Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021 | Page 119 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021

Wynter

On the Ice
I am relieved. I've been so worried they'll still going with the competition especially those silly ideas to popularize FS (red carpet, fan fest) amidst the outbreak.

Danibellerika

Medalist
I am relieved. I've been so worried they'll still going with the competition especially those silly ideas to popularize FS (red carpet, fan fest) amidst the outbreak.

Had someone gotten sick and they traced it back to the championships, it would not have been the attention they would have wanted.

yude

Record Breaker
Yuzuru gave his comment through JSF.

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2020/03/12/kiji/20200312s00079000264000c.html

"It is unfortunate that WC was cancelled, but at the same time, I am relieved that the risk of spreading the infection has been reduced as much as possible not only to the skaters but also to the people who come and watch, management staff of the competition. I would like to thank ISU which had committed to giving the chance to compete to the skaters until the last minute in such a situation. In response to this cancellation, I feel I had opportunity once again to think about new corona virus and its infection. Because of this response, I think I have to live with care even more. To people who had supported me until the end of this season, thank you very much. I will practice toward the next season to go beyond my current limits."

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yuzuru gave his comment through JSF.

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2020/03/12/kiji/20200312s00079000264000c.html

"It is unfortunate that WC was cancelled, but at the same time, I am relieved that the risk of spreading the infection has been reduced as much as possible not only to the skaters but also to the people who come and watch, management staff of the competition. I would like to thank ISU which had committed to giving the chance to compete to the skaters until the last minute in such a situation. In response to this cancellation, I feel I had opportunity once again to think about new corona virus and its infection. Because of this response, I think I have to live with care even more. To people who had supported me until the end of this season, thank you very much. I will practice toward the next season to go beyond my current limits."

A masterpiece of tact :)

Oh, and a picture from WTF skating doodles...
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9n_F4qptbg/?utm_source=ig_embed

I wanted to cheerfully talk about next season but now I am overhearing my husband talking to his family on the phone and his tone and the words he is using indicate that he is hearing about some member of his family getting infected. Stay healthy everyone; so happy that the worlds is cancelled.

Nachi

On the Ice
You and your husband stay healthy as well! I called my dad a few minutes ago and it seems that neighbours think they themselves might be sick. They let themselves get checked and now have to stay at home. My parents are 60+ so I am afraid they catch it as well. I told them to wash their hands properly and just cover their face when coughing or sneezing. I wish for everybody's family to go through this safely and if you catch the virus, please don't panic. At least where I come from there are more people who healed than people who died from it. Stay safe everyone!

You and your husband stay healthy as well! I called my dad a few minutes ago and it seems that neighbours think they themselves might be sick. They let themselves get checked and now have to stay at home. My parents are 60+ so I am afraid they catch it as well. I told them to wash their hands properly and just cover their face when coughing or sneezing. I wish for everybody's family to go through this safely and if you catch the virus, please don't panic. At least where I come from there are more people who healed than people who died from it. Stay safe everyone!

Thanks Nachi, it seems that my oldest brother-in-law in infected and is in quarantine in hospital, my sister-in-law says doctors told them that his lung in badly infected. We are living in the US, far from our families, but it makes the worry twice bigger :(

Ulrica

On the Ice
-Also, a silver lining that Yuzu has indicated he will compete next season?

Yes! I was kind of worried he would retire after this season, now is looking more likely like he will go to Beijing, and I was almost completely certain he wouldn't.

Nachi

On the Ice
Thanks Nachi, it seems that my oldest brother-in-law in infected and is in quarantine in hospital, my sister-in-law says doctors told them that his lung in badly infected. We are living in the US, far from our families, but it makes the worry twice bigger :(

That's really unfortunate. To reach my parents I takes me just about an hour to reach them. Still, if the country get shut down like Italy I will be very lonely. I just hope it won't come to this. I wish your brother-in-law a speedy recovery!

mchchiu

Rinkside
Definitely the silver lining is Yuzu likely will continue competing! I was so torn about the cancellation, I thought it was my only chance to see Yuzu live, and I was convinced he was going to retire, but also it was such a huge risk to everyone, just as he said, so ultimately I was more relieved...

Hope everyone stays safe and healthy, and we will be graced with more Yuzu in the months to come!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yeeesssss, fed accountants all over the world would have brightened up at the news he intends to compete next year...

Now we can start making musical wishlists that will be of course nothing like what he decides on :laugh: And of course, we will as always be the last fans to know...

yude

Record Breaker
Haha I thought Yude was not referring to ISU's reputation (nothing could save that!) but saved by Hanyu not retiring so he will continue to bring audience attendance next season that can make up for the lost profits at Worlds.

I kind of meant both :biggrin: I do think the reputation of I$U is at the lowest level right now and I will not forget what they tried to do (and I can't believe how bad they treated the ticket holders :rolleye:), but I think Yuzuru knows how we've felt and tried to send a small message like "please calm down" by saying "I would like to thank ISU...". Actually, Japanese twitter has become a little quiet after given his comment (which doesn't mean the fans forgave ISU though), he is just very Japanese IMO.