2015 Rostelecom Cup Ladies SP | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2015 Rostelecom Cup Ladies SP

NicoleH

On the Ice
Evgenia is the smaller-case Patrick Chan to me. I could plainly see her good posture and good skating but her program didn't affect me. I'm definitely a performance-over-posture kind of audience. I don't much mind hunched backs, no pointing, noodle arms or frenetic movements as long as they sell it and make me enjoy. So, Radio over Evgenia for me. :) Though, yea, I agree the PCS were a too high.
Bad posture but emotional performance, that's Rika. But Radio has bad posture and no emotion. She cried at the end, but why not show some emotion during her program? Performance-wise, Evgenia is much better than Radio. Evgenia puts emotion into her program, while Radio is cold and boring. Radio has worst posture of the second group. She also has no emotion.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Ok, "which worse" poll then:laugh:

Canada's been guilty of overscoring just as the other home ice competitions, but Russia is the only one I can think of that actually gives out personal best PCS when Russian skaters don't skate their personal best and make major error(s) (Medvedeva in this SP, Lipnitskaia in 2013, etc.). And when the Russians do skate well, they get outrageously high marks (Sochi/Mordavian Ornament).

Last edited:

lyndichee

Medalist
Bad posture but emotional performance, that's Rika. But Radio has bad posture and no emotion. She cried at the end, but why not show some emotion during her program? Performance-wise, Evgenia is much better than Radio. Evgenia puts emotion into her program, while Radio is cold and boring. Radio has worst posture of the second group. She also has no emotion.

Wow you're not being very fair with your analysis. I get that you prefer Evgenia much more Elena, but Elena has a lot of emotion and passion in her performance. she was definitely emoting during her step sequence and the emotion was not non-existent as you claim it to be. I disagree with her PCS but to give such scathing and polarizing remarks is quite unfair.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Your personal performance is an irrelevant topic since we're talking mostly about skating skills. She didn't control herself on the ice with more fluidity given her kicking and and obvious faltering. :noshake: I can only give a credit to someone who deserves. Gracie is stiff on her upper body, not her legs and foot.
As I have said, watch them at their best and compare them at their best. Not compare a so so skate to a great skate. Who do you think has more speed? Do you want to compare Gracie at 4CC to Adelina at her best? No it's not fair isn't it. Everyone has their mistakes, look at Patrick and his best SS in the world and he still makes mistakes. My point is to compare them at their best. And at their best, I think Adelina is better than Gracie (in SS, spins, height on the jumps and flow). Now just about SS at her best I don't think Gracie is that fast and powerful as Adelina.

However, this season I will put my trust on Gracie more. For some reason, I have feelings she will do well.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
The only PCS I would change to be honest would be giving Elena around 31ish instead of 33, and giving Evgenia 30 instead of 31ish. Then, looking at the scores relative to one another, I would think it most fair. For example, elena was AMAZING but she received higher SS than Adelina, which is just false. :roll5:

I actually think cumulative PCS were accurate save for a few extra points for Evgenia and Elena. But it wasn't egregious.

Layback11

Record Breaker
...I choose to focus on the fact that this was a great-quality event and there were 6 ladies scored over 60 at this event-the best of the season so far! :cheer:

witcher

Match Penalty
One thing that irritates me is the very quite response from the audience only to Hongo.
The merry music tends to lead cheers, but they were as silent as death unlike the audience's at CoC. :frown:
I noticed that too, the reception was a bit cold. Leaving the ice, she turned around with intention of waving to the crowd, but realized the silence around her and gave only a small bow. I think she deserved better. :(

Btw., I read now many fans on Russian internet writing Rika should be placed above Adelina. :rolleye:

Last edited:

Noolan

On the Ice
elena was AMAZING but she received higher SS than Adelina, which is just false. :roll5:
Yeah, but you can't really compare their PCS directly when the technical scores are so different. We all know that PCS scales with the TES. It may not be right, but that's how it is.

gioccia

On the Ice
As per the programs we've seen today....
1) Elena R - is number 1... whoever writes anth to do with her sloppyness or posture is just blind and has nothing to do with the dance, music and what so ever....
2_ Alaine was really good, nowhere near in terms of Elena and Adelina performance, choreo and skating/dancing skills but overall good. Pretty much close to Evgenia... sophisticated. weird, but never a wow!!! This WOW is rarely to get though... as far as I remember it was T/M 2006, Yu-Na 2010, Mahler 2010, Shilndler's list 2014, Yuzu SP 2014... You RARELY GET THAT, RIGHT...
3) Adelina - mature. safe, not good enough, hopefully she'll come back (I doubt though)
4) Polina, Riko and so on - boring, ugly childish etc. NOT GRAND PRIX LEAGUE
5) Medvedeva - I am in two minds... I don't want her to be next meaningless Miahara... but I don't feel her the way I feel Radionova... I get goosebumps from her. I never understood her PCS lower than TUK's.... which I agree is just arm flailing...

What's for Gracie's SP - it's good... she's got a ridiculous LP though. If evrth goes well, she's going to win this Worlds, do I care... no... provided she's good. I LOVE her jumps when she's on. I hate underrotations from Japanese and Canadian skaters and from Ashley though.

