Ban on Carolina Kostner Over | Page 39 | Golden Skate

Ban on Carolina Kostner Over

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
ban or no ban... i thought she would be done with competing? she's been around for so long and had her success... i thought "old age" would have caught up with her... now reading this thread, do you really all believe she will come back to competing? by the time she gets ready, it will be 2016-17? i think that she probably wants to do shows etc... but competing? seems a long stretch... just my opinion...

JayW

Final Flight
Wow, there are so many morality guandians here. As if some one never lied in his/her life!

Carolina is only human being, she lied to protect her loved one. The punishment is already more than severe.

Warwick360

Medalist
Hardly severe. I thought the general consensus was that she was going to retire after the olympics season. Seems like she she got off just fine.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wow, there are so many morality guandians here. As if some one never lied in his/her life!

Carolina is only human being, she lied to protect her loved one. The punishment is already more than severe.

Oh please. She bound herself to the rules laid down by the anti-doping authorities. She agreed to obey those rules. IIRC, she was even part of the anti-doping messages in Italy!

She not only lied when asked to - when common sense should have told her that it meant both of them were doing the wrong thing - she continually lied to authorities afterwards as well, and showed no understanding of why what she did was wrong.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Oh please. She bound herself to the rules laid down by the anti-doping authorities. She agreed to obey those rules. IIRC, she was even part of the anti-doping messages in Italy!

She not only lied when asked to - when common sense should have told her that it meant both of them were doing the wrong thing - she continually lied to authorities afterwards as well, and showed no understanding of why what she did was wrong.

Sorry JayW but for once I have to go with karne here. If indeed she lied, continued to lie, and showed no remorse, then her "only lying to protect a loved one" holds no water....that is what the families of dangerous criminals do....I wouldnt lie to protect my wife who is an athlete if she doped....I maybe would say nothing......but I wouldnt lie.... if I was forced into testifying or going to jail, I would expect my wife to come clean on her own to save me...if she didnt, I would sell her sorry *** down the river!
Sorry Caro...you are a great skater but if you did what karne said, shame on you. There is enough dirt in sports as it is...we dont need people with low character.
Chris who can heave the first stone as he has never lied to protect a loved one.....

Last edited by a moderator:

jiggs

On the Ice
Sorry JayW but for once I have to go with karne here. If indeed she lied, continued to lie, and showed no remorse, then her "only lying to protect a loved one" holds no water....that is what the families of dangerous criminals do....I wouldnt lie to protect my wife who is an athlete if she doped....I maybe would say nothing......but I wouldnt lie.... if I was forced into testifying or going to jail, I would expect my wife to come clean on her own to save me...if she didnt, I would sell her sorry a** down the river!
Sorry Caro...you are a great skater but if you did what karne said, shame on you. There is enough dirt in sports as it is...we dont need people with low character.
Chris who can heave the first stone as he has never lied to protect a loved one.....

Karne is obviously never going to give Carolina the benefit of the doubt. But I want to point out again: She didn't "continually" lie to autorities. She admitted from the beginning that she had seconds to decide what to tell the inspector, and that she made a wrong split decision in that moment. Everything else that followed that Karne calls "continually lying" were small discrepancies between hers and Schwazers versions of the story.

Here is a good articles that summarizes quite well what is going on: http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-comme...y-figure-skater-carolina-kostner-frozen-place

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

Yes, and if the guy would still be her loved one, she would not be in this situation, would she? I hope she will be more careful now....

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Karne is obviously never going to give Carolina the benefit of the doubt. But I want to point out again: She didn't "continually" lie to autorities. She admitted from the beginning that she had seconds to decide what to tell the inspector, and that she made a wrong split decision in that moment. Everything else that followed that Karne calls "continually lying" were small discrepancies between hers and Schwazers versions of the story.

Here is a good articles that summarizes quite well what is going on: http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-comme...y-figure-skater-carolina-kostner-frozen-place

No, she continually lied. Because if she really was sorry, really believed what she did was wrong, she should have admitted to the investigators straight up that she had lied in the split second of the moment. I am sure it would have gone a lot better for her if she had. Instead, she chose to continually lie, perpetuating the falsehood that he had not been there when they knew bloody well he had been.

moriel

Record Breaker
No, she continually lied. Because if she really was sorry, really believed what she did was wrong, she should have admitted to the investigators straight up that she had lied in the split second of the moment. I am sure it would have gone a lot better for her if she had. Instead, she chose to continually lie, perpetuating the falsehood that he had not been there when they knew bloody well he had been.

