2016 Junior Worlds Ladies Short Program | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2016 Junior Worlds Ladies Short Program

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
Does the ISU actually want skaters to keep skating with bloody noses? Do they like the idea of seeing skaters spinning with blood dripping on their face staining their costumes and the ice? Because when they give such harsh deductions from a nose bleed, I can't help but feel like they are saying that they would rather the skater keep spinning and jumping getting blood everywhere then having the audacity to want to put some tissue up their nose. One of these days they are going to get a stubborn kid (like i was) who refuses to voluntarily stop and just turns the ice into a horror movie scene.

To me stopping bleeding is as much a courtesy to those around you and that have to skate after you as it is for the benefit of the person bleeding. I don't see the benefit of punishing the skater for basically doing the polite thing.

I agree. There are special cases like this one where an interruption is in the best interest of the competition as a whole. And I think a five point deduction is such a hard punishment that the skater must have some serious mistake to deserve it. A nosebleed certainly doesn't count as such.

tzazu

Medalist
Does the ISU actually want skaters to keep skating with bloody noses? Do they like the idea of seeing skaters spinning with blood dripping on their face staining their costumes and the ice? Because when they give such harsh deductions from a nose bleed, I can't help but feel like they are saying that they would rather the skater keep spinning and jumping getting blood everywhere then having the audacity to want to put some tissue up their nose. One of these days they are going to get a stubborn kid (like i was) who refuses to voluntarily stop and just turns the ice into a horror movie scene.

To me stopping bleeding is as much a courtesy to those around you and that have to skate after you as it is for the benefit of the person bleeding. I don't see the benefit of punishing the skater for basically doing the polite thing.

I totally agree with you. In others sports, like soccer, it's compulsory that the player that is bleeding leaves the field till the bleeding stops. Courtesy to those around you

noidont

Final Flight
Alisa and Marin are my favorites. Would be amazing if any one of them becomes WJC. If everyone skates clean I think Marin has the best chance out of the top 3.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Last edited:

andyjo24

Medalist
Maria is always so solid, but for some reason, she just bores me... I don't know what it is, but she doesn't capture my attention. I try to be excited about her but can't :scratch2:

berry8

Final Flight
Sotskova in third even without Tsurskaya here, unthinkable! :curse:

Her SP isn't the best ever...
Her LP is quite better: given that Alisa and Marin are not great LP skaters I think (and I hope) she will win.

Marin and Alisa are so short -.-I prefer taller skater in general...

This event was a joke!

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree. There are special cases like this one where an interruption is in the best interest of the competition as a whole. And I think a five point deduction is such a hard punishment that the skater must have some serious mistake to deserve it. A nosebleed certainly doesn't count as such.

Seriously! Would they rather have a skater look like a zombie on the ice and then later have to have an even bigger delay to clean blood off the ice?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
If she hadn't stopped, the Referee probably would have ordered her to.

"If a Competitor gets injured during the performance or another adverse condition related to him or his equipment (such as health problems or unexpected damage to his/their clothing or equipment) impedes his/their skating, the Competitor/s must stop skating. If he/they don’t stop, they will be ordered to do so by an acoustic signal of the Referee. "

Do they still get the deduction if the ref orders it? Because that is an entire other issue on top of it all if the ref can basically decide to give a skater a 5 point deduction. Still... i would have likely been pig headed enough to keep going till the whistle was blown...

I really don't like penalizing skaters, especially at the junior level, for seeking medical attention... I think it sends a very wrong message to skate through pain/injury and keep your mouth shut.

Last edited:

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Sotskova in third even without Tsurskaya here, unthinkable! :curse:
Not so unthinkable. She has not been getting first places in the SP this season. Her stability and mistake free FSs are her strength. So she can certainly move up in the FS. Especially Alisa is not that stable in the FS. It will be a wonder if she wins.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
See, scores and thinking that it's too high or low are things I don't get mad at the ISU for this. Cause I feel there's reason. For stuff like giving deductions for things out of the skater's control, like a medical occurrence such as a bloody nose, then that's when I get very annoyed at the ISU for deductions. Like you're punishing skaters for having blood come out of their nose and making them stop to get it treated?

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Alisa and Marin are my favorites. Would be amazing if any one of them becomes WJC. If everyone skates clean I think Marin has the best chance out of the top 3.

Same! Love them both and thrilled that they placed so high. Also hoping for the American ladies to maintain their placements or even for one to medal! So exciting! :yes:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
US Ladies can get back a third spot! That will be nice to see. :yes:

Violetti

On the Ice
I am really sad to see Viveca miss the FS. I really like her and thought she could do really well.

So am I really sad. With her season's best she would have been 11th. Maybe she felt too much pressure as there were so many competitors. And this is only her second big event. Maybe there will be less pressure in the Worlds in Boston as if she fails it doesn't matter as much. Finland won't get many Jgp spots now. Does anyone know how many jgp spots a country will get if their skater did not qualify for the FS in Junior Worlds? I lost interest in this competition. It won't be even fun to watch FS as there is nothing to hope for.

I've also noticed that many times Finnish skaters fail if they have to skate first after the warm-up. Some said they felt unsure in the warm-up and did not have time to shake that off and feel sure again.

Last edited:

Sorrento

Record Breaker
One of these days they are going to get a stubborn kid (like i was) who refuses to voluntarily stop and just turns the ice into a horror movie scene.
I wonder what kind of deduction would be applied in this case? Seriously. Is it minus 1 same as for a costume malfunction?
The deduction Elizabet got today made me angry. The rule is stupid.

Last edited:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
MARIN for the win!!!!!!
I wouldn't mind the podium stayed like it is now but just changing Marin and Alisa.
Marin and Alisa are my favourites and did so well today. Maria was solid but I think it is deserved she is behind.
Wakaba can still come back in the free. I thought she improved a lot and enjoyed her more than usual.