Yuzuru Hanyu announces retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The worst crime of all, if it can be called that, is that skating fans never got the epic showdown we so richly wanted - a competition where both Hanyu and Chen were fit, healthy, and in top form. It always seemed that either one or the other was injured or out of form.

treeloving

Medalist
While I wouldn't call myself a Hanyu fan right now. He was the guy who make me realize the meaning of the word "stan" hahaha. I still remember how much I worry about him during 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and being so relieve to see him on ice again. He has come so far from that point. Beyond imagination. There might be other beautiful or excellent skaters in the future but I don't think there would be anyone that make me as emotionally involved. Till the day I have never encountered any skate that give me the same feeling like when I was watching his RJ at world 2012.

Although we are a complete stranger; it is so great to watch him grow.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Congrats to Hanyu on a stellar, legendary career! He really pushed the envelope technically and artistically, and was one of the few skaters able to balance strong jump content, great technique, with elegant, confident performance quality all together. Seimei (the original one) is still one of my favourite, if not my favourite, freeskates ever, and when he was on he was absolutely breathtaking to watch... that counter 3A floors me every time. I hope he continues to be happy in the rest of his life and skating journey.

Contrary to what others might think, I'm not actually pleased by his retirement. While the more (to put it nicely) 'fervent' portion of his fanbase may have detracted from many people's enjoyment of him (including my own).... his legacy ultimately transcends them — and I choose to define and remember him by what he brought to the ice itself which was, in a word, inspiring... and I'm genuinely sad to see that go. I do wish those people well and hope they are able to move on with their lives, and perhaps even still appreciate the sport of skating and the rest of the talent within it.

The worst crime of all, if it can be called that, is that skating fans never got the epic showdown we so richly wanted - a competition where both Hanyu and Chen were fit, healthy, and in top form. It always seemed that either one or the other was injured or out of form.

True we never got both of them at their peak - both tech content and performing cleanly, both programs - but considering how difficult their programs/jump content were, it was asking for a miracle. Very few skaters skate their hardest programs cleanly in their careers let alone in the same competition. I think the closest was at 2019 Worlds — especially in the free skate where Hanyu and Chen each had their 2nd best freeskates ever up until that point. Yes, Hanyu had one major error in the short program, but the freeskate was pretty much the two of them as clean almost as they could be at that time. I think the remarkable thing was the back to back nature of that FS where Hanyu absolutely slayed (including that incredible 4T+3A) - on home ice - and then Chen was able to somehow respond. It was a moment.

tzazu

Medalist
Thank you for all the great competitions all these years, I''m glad I was able to see him compete live so many times. First time, it was the 2012 WC. I watched because of Daisuke and I thought "Wow!!!" with his "Romeo and Juliet" program. One of the best skater ever, he'll be missed. Best of luck to him in retirement đź’—

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It appears his new path as a professional athlete is off to a good start: the livestream today was hugely successful, as is his channel: in just three days, half a million subscribers, over 4 million views (800,000 and rising on the live stream today despite the bad time for the West and the Chinese fans not being able to get youtube... yet) and over 114,000 supportive comments from more than 50 countries.

For all the carping about 'Hanyu fans' - and the numbers make it clear there are way more than the derided fringe here - it appears that Yuzuru may be able to carve out a path that other big names might follow. Because there is an audience.

Maybe.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yes...and was driven off Twitter by his own crazy fanbase because he happened to make a typo and a bunch of them went into harassing/mass reporting mode until his account was suspended.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
{sigh} You really have a bee in your bonnet about searching out and feverishly obsessing over his fans moves, don't you? Why? Now he's out of competition, you don't need to.

Yes, it appears that a small number of idiots on the Twitter idiocracy did that (people also saw off several fake fakes, by the way). And they have been roundly mocked/told off by the fandom at large, who instead did the right thing and turned up in massive numbers to the live stream and to support the channel. Yuzuru was clearly and unabashedly happy to 'see' them all and share his practice (which was a gift to his fans, by the way, and quite a costly one). He's okay, they're okay, and it's all made a huge number of people across the world equally happy.

After all, isn't it a good thing that figure skating - which as it's not competition, you don't have to see unless you go searching for it - is making so many people so happy?

I repeat, this is a path that other big names might follow. Because there is an audience.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It appears his new path as a professional athlete is off to a good start: the livestream today was hugely successful, as is his channel: in just three days, half a million subscribers, over 4 million views (800,000 and rising on the live stream today despite the bad time for the West and the Chinese fans not being able to get youtube... yet) and over 114,000 supportive comments from more than 50 countries.

