2015-16 Grand Prix Final Ladies SP | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2015-16 Grand Prix Final Ladies SP

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Wow... All those jumps looked UR to me... She's actually lucky to have received a 68.

To my eyes, the landings of were all borderline (the 3T and 3F slightly worse than the 3Lz), and personally I'm fine with no UR calls based on the landing.

However (broken record alert), the pre-rotation on the 3T is simply unacceptable. As I and others have noted time and time again, she does almost a full turn before the left toe pick leaves the ice. The 3F takeoff is quite bad too.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"We maybe looking at the greatest skater of all time" NOT "We are looking at the greatest skater of all time." Nothing unreasonable about the statement. These two guys have been around long enough to discern what is and isn't exceptional talent. I appreciate boldness of opinion from people whom we expect to have professional insight. Also it's good for the sport.

The British Euro guys should really be embarrassed by that statement. This Russian girl has one half of a good season going for her and now she's better than Yuna, Michelle and Mao? Let's see where she is in about 3 years which is probably where Yulia is right now having lost her jumps.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
One thing for sure is that I am not going to watch Evgenia's jumps and try to learn from her. like I did from the real greatest skaters of all time.

RABID

Final Flight
The British Euro guys should really be embarrassed by that statement. This Russian girl has one half of a good season going for her and now she's better than Yuna, Michelle and Mao? Let's see where she is in about 3 years which is probably where Yulia is right now having lost her jumps.
I agree with you. Let's see where she is in three years. However there is a difference in emphasis; these guys are excited to see where she'll be in three years and I agree.

RABID

Final Flight
I think Evegnia is exquisite. That being said, I think B.Esp went overboard in declaring her "greatest female skater everrr".

People need to re-watch the video. I think you and others WANT to believe they said that. They didn't. Give the WHOLE quote.... or move on.

momskate

Rinkside
I think part of the burden should be placed on the U.S. Fed, who needs to re-vamp how its skaters are training.
Re-vamp what? It's all about $$$ Pay for skater's training at least top 10 juniors and you'll see results.
Russia has fully state sponsored sport schools, they provide phisiotherapy, massage, meals, living expenses and coaching. Medvedev and Radionova don't have to think about anything, but skating since they were novice

Last edited:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
People need to re-watch the video. I think you and others WANT to believe they said that. They didn't. Give the WHOLE quote.... or move on.

"COULD be". That doesn't make it much better. Still a huge reach for someone who hasn't completed her first senior season.

kalee

On the Ice
I just wonder what the Eurosport boys were thinking to say Evgenia might be "the greatest skater of all time" right under the nose of Mao!!! Evgenia had a fantastic skate for sure, but isn't this exaggeration a little premature and also disrespectful to Mao's standing world SP record?

RABID

Final Flight
"COULD be". That doesn't make it much better. Still a huge reach for someone who hasn't completed her first senior season.

Maybe you prefer the timid types. I don't. Also her pedigree from the juniors is pretty outstanding as well. So all of this isn't coming out of a vacuum. From what I read here she is poised to do something not done since Yuna's first season. Speaking of which her arms and her musicality remind me of Yuna.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I found the comment to be over the top too, but it's really no big deal. They said it out of excitement for a great skate.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
what about the longevity of lady skaters in this sports nowadays. Russia can produce an army of wonderbabies year after year due to the reasons @momskate mentioned. Comparing consistency(how many jumps landed in a program)between pre-pub girl vs womanly lady is not fair. Radio can tuck a -3t is because she is still a pre-pub(becoming a women). so can Evgenia, Elizabet and many junior girls. If you look at womanly lady skaters, from Russia, Liza etc, outside Russia, Yuna, Ashley, Gracie, Mao etc. to tuck a - 3t is not easy for all of them, that is why Ashley cannot tuck a -3t at ease. Radio landed is not because she is gutsy or mentally strong. It is different jumping mechanism for different stage of a lady. Those ladies has years of hard work to hone their technique and certainly extremely talented as well, but still cannot manage the consistency needed to compete with pre-pub girl. Are they really inferior "skaters"?
So if every year lady's champion will be a newly seniored Russian girl, no other country can compete since their pipeline cannot produce that many. so what about the longevity of lady skaters, is Russian lady skater really has the best technique/methodology that can sustain a long and healthy skating career, what is the radio that Russian lady skaters that didnot flop after puberty. Is it higher than other countries. Is this ISU wanna encourage. I am still a relatively new figure skating fans, but I noticed that not until recently, lady's figure skating champion are almost always indeed "lady". Just some thoughts.:biggrin: I liked what Raf said in TSL interview. the 18 year old age limit for senior ladies.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Maybe you prefer the timid types. I don't. Also her pedigree from the juniors is pretty outstanding as well. So all of this isn't coming out of a vacuum. From what I read here she is poised to do something not done since Yuna's first season. Speaking of which her arms and her musicality remind me of Yuna.

Yes Evgenia is exquisite in her arms and musicality, but her jumps are not so good.If she could be the greatest ever. I think many junior girls just competed at this JGPF could also be. I dont think there is much difference in terms of talents between Evgenia and those girls. Many of those girls also reminds me of Yuna's certain quality too.

andromache

Record Breaker
what about the longevity of lady skaters in this sports nowadays. Russia can produce an army of wonderbabies year after year due to the reasons @momskate mentioned. Comparing consistency(how many jumps landed in a program)between pre-pub girl vs womanly lady is not fair. Radio can tuck a -3t is because she is still a pre-pub(becoming a women). so can Evgenia, Elizabet and many junior girls. If you look at womanly lady skaters, from Russia, Liza etc, outside Russia, Yuna, Ashley, Gracie, Mao etc. to tuck a - 3t is not easy for all of them, that is why Ashley cannot tuck a -3t at ease. Radio landed is not because she is gutsy or mentally strong. It is different jumping mechanism for different stage of a lady. Those ladies has years of hard work to hone their technique and certainly extremely talented as well, but still cannot manage the consistency needed to compete with pre-pub girl. Are they really inferior "skaters"?
So if every year lady's champion will be a newly seniored Russian girl, no other country can compete since their pipeline cannot produce that many. so what about the longevity of lady skaters, is Russian lady skater really has the best technique/methodology that can sustain a long and healthy skating career, what is the radio that Russian lady skaters that didnot flop after puberty. Is it higher than other countries. Is this ISU wanna encourage. I am still a relatively new figure skating fans, but I noticed that not until recently, lady's figure skating champion are almost always indeed "lady". Just some thoughts.:biggrin: I liked what Raf said in TSL interview. the 18 year old age limit for senior ladies.

I get what you're saying, and it's something that worries me too, but this is really too early to tell. A lady won WC last year! Liza wasn't prepubescent, and she earned the WC through her fabulous jump technique.

There's no need to worry about an out-of-juniors girl winning every WC title just yet. Tara Lipinski's rise provoked those fears, and was followed by years of the Kwan/Slutskaya rivalry, both of whom were grown women.