Good luck to the girls in the FP.

kalee

On the Ice
I noticed that too, the reception was a bit cold. Leaving the ice, she turned around with intention of waving to the crowd, but realized the silence around her and gave only a small bow. I think she deserved better. :(

Btw., I read now many fans on Russian internet writing Rika should be placed above Adelina. :rolleye:

Such a pity for Rika. Don't the crowd realize that she is the defending champion after all! Fully agree that she deserves better especially after yet another clean performance

Last edited:

skatespin

On the Ice
As per the programs we've seen today....
1) Elena R - is number 1... whoever writes anth to do with her sloppyness or posture is just blind and has nothing to do with the dance, music and what so ever....
2_ Alaine was really good, nowhere near in terms of Elena and Adelina performance, choreo and skating/dancing skills but overall good. Pretty much close to Evgenia... sophisticated. weird, but never a wow!!! This WOW is rarely to get though... as far as I remember it was T/M 2006, Yu-Na 2010, Mahler 2010, Shilndler's list 2014, Yuzu SP 2014... You RARELY GET THAT, RIGHT...
3) Adelina - mature. safe, not good enough, hopefully she'll come back (I doubt though)
4) Polina, Riko and so on - boring, ugly childish etc. NOT GRAND PRIX LEAGUE
5) Medvedeva - I am in two minds... I don't want her to be next meaningless Miahara... but I don't feel her the way I feel Radionova... I get goosebumps from her. I never understood her PCS lower than TUK's.... which I agree is just arm flailing...

What's for Gracie's SP - it's good... she's got a ridiculous LP though. If evrth goes well, she's going to win this Worlds, do I care... no... provided she's good. I LOVE her jumps when she's on. I hate underrotations from Japanese and Canadian skaters and from Ashley though.

Good luck to the girls in the FP.
Gotta agree, I am a big fan of Elena R, but I think Polina and Rika are great skaters and completely deserve to be at the Grand Prix.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was the most boring skating music I've ever heard.
I tried to concentrate on her jumps, elements instead, but my eyes were closing against my will. For real. :slink:

I am extremely surprised that you would call this piece boring. It is one of the most famous pieces of music historically and associated with some of the most revered skates ever. Read on and check out the links and give the music another try.

Ludwig van Beethoven composed the famous Moonlight Sonata in 1801 and dedicated it to Countess Giulietta Guicciardi, a pupil of Beethoven. Shortly after their first few lessons, the two fell in love. After dedicating the Moonlight Sonata, it is believed that Beethoven proposed to her. Although she was willing to accept Beethoven’s proposal, she was forbidden by one of her parents to ever marry him, and sadly, they never did.

Memorable performances include the following:
Protopopovs http://youtu.be/9tY_2eE9hv8 and http://youtu.be/qky5kw67nX4
Charlie Tickner http://youtu.be/mackRVeCqhI from 2:52 (middle section)
and the great Gordeeva/Grinkov http://youtu.be/pY7HFPSmx8M from 2:04 (middle section)

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
As I have said, watch them at their best and compare them at their best. Not compare a so so skate to a great skate. Who do you think has more speed? Do you want to compare Gracie at 4CC to Adelina at her best? No it's not fair isn't it. Everyone has their mistakes, look at Patrick and his best SS in the world and he still makes mistakes. My point is to compare them at their best. And at their best, I think Adelina is better than Gracie (in SS, spins, height on the jumps and flow). Now just about SS at her best I don't think Gracie is that fast and powerful as Adelina.

However, this season I will put my trust on Gracie more. For some reason, I have feelings she will well.

Yeah, you think, which I disagree. We have to judge what they actually perform. When was the best form Sotnikova has shown us? Even in Sochi she didn't skate clean. We can agree that she has better skating skills than the current Russian ladies, but has never been the best skater in SS (thinking of Graice, Mao, and Caro in the current field). I'm not sure why you mentioned about the jump height. She couldn't rotate fast enough, so almost always tends to land on her two feet , underrotate, or fall. The huge height is not that much helpful for her, which is also really not related to our topic.

Last edited:

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Congratulations to top 6! Ladies events at Rostelecom Cup haven't been this exciting for many years! :luv17:

Elena brought tears to my eyes - and I believe many people's eyes. It was something special considering the things she and her coach have been through recently. I hope she keeps this form up all season long. Her programs are not the best but when she sells them with this much emotion, I believe that she can even win big championships like Nationals or Euros. I mean programs are not special but Elena is :love:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Where is the Rostelecom Cup Rink located in Moscow? It's very pretty and I really like the Logo on the ice. I missed Russia after we left the Country when I was touring. It was by far the most surprising Country I visited during my touring days.

BTW, Isn't that Jeremy Abbott's old SP Music about halfway through Alaine Chartrand's SP?

Last edited:

witcher

Match Penalty
I am extremely surprised that you would call this piece boring. It is one of the most famous pieces of music historically and associated with some of the most revered skates ever. Read on and check out the links and give the music another try.
Romantic and majestic, I know it very well, enjoy listening to it, but not in figure skating. Too monotonous for me.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Performance-wise, Evgenia is much better than Radio. Evgenia puts emotion into her program, while Radio is cold and boring. Radio has worst posture of the second group. She also has no emotion.

Lol, sorry but no. I feel the reverse.