For all the carping about 'Hanyu fans' - and the numbers make it clear there are way more than the derided fringe here - it appears that Yuzuru may be able to carve out a path that other big names might follow. Because there is an audience.

Maybe.

That’s great all the support he’s continually getting in his retirement. That practice was cool to watch (I just watched the Seimei run throughs and skipped the warmup and parts where he just stood there - was impressive that he could still do a clean 4-quad runthrough). A lovely gift to his fans.

I wonder what you mean about other big names following that path. Because unless they share his name/looks and figure/accolades they won’t ever get that type of fan fever. Even if a skater merited it, lots of those people would rather delete their accounts before they ever showed another skater(s) similar devotion or admitted to liking them the way they like Hanyu. I mean, even within the fandom people get cancelled if they show too much support/praise for someone else, or are overly critical of Hanyu/deviate from the general consensus.

A lot of that “audience” was and is there solely for him and aren’t really interested in many of the other skaters even with the multiple talents and disciplines the skating world has to offer. Don't get me wrong -- that is totally their prerogative -- but it's a bit naive to think this “audience” comprises skating fans who would willingly amplify the sport/big names, rather than simply continue to be mainly Hanyu fans. I mean, you just have to see the number of people who are like “now he’s retired I have no reason to show up to events or show interest in this sport, I hope the ISU goes broke now that he's retired, etc. etc. etc.” -- literally people hoping that figure skating falls apart now that their fave has retired. That being said, we all know of course there are several Hanyu fans who DO support and enjoy the rest of skaters/world of skating - shockingly, it is possible to appreciate multiple skaters!

The numbers are great to see but of course there’s the typical chest beating too. People are crowing that he has more subscribers than the ISU YouTube channel - as if the ISU could care less. Like, ummm congrats?! Quick - somebody call up Guinness and demand that they award him a world record for most subscribers on YouTube for a figure skater! I mean, hey, whatever makes folks process/feel better about his retirement.

And too bad (but hardly surprised) about the Twitter account.

Last edited:

Tahuu

On the Ice
Man that channel and accompanying interviews are full of I, I, I, me, me, me, my, my, my. Please support me, please look forward to my next posting. I’ll show you I am better than before.

What? You couldn’t win on competition ice and now you want to prove you are better on practice ice without the stress of competition and the scrutiny of the judges and technical panel? Lol, such a craving for adulation!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Man that channel and accompanying interviews are full of I, I, I, me, me, me, my, my, my. Please support me, please look forward to my next posting. I’ll show you I am better than before.

What? You couldn’t win on competition ice and now you want to prove you are better on practice ice without the stress of competition and the scrutiny of the judges and technical panel? Lol, such a craving for adulation!

Golden rule: don't like, don't watch.
You're clearly not familiar with Japanese language, otherwise you'd know that phrases like 'please support me' are fixed polite phrases in Japanese, and don't have all that much in common with their literal meaning, just like 'how are you' is not a literal question when retail staff ask you. I wonder if you're aware that all Japanese skaters use these phrases, or if you're just ignoring the others and cherrypicking to get ammo for your anti-Yuzuru mission.
I haven't seen anyone else's channel, but I wonder if they talk about other skaters a lot. Maybe the other skaters also talk mostly about themselves on their own channels, especially if they don't belong to any major training center where they have training buddies.
And nothing wrong with being driven and wanting to improve. Some quit skating after retirement, others keep honing their skills, and it's silly for outsiders to diss either.
'Couldn't win a competition' is probably just bait and I shouldn't engage, but utter falsehood like that completely undermines any point you're trying to make.

Well, since this thread seems to be quickly spiraling down into a fan war between those who praise Yuzuru and those who diss him (alongside with his fandom), maybe this thread is overdue for closing? The guy has been retired for a few weeks now.

