2016 Finlandia Trophy Ladies SP | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2016 Finlandia Trophy Ladies SP

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am also wondering why are people only talking about effortless speed? To me, ease of movement is equally important (i.e. making movements seem complete and effortless). This a quality that veteran skaters like Mao and Carolina have and many skaters today lack. So many young skaters today rush through their performance and don't finish their movements. Also, aesthetics is becoming a lost art. Very few skaters nowadays pay attention to line, posture, extension. Mao still does and that alone sets her apart.

I think variation of speed, posture, and interpretation during not only the StSeq but throughout the footwork(connecting steps) of a program play a huge factor in scoring the Skating Skills but similar to how height can sort of cause GOE to spike on a jump, I do think using those skating skills to achieve high speed going into the elements will make any skaters SS go up. Heck...speed can probably boost the TR and PE too.

Personally I thought Anna had a more athletic attack on SS today while Mao was more artistic. Now the question is what type of judge you are I guess. I certainly understand a judge who likes to see control of borderline wreckless speed while I also see a case for one who likes someone who goes for more feel.

I'm not bothered at all that some judges would score Anna's SS higher then Mao even if I'm not so sure I'd do it myself but to tell ya the truth I think Anna is often undervalued by the judges so it's kinda nice to see the tide changing. Nice to see lower scores in a lot of events too IMO.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I have read a lot of your posts through the years. It's quite impossible to read all of them, my apologies. ;) I'm just puzzled on what kind of reaction you expect from Mao fans to your posts. It's natural for us to disagree with you because we are her fans. That's not to say I don't see flaws in her skating but I don't feel an opinion is constructive if it leans heavily towards the negative aspects and not consider the positive parts equally. Therefore, I agree with chloepoco that it gets tiresome after a while.

If you dont like what I posted it, I dont know what to do then, I cannot and will not shut up because you dont like it. I also am NOT focusing on criticizing Mao as well. I just post some things that I saw when I watch Mao skating either live or on screen. And tried my best to be fair and stay to what I saw (if you dont think it is true, but actually is informative, but I think you already knew. ). I especially felt obliged to post something that I observed, that is quite different from Mao fans advertised. but that was a while ago. I was young:biggrin: indeed it is tiresome. And the truth is, my posts about Mao is not that much at all. Maybe, in the future I will have no interest at all. But I dont know for now.

about the positive part, I have to say, I always give Mao credit, when credit is due. but Mao fan just inclines to focus on negative side and cannot make peace about it,it is understandable, like the thorn on the Rose.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The mistake was actually quite minor. She stayed on one foot, so it was more of a sloppy turn out rather than a step out.

What would you score it?

I'd probably go -2 with 0 being reserved for a standard clean landing.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Mao is annoying me so much. I can't get over how she doesn't try a Triple-Triple. IT MAKES NO SENSE. One of the most talented skaters ever and she just throws points away for NO reason. Truly one of the most baffling things ever in the history of a skater. She was doing 3Flip+3Toe consistently in the 2007-2008 season and then suddenly...never again. Not a single attempt. IT MAKES NO SENSE.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I just watched the top 3 skaters from the SP. A battle of the black dresses.
They are all quite wonderful in their own ways, all mature ladies, with distinct styles. :luv17:
Anna was a little clunky to me at the beginning, (her blade work) but when it came to her step sequence, I love the attack and speed and performance she gave. I prefer last season's SP, but this one is new, so I'm willing to wait.
Mao has so much over-all polish, it's not one particular area, but all areas. However, she did seem slow. On the plus side, I like this program much more than last season's program and I like the dress.
Katelyn knew how to perform this music to a T. It seems as if it was made for her. She has the balance between smooth skating, speed and complexity for me that is easy on the eyes. BUT...I hate the music. It's not just a slight dislike, I really, really don't like the music. But I really like Katelyn. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i agree with you! especially in light of mao getting -2 GOE for her loop. that was a case of 0, not Pogo's.

But was Mao's 3lo really a clean landing :slink:

I'd give it a -1 but don't see anything odd about it getting -2. I'm just glad it wasn't called UR.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
What would you score it?

I'd probably go -2 with 0 being reserved for a standard clean landing.

Maybe -1, but I don't think 0 is totally inappropriate. The turn-out on the landing was the only bad thing about the combo. She flies into that lutz. If it were clean I would expect +2 across the board.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Some comments...almost as shocking as the comment in which someone equated Ashley Wagner's skating skills to Janet Lynn's. Yes. Someone did that. Globetrotter has hit it right on the mark.

Janet Lynn, Dorothy Hammill, and Yuka, did have similar styles but, I would definitely not add Ashley to that list. I love Ashley but, her style is much different than that of the other ladies. I can't think of a current skater who reminds me of them. There were very compact skaters who were athletic, and graceful. I remember Uncle Dick said that Tonya Harding reminded him of Janet Lynn and I think if Tonya had better packaging and more importantly, Choreography. I think it was true. Here's her 1991 Nationals LP when she landed her first Triple Axel. Dick says she reminds him of Janet Lynn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIGoWGjetog

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe -1, but I don't think 0 is totally inappropriate. The turn-out on the landing was the only bad thing about the combo. She flies into that lutz. If it were clean I would expect +2 across the board.

Yeah...I guess a judge could find all types of positives to counter the one negative but I admit to hedging certain factors and to me the landing edge and holding out of a landing is detrimental. I always thought I was lenient but I guess here, on this matter, I'm a bit of a **gulp** purist.

Last edited:

iamchrislao

On the Ice
what on earth is happening to Serafima???? she can't even medal at junior worlds at this rate....goodness me!

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Have you guys noticed that everyone here has slimmer their legs?

Or it's because of the lighting and camera work?

Or it's because it's the beginning of the season, and top skaters lose several pounds to get ready for competition?

yuki

Final Flight
My suggestion is that, Mao fans should really read my comments about her skating.

Should we? Some of us have actually seen her skating live and trust our opinions more. Why do you insist that your opinion on Mao's skating is the right opinion?

I watched her programs quite carefully, and gave my honest opinion towards her Finlandia outing and thought quite hard about wording that will offer my honest opinion but not offend Mao fans . BTW,I really did not spend much time on commenting about Mao at all, if you read all my posts. As long as Mao skates, I will watch her and offer my opinion as constructive as possible.

You have been and continue to be one of the most biased posters here when it comes to Mao. Not everyone has joined the forum this year.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Should we? Some of us have actually seen her skating live and trust our opinions more. Why do you insist that your opinion on Mao's skating is the right opinion?

You have been and continue to be one of the most biased posters here when it comes to Mao. Not everyone has joined the forum this year.

you are entitled to what you do and what you believe.
I offer my observation.
And the truth is the truth and will always be there.
me suggest Mao fans to read my posts is actually my kinda intention, since I thought I at least offered some info(some insight actually.)
Well anyways, just ignore me if you cannot bear it.
I will take care of my reputation/credibility on this boards or elsewhere.