Worlds: Ladies FS | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Worlds: Ladies FS

Georgya

On the Ice
As did Canada, with both Elizabet's and Evgenia's careers,...we are equally proud of both.

Good for Canada, I didn't try to ignore that (especially since canadian teen sensation in tennis, Bianca Andreescu, comes from Romania).

I was trying to say that russians as fans are invested in many skaters that either were born in the country or were formed there. With the crowded pool in russian ladies they will be seeing quite a few skaters leaving to compete for other countries. I'm surprised no russian lady made it successfully to Israel so far.

Congrats to Elizabet and Kazahstan for the medal! She is on the road to became a legend for her contry!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have absolutely no problem with pride in one's ancestry or background. I can be proud of Keegan Messing's American background. But he does not skate for America, he skates for Canada. And when he wins, it's a win for Canada. And I have no problem with that and would actually be a little ashamed of myself to try to claim it as some sort of victory for the US. :shrug:

Perhaps you don't know that Keegan Messing skated for the US from 2004 until 2014---a major part of his career was representing the US before his move to Canada.

Keegan won silver at the 2009 US Junior Championship and represented the US at Junior Worlds 2010 and 2011, and placed 4th both times; he was the top US finisher both times.

He moved up to Senior in 2010, and placed 9th, 8th and 7th at the 2010, 2111 and 2012 US Championships. Then his placements dropped much lower in 2013 (16th) and 2014 (12th).

He switched to representing Canada after 2014, probably hoping to earn a place on the Senior Canadian World and Olympic teams, which he never quite managed to do in the US.
He skated at his first Canadian Nationals in 2015, placing 5th. He finally made the 2018 podium with a silver medal, and fulfilled his Worlds and Olympic dreams. This year is his second representing Canada at Worlds.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
If anyone told me a year ago that people would be fighting on this board over who could claim Tursynbaeva I would have laughed in their face. Reality is much better than fiction though :laugh2:

Elizabet is soooo good now. She finishes her rotation in the air so beautifully, especially on her lutz. She should be getting much higher PCS on those jumps than other skaters who just barely get their jumps around.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I am so glad I saved watching the Ladies FS until later on BBC iplayer instead of following the results at work (these time zones)!

With regards to top 6:
I think Alina's GOEs and PCS were high but undoubtedly the champion here and I'm happy for her to get back to the top of the podium!
Elizabet's PCS was high (I didn't connect to her performance) but for making history, she deserves that silver.
I wanted Evgenia to medal and I'm so pleased for her! Although I wish the margin was not so tight.
Rika - no, no, no! This was just not her competition. I couldn't help thinking earlier that Rika's SP situation reminded me of James/Cipres, who incidentally also ended up off the world podium despite having made big comebacks before. It should definitely motivate her for worlds next season though, if she is going ahead with bringing in quads next year then she'll be hard to beat.
I watched Kaori's Piano skate with a friend who had never seen figure skating before, and she said it was like watching a Hero floating on ice. Then we both gasped at the flip mistake! Happy to hear the audience clapping along towards the end. No doubt there will be podiums in her future if she continues to work hard (and on the future triple axel)!
Satoko's free skate was one of my favourites! Even without the underrotation in the SP and the loop stumble, it would have been difficult for her to medal. And where did her PCS go? Not impressed with the judges there.

Other mentions:
I am satisfied with the placements above, although I did wish for the United States to earn three spots.

Eunsoo gained a spot and Gabby saved a spot to both make two for South Korea and Canada!
Loena in 12th gets two GP assignments next season! :)
Thank you to the audience in Japan for your support and cheers!

Along with high technical difficulty (the PCS will follow?), it just has to be your day as well (if that makes sense).
Last year's gold medal score would not have been enough for 4th here! So no mistakes allowed.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can you prove that there are hordes of Russian fans who did that? Cause that's your implication. It's not a secret that the most hateful you are the louder you seem. I don't think russians here tried to belittle Kazahstan or Elizabet. They were saying it more tongue-in-cheek. It's not so nice how you all jumped on them like that.

I was agreeing with you, I thought, that it was cool that only a few Russian fans are disrespecting Zhenya; I truly don’t understand :scratch2:

If persons saying that LilBet won a medal for Russia were saying it “tongue in cheek”, I sure didn’t get that. :shrug: And I wish they would clarify, because to me, it appeared as though they were trying to undermine Kazakhstan’s achievement.

Persons are free to agree or disagree, of course .....

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Perhaps you don't know that Keegan Messing skated for the US from 2004 until 2014---a major part of his career was representing the US before his move to Canada.

Keegan won silver at the 2009 US Junior Championship and represented the US at Junior Worlds 2010 and 2011, and placed 4th both times; he was the top US finisher both times.

He moved up to Senior in 2010, and placed 9th, 8th and 7th at the 2010, 2111 and 2012 US Championships. Then his placements dropped much lower in 2013 (16th) and 2014 (12th).

He switched to representing Canada after 2014, probably hoping to earn a place on the Senior Canadian World and Olympic teams, which he never quite managed to do in the US.
He skated at his first Canadian Nationals in 2015, placing 5th. He finally made the 2018 podium with a silver medal, and fulfilled his Worlds and Olympic dreams. This year is his second representing Canada at Worlds.

Yes, I do know that.