Magill

Record Breaker

His channel is focused on him just like any athlete's or celebrity's channel of this type is focused on its owner. The main difference is that his is strictly professional, we see him training and - hopefully in the future - performing, but we do net get stories of him eating, shopping, vacationing, attending theatres, partying etc. Not that there would be anything wrong with that or that there is anything wrong with those who do that in their social media. This is just to show that, yes, it is not more but much less self-obsessed than most of those you see around, even belonging to complete non-celebrities.
HIs interviews are focused on him and his career just like most interviews with athletes are. This is what they are asked about by interviewers and this is what the audience is interested to hear. Not some kind of theory of the universe, they're not expert on it.
If you watched the practice video, he actually wanted to show he is "better" than he himself had been when performing Seimei to win OGM. A competition he actually did win.
As for proving anything, he has nothing to prove to anyone anymore. Like it or not, he is probably the most accomplished skater in the history of this sport (or one of the very few most accomplished ones). It does not mean he needs to be the fave of everyone or everyone needs to like him (although I do think that if you are a true fan of the sport you probably appreciate his sheer talent, even if he's not your personal cup of tea). And, accordingly, for this and a few other reasons, he has the biggest following, no doubt about it, like it or not.
And, no, I do not believe his current "path" will be followed by other big names. Just because their following is not big enough.
This is no chest beating as this has no personal importance or relevance to me. This is just stating facts. His popularity in terms of both numbers and intensity is of the volume unknown in this sport. So what? Why not just accept it for a fact and move on?
Why do you need to attack and belittle him so much? Because you have different faves? But then why not go praise them in other threads instead of spreading negativity and toxicity here?

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I agree that the thread needs closing, except to say...

Fandom, especially these days and in sport as in everything else, is not a zero-sum game (except maybe in the Chinese market and even here we are talking millions, many millions before it comes to that). Yuzuru always was lightning in a bottle, but surely isn't the only decorated skater who has what it takes to appeal to a wider range of people worldwide. Do I think they'll do at least partly as well as he might? We don't even know what that will be, so it's anyone's guess.

And look. This year the GPF is looking to fill at least a respectable number of rinkside seats, get livestream numbers and please sponsors without the Russian women, most - if not all? I'm not sure - of the OGMs and their biggest superstar. Anything - and I do mean anything - that gets people interested and talking and happy and skaters thinking there may be a possible future has to be good.

Bowing out again...

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Regarding the content of his channel : Yuzuru wasn't on social media before. I think his fans should give him some slack... He needs to get a hang ot it. He may like it, get good at it, etc. He may not enjoy it that much, and not post that often or get disinterested gradually. I don't know many figure skaters who do it well and are interesting enough for me to watch, but that's just me... I do watch Roman's from time to time.. but he's the only one I have watched more than once, and he is not my favourite skater at all : I just enjoy his videos. (his youtube) I do believe Yuzuru is targeting a specific niche of fans... a bit like Genie Bouchard became bigger than her tennis... because of publicity, endorsements, being a public figure, going to red carpet events, etc... I could see Yuzuru's fans asking much more than Seimei 4.0 videos and more of the public persona content. Is Yuzuru interested in giving this to his fans? It seems like Yuzuru would have loved being a "pro skater" in the 1990s.. but these events no longer exist.... so I am not sure what is out there for him, and if what he wants to create is of interest beyond his fan base... Does he need to reach beyond his hardcore fan base? Probably not. Time will tell.

Last edited:

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I agree that the thread needs closing, except to say...

Fandom, especially these days and in sport as in everything else, is not a zero-sum game (except maybe in the Chinese market and even here we are talking millions, many millions before it comes to that). Yuzuru always was lightning in a bottle, but surely isn't the only decorated skater who has what it takes to appeal to a wider range of people worldwide. Do I think they'll do at least partly as well as he might? We don't even know what that will be, so it's anyone's guess.
I think it'll be difficult to ever build a figure skating fanbase as dedicated as Hanyu, however maybe skaters who become celebrity personalities who were skaters (e.g. Adam Rippon, Torville and Dean) will be able to do well from getting engagement from those who are less acquainted with figure skating as a sport. That's the only thing I can see that will allow somebody to succeed in the way that Hanyu has, as purely in terms of figure skater appeal nobody can match him (except maybe Yuna Kim, but even then that's a big maybe). Other than that, in terms of domestic appeal somebody like Plushenko might appeal to Russian fanbases and gain youtube popularity that way.

Anyways good luck to Hanyu, it'll be interesting to watch his performances and enjoy them. Even if he couldn't deliver in competition, that's not why people are watching on YouTube - they enjoy his skating, not just competitive performances. And that's certainly why I enjoy his YouTube performances. No need for people to be rude about it.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Anyways good luck to Hanyu, it'll be interesting to watch his performances and enjoy them. Even if he couldn't deliver in some competitions, that's not why people are watching on YouTube - they enjoy his skating, not just competitive performances. And that's certainly why I enjoy his YouTube performances. No need for people to be rude about it.

There, fixed it for you. Reasonable post otherwise, but why some keep harping on Yuzuru's few competitive fails (i.e. several medals other than gold, and one off-podium in the span of 2 Olympic cycles), I'll never get. Unless you're considering WD due to injury a 'fail'. That's a very weird definition of 'not delivering' if you ask me. Maybe it's one which is only applied to Hanyu.

Status
Not open for further replies.