Your transition from singles to doubles / exercises off and on ice | Golden Skate

Your transition from singles to doubles / exercises off and on ice

Surge_et_age

Rinkside
Hello, ⛸⛸⛸

could you please share your transition from singles to doubles with time frame and your age… as I am not a youngster skater but I am really dedicated and would like to build up my program :)

i am 31, I have a coach, skate 10 h a week and 2 h off ice a week. I got all my singles (not axel) on ice + back spin.
Off-ice i don’t have stable but I do: 1A, 2Sal, 2Toe, very rarely 2F
I don’t have control so much over them and my trainer does not let me try them on ice because he says I will hurt myself. We don’t have a harness :/ so it’s just it
We try to do axel on ice but only with 2 feets and I just don’t get enough rotation to land it- I think it’s harder .. but anyway.
wheb I ask my trainer about doubles he says - well we don’t get them off ice yet.. so.. and then we kind of stop the discussion. :)

I want to build my body up by doing prep exercises for doubles that why I want to know how did you do it in your path. This forum is so great - I did also some research online but I really want to know your guys input ⛸
Thank you so much

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
wheb I ask my trainer about doubles he says - well we don’t get them off ice yet.. so.. and then we kind of stop the discussion. :)
I landed my first double axel when I could only do 1.5 off ice. The technique of your off ice matters a lot more than the amount of rotation you get because the physics changes so much when you have some speed and ice.

The fact that you have to ask an internet forum all these questions because your coach isn't telling you the answers tells me you need a new coach.

Anyway I landed my first axel at 12 and my first double jump at 14 and the rest of my double jumps at 15 and dabbled with triples, got injured and when I was ready to get back on the ice, COVID happened. Took me a long time to get those doubles back.

Surge_et_age

Rinkside
I landed my first double axel when I could only do 1.5 off ice. The technique of your off ice matters a lot more than the amount of rotation you get because the physics changes so much when you have some speed and ice.

The fact that you have to ask an internet forum all these questions because your coach isn't telling you the answers tells me you need a new coach.

Anyway I landed my first axel at 12 and my first double jump at 14 and the rest of my double jumps at 15 and dabbled with triples, got injured and when I was ready to get back on the ice, COVID happened. Took me a long time to get those doubles back.
Thank you for your answer. That’s a nice path and Covid yeah.. got us all some way or another..
Well my coach is the only one who knows jumps in our ice rink - others mostly do dances. We don’t have much choice somehow.
Do you remember exercises you did to land the first double? Or if you are young they just kind of tell you “do it” and you do it? :)

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thank you for your answer. That’s a nice path and Covid yeah.. got us all some way or another..
Well my coach is the only one who knows jumps in our ice rink - others mostly do dances. We don’t have much choice somehow.
Do you remember exercises you did to land the first double? Or if you are young they just kind of tell you “do it” and you do it? :)
My first doubles were pure luck with crap technique and an extra spice of motivation because my abusive coach had lots of stuff to say every time I failed at something. Don't recommend that path.

Once I did them properly, the best exercises I ever did were ones that trained muscle memory to fix my shortcomings. They change based on the jumps. The one that helped me most for all jumps were making the check out of backspins kind of whip around and not lazy. It changed my landings for the better and got rid of any under and over rotation I had. I would also go through the arm motions of the takeoff 10000000 times before each jump.