It is not easy to just go and admit it.
I don't know... It all looks kinda stupid now, and she gained nothing from it really - and I don't think it was that evil basically because she was gaining nothing with it.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Carolina Kostner press conference.
She talked about next Olympic Games!!!
http://www.neveitalia.it/sport/figu...-sogno-di-partecipare-alle-prossime-olimpiadi
Now that's something! I found this article (my italian is really really bad) and it says that she missed competing and that she's also thinking about Boston 2016. The question wether she would be allowed to start was already discussed in this thread and was negated, but obviously Carolina thinks that she would be allowed to start in Boston ...

deneb

On the Ice
You mean she was banned from training?
During the ban she cannot use ice rinks in Italy for training. I know, she usually train in Oberstdorf and being in Germany it's not a problem.
But, for example, in these days she is preparing OperaPop on Ice, and she cannot train alone but with other athletes and she had to ask CONI for permission to use the rink in Padova.
As of November she will be free.

Warwick360

Medalist
Carolina Kostner press conference.
She talked about next Olympic Games!!!
http://www.neveitalia.it/sport/figu...-sogno-di-partecipare-alle-prossime-olimpiadi

Wait, whaaaat? I guess it will be more in the breath of Katarina Witt's 1994 aspiration. :/

Speaking of which, what is the competitive level in Italy? If it's anywhere as fledgling but not fully out there as in South Korea or China, then I don't see why she can't compete in years to come. Judges seem to bombard her in Components even with mistakes as evidential from 2014 Worlds.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Wait, whaaaat? I guess it will be more in the breath of Katarina Witt's 1994 aspiration. :/

Speaking of which, what is the competitive level in Italy? If it's anywhere as fledgling but not fully out there as in South Korea or China, then I don't see why she can't compete in years to come. Judges seem to bombard her in Components even with mistakes as evidential from 2014 Worlds.

that was... embarrassing... especially since she was held up high after the SP... but times have changed.. it's no longer 6.0.... and ladies back then only had to perform 1 triple jump and be competitive as of course, they did the combo, the 2 axel and a double jump....

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
that was... embarrassing... especially since she was held up high after the SP... but times have changed.. it's no longer 6.0.... and ladies back then only had to perform 1 triple jump and be competitive as of course, they did the combo, the 2 axel and a double jump....
Embarrassing? Katarina Witt? :rolleye:
We all know that Carolina is capable of delivering mediocre performances, would this be embarassing in your opinion? Then she's already embarassed herself throughout her career and she shouldn't mind doing it again. But she's probably still got a couple of stellar performances in her and I can't wait to see them.
It's not always about winning.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Embarrassing? Katarina Witt? :rolleye:
We all know that Carolina is capable of delivering mediocre performances, would this be embarassing in your opinion? Then she's already embarassed herself throughout her career and she shouldn't mind doing it again. But she's probably still got a couple of stellar performances in her and I can't wait to see them.
It's not always about winning.

it was to me psusanne. I remembered how stellar she was before her retirement... even in 1988, she was being outskated technically... but still was able to hold on to gold by a system that was going to change drastically.... and when she came back in 1994, with barely only 2 triple jumps in her arsenal, it was to me, embarrassing on multiple levels... 1) she was not even the top ranked of her own country. 2) she was held up by the judges 3) even if we forgive her for lack of technical content, the performances themselves weren't fabulous.

That's what I mean

regarding Carolina, I have very little opinion... I was mostly responding the Katarina Witt comment. Carolina has had a rollercoaster of a career. If she wants to keep going at it, that's her choice.... but as i said earlier, doping ban or not, many thought she would retire after her brilliant OG performances.

and I agree that it's not always about winning... that's fine... and that's why there are shows and exhibitions... the WC and OG are competitions... sporting events....and thus one is allowed to expect competitive athletes to participate.

however i agree with tugboat about the Team event... and considering Italy's field right now... Carolina would be an asset...

PS I do not think Carolina was declining at the OG... she was peaking... she had never been that strong IMO... but it's been two years now... we already see how one year off is hard to come back from (ie Patrick) i cannot imagine 2 years... and with the strong teams from Russia, Japan and the USA.... i don't know

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

When we first heard that Carolina was taking a sabbatical, and that Valentina was switching to Pairs, it was looking very bleak. All the other Italian ladies were at a much lower level to them. And then the best of those other skaters, Francesca Rio, announced her retirement as well.

Of the other skaters, Roberta Rodegheiro was stagnating, and the most promising hope amongst the younger skaters, Micol Cristini, suddenly took a massive drop in form (probably due to her suddenly acquiring one of the biggest busts in figure skating!) The result was that relatively unknown skater Giada Russo moved up to Seniors and became a surprise Italian Champion.

I think this was a major wake-up call, because Roberta Rodegheiro has been on fire since then! You can actually see the difference in the quality of her skating. She has gone from being a mid-field skater who could only do well in lower-quality fields, to being a real challenger. In the past year, she has won 2 Challenger events, and finished 8th at last year's Europeans.

So, if Carolina comes back and is not at the top of her game, Roberta is going to be a major threat to her position as first choice for International competitions.

CaroLiza_fan

Ophelia

Record Breaker
If Kostner comes back, Imma go sacrifice a lamb to the skating gods so that Kim comes back as well.