can't see how he does when he's clean at the world level with axels why move to quad? And people do quad and two triple axels or a chan two quad one triple axel.

It's a year away. Who knows what can happen in a year of solid training? Jason is exceedingly well paced. He is fourth in the world with a downgraded triple axel and no quad. With a quad in the SP and FS and without a DG, his scores would be comparable with Javi/DTen. It's just math.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
It's a year away. Who knows what can happen in a year of solid training? Jason is exceedingly well paced. He is fourth in the world with a downgraded triple axel and no quad. With a quad in the SP and FS and without a DG, his scores would be comparable with Javi/DTen. It's just math.

Jason's scores may go up quite a bit over the next season...but so could the other men's scores. This was in fact a rather low-scoring event for a Worlds wasn't it? Very few clean or nearly-clean performances.

Arg, it's impossible to predict. :bang:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That's shat make the men so thrilling...and so frustrating, lol.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Well culture and sport has changed over the past decades. Girls/Women are not restricted to previous girly sport like gymnastic and skating. They wanted what boys are doing, more extreme and exciting sports. Also like other said, Americans only root and praise for winner. If you are winning, famous and on a roll, everyone will roots for you and want to be your friends. Once you hit a slump, you will be left in the dust. It's much harder for individual sport like figure skating, because you are on your own and there is no team support. At least gymnastic has a team feeling and you can fight for a team medal as well as individual glory.

gmyers

Record Breaker

But wouldn't he also be higher scoring just if he did two fully rotated and landed triple axels in a fs. He usually does one ratified 3a in a fs now. Doing a quad toe in a fs still would usually mean 2 triple axels. Adding quad toe in sp would be most effective. That would provide the most bump upward in scores but fs score probably wouldn't change much. He's looking at a what would be 2 more points in a fs.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
And what if an American medal, especially in the ladies event, seems unearned?

Home ice may provide a certain advantage but without solid skating, there won't be any medals. And I say this as an American who's been dying to see a US woman on the podium again (men & pairs, too, for that matter).

More importantly: here's hoping it's a clean, fierce competition without any judging controversies and where every skater is able to produce his/her very best when it counts. If that happens, I'll be happy no matter who wins!

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
But wouldn't he also be higher scoring just if he did two fully rotated and landed triple axels in a fs. He usually does one ratified 3a in a fs now. Doing a quad toe in a fs still would usually mean 2 triple axels. Adding quad toe in sp would be most effective. That would provide the most bump upward in scores but fs score probably wouldn't change much. He's looking at a what would be 2 more points in a fs.

I don't understand your math. I am assuming he would keep 2 3as if he gets a 4t. I assume part of his training this summer will be to rectify the 3a issues.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I don't understand your math. I am assuming he would keep 2 3as if he gets a 4t. I assume part of his training this summer will be to rectify the 3a issues.

My math was relying on brown just replacing the second triple axel with a quad toe. Not doing two triple axels and a quad. He has big problems doing that second triple axel.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
My math was relying on brown just replacing the second triple axel with a quad toe. Not doing two triple axels and a quad. He has big problems doing that second triple axel.

I assume he will not replace the 2nd triple axel with the quad toe. I think he'll get rid of the 2a at the end of the program. He does have problems but I'm sure his team is aware and will work on it. Many years ago I skated at the same rink as Jason and Kori. She's not dumb.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I assume he will not replace the 2nd triple axel with the quad toe. I think he'll get rid of the 2a at the end of the program. He does have problems but I'm sure his team is aware and will work on it. Many years ago I skated at the same rink as Jason and Kori. She's not dumb.

Jason claims to have been a demon child that threw tantrums, was he young enough you got to see any?

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Jason claims to have been a demon child that threw tantrums, was he young enough you got to see any?

Nah, not really. I'm 6 years older than him. I remember her a lot more than I remember him! He was just one of a few (talented) pre-teens running around and annoying me when I had important things to be doing, like texting boys (oh, to be 16 again!). She's a really cool/smart woman though. I seriously doubt she's unaware of what needs to be fixed in his skating!

campbellka

Rinkside
In terms of jumping from the junior level to the senior level, didn't G&G win Junior Worlds one year and then Senior Worlds the next? That was incredible.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
At the same time, other sports have really risen in profile and possibilities, especially for young girls. Back in the heyday of U.S. Ladies skating, skating was really the only sport available to a young talented girl to make any career out of. Basketball, soccer, softball, *maybe* tennis, but we're talking pre-Title IX when the chance of a girl getting an athletic scholarship to go to college were basically nil. Now, there's a whole world of possibilities out there, and we're really starting to see the generation of girls raised under Title IX come of age, where skating isn't really the only athletic avenue available.

Just watched the women’s hockey World Championships final between USA and Canada. Enjoyed it a lot, though a strange match. Great speed and fierce fighting, USA won 7-5 :clap:

Informations from the commentators: In USA 520 000 women play hockey. As a college player you have superb conditions with everything from unlimited ice time, high tech gym equipments, top coaches, mental coaches, physiologic and medical help etc. Big competition between the hockey students which make them fight for a spot each day, along with studying hard.

After college I’m not sure what their carreer possibilitys are(other than the national team), but I’ve heard a North American league may be started. I don’t know if women’s hockey is more popular to watch than figure skating in US, but I can easily relate to girls choosing hockey as their sport.

What is Title IX?

I agree with those who said that the US skaters would benefit from competing more, against each other, and internationally.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
What is Title IX?

Title IX is in reference to the U.S> law that prohibited discrimination by federally-funded education programs by gender.

However, the original statue never included a provision for women who played in college or high school sports. There were a number of court cases, including Supreme Court cases that basically added that provision. Basically many cite Title IX for the growth in opportunities for women in high school and collegiate sports programs.