2015 Europeans Ladies Free Skate, Jan. 31 | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2015 Europeans Ladies Free Skate, Jan. 31

bekalc

Record Breaker
They do--it's called Russian Nationals. And the idea is bit short-sighted. What if Russia has another drought in ladies skating like it did for the first 65 years of the European championships?

Right and non Russia Carolina Kostner managed to compete just fine against the Russian ladies. I bet European officials LIKE that there are some European girls who can compete for World and Olympic medals.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Indeed. However, I think if she wants to grab more points, she should put that second 3Lz in the second half and put one of the 2As in front. Insofar as her rivalry with Liza is concerned, I don't think she will ever get higher GOEs on jumps than Liza if they both perform their best, so Lena should backload her program a bit more to compensate for that.

Also if she was crazy, she could put the 3Z-3T in the second half too. But even the modest point gain in putting more triples in the second half, would be beneficial. After all she only lost by .86 points.

Last edited:

Lipea

Final Flight
They do--it's called Russian Nationals. And the idea is bit short-sighted. What if Russia has another drought in ladies skating like it did for the first 65 years of the European championships?

Unless there will be a war on their land, or famine, or country collapse, or something else, they won't have drought.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The first time I saw Radionova's program I didn't like it that much. Now as I have seen it several times I have grown to appreciate it and I can honestly say that this has to be the hardest LP I can remember of any lady not named Mao Asada.

It's impressive in its difficulty but I don't think the music suits her.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

USSR =/= Russia

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well to play devil's advocate -- some of Russia is in Asia. :D You could make a case that they should send three girls to 4CC too, ha!

Lipea

Final Flight
Right and non Russia Carolina Kostner managed to compete just fine against the Russian ladies. I bet European officials LIKE that there are some European girls who can compete for World and Olympic medals.

Yeah, but looking at the Europeans now and their junior competitions, it is very unlikely they will have another Kostner for the next 4 years at the least. Maybe only Ukrainians - there are a couple. More likely is that someone of Russian girls would change they citizenship not being able to have a spot in National team.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Amazing skating by the top 2 and congrats to the top 3!

Liza T's has got to be one of the greatest comeback stories ever! To think people were suggesting she retire last year, and here she is the Grand Prix Finals champion and now the European champion. Amazing perseverance and determination. So proud of her!

Elena continues to be a rock. That clean FS marks her sixth--yes, SIXTH--clean FS in a row. She did everything she could possibly do and I'm so proud of her as well.

People talk about Ashley and Gracie as a friendly rivalry....pfft! Puh-lease! Liza and Lena are the best friendly rivalry in skating. They are tied 2-2 when they face off against each other. Liza won the Final and Euros, Elena won SA and nationals. They get the ultimate tiebreaker this season: worlds. They are so on each other's heels, it can really go either way. I can't wait.

Congrats to Anna too. I thought her SP was much stronger than in the past but she got a little nervous in the FS and had a few mistakes. Against the top two she couldn't afford the slightest mistake. I really don't care for her FS. The choreography isn't bad but I hate the music edits (too abrupt and jarring)...I just can't get into it. Still, it was good to see her put forth two strong skates.

Cute to see the Helgesson sisters battling each other. I do wonder if there are any other decent skaters in Sweden. Both of them had strong performances (by their standards) so congrats to them.

Decent placement for Mae and I'm sad Kiira had to withdraw. Hopefully she'll be okay. Is she still going to worlds?

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yeah, but looking at the Europeans now and their junior competitions, it is very unlikely they will have another Kostner for the next 4 years at the least. Maybe only Ukrainians - there are a couple. More likely is that someone of Russian girls would change they citizenship not being able to have a spot in National team.

It's just a timing thing though right now. I could see Angelica from Lativia becoming competitive in the years to come -- she was quite impressive today (she had the 4th highest TES, just got way low PCS). Ivett Toth from Hungry did really poorly here, i.e. didn't make the free skate, but I think she has potential to improve and get up the ranks.

Also yes the massive number of talented Russian ladies skews the probabilities, but who knows what the future holds?

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Also if she was crazy, she could put the 3Z-3T in the second half too. But even the modest point gain in putting more triples in the second half, would be beneficial. After all she only lost by .86 points.
Lena doesn't have the most steady flip edge, IIRC. She's gotten ! calls before, though she seems to have fixed the problem now... but I have no idea how it's gonna go if she does it in the second half.

I think the situation between Liza and Lena is clear: When both are perfect, Lena wins the SP and Liza the LP. It's the little details that separate them--Lena would've won with a well-done lutz and better 3Lo-2T (not the free, but overall). But in turn, Liza would've closed that gap with all Level 4 spins in the SP and 2A in the second half (again, she'd still lose the SP, but by a smaller margin). It's basically a tie at this point, and that makes it exciting. :)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

The Latvian girl, Angelina Kucvalsa, has a lot of potential imo.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Indeed. However, I think if she wants to grab more points, she should put that second 3Lz in the second half and put one of the 2As in front. Insofar as her rivalry with Liza is concerned, I don't think she will ever get higher GOEs on jumps than Liza if they both perform their best, so Lena should backload her program a bit more to compensate for that.
In GPF, where Lena's jumps were cleaner, her TES are exactly the same as Liza's. So yes, she would definitely benefit from swapping the two 2A for the front half, and put the two solo triples (3F, 3Lz) later.

What's interesting is - her PCS is only 1.21 behind Liza at GPF, and 1.01 behind here. Such a small difference! Easily made up by backloading the jumps. Surely the coaching team had to have thought of that. Hence, the only thing left is... maybe in practice, her execution consistency drops when she backloads her program. *shrug*

Lipea

Final Flight
IMO Liza benefited so much from having Plushenko out. Mishin seems to work SO MUCH with her this season. Wish him long years of health!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes, but she is just one against the whole army. And still has ways to go to reach that army's level.

Well all she can do is her best and see where the chips fall. There's no point, from her her end, of dwelling on the army. Her focus is to be a good skater. You will never know when there is an opportunity for her to capitalize.

As Ann Landers said, "Opportunity is disguised as hard work."

pebbles

Spectator
Russian 1, 2 and 3. WOW outstanding and the only ones worth watching. Everyone else can leave and take their skates with them!!