Women and the Quad | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Women and the Quad

natsulian

Final Flight
... If Alysa's Free layout consists of 3A, 3A-3T, 4Lz, and 4T... hide your wives, husbands, children, cousins, friends, belongings, wigs, and yourself.

Short
- 3Lz3-3T, 2A, 3Lo

Long
- 3A-3T, 3Lz-3T, 3F-Eu-3S, 4Lz, 4T, 3A, 3Lo

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I'm already bored to death by the cheated quads. Women have been able to do them for decades. They weren't included in programs (or in Surya's case weren't given high credit) for a reason. Jumping smaller and cheating the entrance makes it even worse. At least when people tried to do quads in the past, it inherently meant you were going to see a BIG jump. Better to jump big and cheat a landing (if we are talking about attempting cheated quads), than to not get far enough off the ice in the first place.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love Sasha’s quads and think they are completely worth what they are being scored over 99% of the triples we see from others. Her PreRotation in my eyes is fine and should be the standard we move towards (on quads). Yes...I believe the amount of prerotation allowed on a quad should be a different standard than a triple as should a triple to a double :drama:

I may prefer a few other skater’s techniques a bit better but not anything I’d want to see noticable reflected in the scoring. Actually Sasha’s jumps are really good IMO.

I do agree that jumps in general get scored a bit higher GOE than they used to in the past and we could go for a few more +1 and +2’s but I have very little Grumble about. That’s not an issue with quads though. I love the trends we’re seeing and would rather see skaters running up the score with TES as opposed to judges jacking up scores with PCS :yawn:

Junior events were actually fun to watch this year for me and a lot of that was from the quadsters :dance:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Yes...I believe the amount of prerotation allowed on a quad should be a different standard than a triple as should a triple to a double

What kind of backwards logic. Why should there be any additional leeway allowed? A quad is supposed to be an extremely hard jump for a reason. It gets many more points for a reason. An underrotated quad is also still worth more points than a Triple. Let's call it as it is.

It's already sad enough that so many of these girls are ignoring basic technique. They can't do a great Triple jump, or Double Axel, to save their lives. They've just learned the trick of pivoting on their toepick, whipping their bodies off the ice, and squeezing tight.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What kind of backwards logic. Why should there be any additional leeway allowed? A quad is supposed to be an extremely hard jump for a reason. It gets many more points for a reason. An underrotated quad is also still worth more points than a Triple. Let's call it as it is.

It's already sad enough that so many of these girls are ignoring basic technique. They can't do a great Triple jump, or Double Axel, to save their lives. They've just learned the trick of pivoting on their toepick, whipping their bodies off the ice, and squeezing tight.
I think I’m more leanient than you with BV. To me what I see Sasha doing on most of her quad jumps is worth full BV. Where we might agree is that I wouldn’t scoff at a judge for giving her a O GOE or even slightly negative if they feel the Prerotation is detracting from the quality. I don’t think enough judges and fans appreciate the value of a ZERO GOE quad so they feel compelled to add GOE. Personally I’d have scored her quads all over the place. Some O’s and some pretty high marks too :biggrin: The judges seem to struggle with awarding the same skater’s jumps a variety of scores but really and again...this isn’t an issue with quads but rather judging in general.

I’m starting to appreciate this new +-5 GOE scale but I agree it isn’t being utilized as well as it could if a +0 GOE were more appreciated as being a quality effort. I’d say this is where most jumps we see should be scored from nearly every skater. A +5 would be rare on my score card and non existent as it pertains to quads we’ve seen so far.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
All of talks about "bad tech and small jumps and small quads"... It's really .. kinda ... funny. :biggrin:
When it has nothing to do with reality..... In reality Sasha's 4T3T has better height and distance and flow than 90% of current senior men field.

sk8ingedge

Rinkside
In the new Netflix series "Losers," there is an episode discussing Surya Bonaly. There is a clip of her falling on a 4S that looks pretty clean to me. Also, Tara Lipinski mentioned that she used to try quads in practice.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Alysa’s 4Lz looks pretty good so far.

I would think that Brian Boitano and Rudy Galindo would be able to tell the difference between a quad and a triple.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
All of talks about "bad tech and small jumps and small quads"... It's really .. kinda ... funny. :biggrin:
When it has nothing to do with reality..... In reality Sasha's 4T3T has better height and distance and flow than 90% of current senior men field.

Sasha is definitely not included in the list of small jumpers. That little girl is a stick of dynamite. She's so tiny but her jumps are powerful and explosive. She gets incredible height and spring in her quads. Due to how big those jumps are her triples and combos look effortless a lot of the time. The summer is going to be a big test for Eteri's latest wave of skaters. Most skaters their age will grow quite a bit over the next few months so we'll have to wait and see (1) how much taller/bigger they get and (2) if it wreaks any havoc on their jumps.

One thing is certain IMO: the level of women's skating is being pushed by the younger generation and will continue to be pushed. I don't see that stopping at this point. It's going to be difficult for the skaters who don't have quads or 3As in their arsenal and have no hope of gaining one at this point. They'll have to rely on a combination of stronger overall skating (which we know doesn't really count for much nowadays), reputation and luck to beat out girls with multiple quads/3As.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Tursynbaeva just landed a 3A on Gleikhengauz's insta story (i don't know how to share).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

That's incredible. She isn't someone I would have pegged to be able to do a 3A (then again she did the first senior 4S!). If she brings that next season, she could challenge for World gold.

- - - Updated - - -

That's incredible. She isn't someone I would have pegged to be able to do a 3A (then again she did the first senior 4S!). If she brings that next season, she could challenge for World gold.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I'm already bored to death by the cheated quads. Women have been able to do them for decades. They weren't included in programs (or in Surya's case weren't given high credit) for a reason. Jumping smaller and cheating the entrance makes it even worse. At least when people tried to do quads in the past, it inherently meant you were going to see a BIG jump. Better to jump big and cheat a landing (if we are talking about attempting cheated quads), than to not get far enough off the ice in the first place.

I say if Shoma Uno is allowed to do them and get decent GOEs, let's not discriminate against female skaters :biggrin: :slink:

sx98423

On the Ice

im confused about who of the 3 female skaters who have landed quads this season didn't jump big?

lilbet's quad looked the smallest and even that was a good 8-10 cm higher than the triples we've seen this season

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker

I have to admit it: I said at one point in time that I never saw Elizabet moving beyond a solid 5th-7th place finisher. About a year and a half later she's landed a quad and is silver world medalist. It just goes to show that you can't count people out. I never would have thought she was capable of doing a 3A either but, there it is. If she adds that to her program next year she'll be one of the few who has both a 3A and a quad.

It makes sense that she's stepping her game up so much. She sees firsthand what's coming down the pipeline from Eteri's camp. She trains with all of the quads and insane combinations so she knows what will be needed to stay competitive once this new wave rolls in. By upping her game she's ensuring that she won't get left behind and, in some ways, may end up at the front after being in the back for so long.

Let's be honest, going back to Eteri was the best thing that ever happen to Lil Bet.