That’s why I thought it was such a good example:agree: he skates for Canada now. When he medals, O Canada.:clap:

Period. ETA: meaning, he medals for Canada, period, and no other country.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
And now for something completely different. Although I've seen Evgenia earlier this season, I didn't notice until today what a beautiful young lady (as in woman, not girl) she has become. Her costume really showed it off. Her skate, combined with this very adult look, really got to me. So fierce, her flow, and of course the story - as she's had a rough season - together with watching her execute a great performance made my day. Although I felt sorry for the Japanese ladies who always deliver (even without a triple flip), I was so thrilled with Evgenia's skate. I love it when skaters get so determined. She was my hero today.

badknees

Medalist
I agree. Thought I would have had the strength to quit after Ashley stopped. She was the last of the "old guard" group that I cared about. Started following skating back in 1976. But alas, I keep watching. I almost stopped after the super inflated pcs of Sotnikova at Sochi but I couldn't make that happen either!

rain

Record Breaker
Thrilled for Medvedeva making the podium. That should silence all the critics who said she shouldn't have been chosen for worlds. I always find the scoring for Zagitova ridiculous, especially in the components. Tursynbaeva has never done anything for me, and she still doesn't. Kihira gave it away in the short.

Oof for Gabby Daleman just missing out on the top 10.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
People keep saying that Gabby saved 2 spots for Canada next year. But don't you have to be in the top 10 for that? Gabby finished 11th.

Scott512

Record Breaker
PCS meting should be changed to Perfect Cheating System. It has almost no bearing on reality anymore. It’s used to boost skaters or hold them down. Alina is not almost ten points better then this field. I can’t take her hunched posture and frantic but somehow still slow movements that have no correlation to the music seriously as the best in the world. I can’t believe none of the Japanese ladies medal when they all are so strong and have such beautiful skating. I know I’ll never have the strength but sometimes I wish I could just quit women’s figure skating for good. It’s just a farce at this point.

Frantic and slow do not go together. Alina was way ahead in the field. I was disappointed she did not get to 240 points. But still happy with her well-deserved World Championship gold medal. Now she's won all the big events as a Junior and senior at 16 years old. Amazing.

The Japanese girls as good as they are are still a distant second to the Russian girls and they did not medal because they did not deserve to. They all had chances to and those chances slipped away. That's figure skating. Rika canme close to the bronze medal but was too far back to pass Evgenia who skated injured and with great heart and determination.

People keep saying that Gabby saved 2 spots for Canada next year. But don't you have to be in the top 10 for that? Gabby finished 11th.

If you have two or more skaters competing, the rule is that the two highest placements must add up to less than 28 in order to get two spots. But if you are lower than 16th, you get 16 placement points anyway.

By making the cut to skate the free program, Alaine Chartrand automatically got 16 points. So Gabby needed 11th to secure two spots for Canada next year. Which is just what she got. :rock:

(If you have only one skater competing, then, yes, that skater must get top ten to get two spots for the next year. I think that's how it goes.)

Last edited:

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada

top 10 if there's only one skater. Otherwise it's combination of top 2, in this case Gabby (11 place = 11 pts) + Alaine (23 spot =16 pts) which is 27 pts. Need 28 for 2 spots, so yes they did save the 2 spots

rain

Record Breaker
Thanks for the explanation. I thought Canada had just missed out on 2 spots. I'm sure Gabby still wishes she'd made top 10 though. Seeing who was in front of her, however, and the problems she's had this season, she has nothing to be ashamed of.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Thrilled for Medvedeva making the podium. That should silence all the critics who said she shouldn't have been chosen for worlds. I always find the scoring for Zagitova ridiculous, especially in the components. Tursynbaeva has never done anything for me, and she still doesn't. Kihira gave it away in the short.

Oof for Gabby Daleman just missing out on the top 10.

So who do you think should have won the ladies gold medal at the world championships? I think I know your answer. Alina!

Rika as good as she is was not a factor. Alina even after disappointments in Russian Nationals and Europeans ended up having the best season of all the ladies. That is not debatable. She has been the best in the world 2 years in a row. Alina is very lucky her great coach gave her a second chance 3 years ago. otherwise who knows where she would be.

nevermind, i dont understand the spots system. Too much maths and non-logic.

Oh no, it's very logical. ;) And very math-y.

If you only have one spot at worlds, but that skater scores in the top ten -- well, there is a possibility that you've got the number 11 skater in the world back home. So you deserve to get two spots for next year.

But if you have two skaters, and together they can't even manage 27 placement points, then you probably don't have a deep enough elite field to justify getting an extra spot over other countries.

:)

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
So who do you think should have won the ladies gold medal at the world championships? I think I know your answer. Alina!

Rika as good as she is was not a factor. Alina even after disappointments in Russian Nationals and Europeans ended up having the best season of all the ladies. That is not debatable. She has been the best in the world 2 years in a row. Alina is very lucky her great coach gave her a second chance 3 years ago. otherwise who knows where she would be.

You don't have to think she didn't deserve to win to question her scores, which I absolutely do. The horrible posture, frantic flailing, no move held long enough to be anything — I find her incredibly frustrating to watch, more than anything, because I do think she's likely capable of better.

And just FYI, she is not the best 2 years in a row (at least not at worlds). Last year's world champion was Kaetlyn Osmond;)