2016 Skate America Ladies SP | Page 51 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America Ladies SP

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Kanako did not have major mistake in her SP but rec'd 40's level scores, judges do not want to see her skate anymore.

There were mistakes alright. But this is just punishment. If you see that score, you'd think it must've been a splatfest with no jumps. The axel for example, was alright, wasn't it? I admit I'm not an expert....but this girl was a medal contender once, did she lose all that made her one? Reminds me of Leonova. It's just hard to see your one time favourites treated that way. Didn't she skate a brilliant SP at this years 4CC? Idk what happened.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
There were mistakes alright. But this is just punishment. If you see that score, you'd think it must've been a splatfest with no jumps. The axel for example, was alright, wasn't it? I admit I'm not an expert....but this girl was a medal contender once, did she lose all that made her one? Reminds me of Leonova. It's just hard to see your one time favourites treated that way. Didn't she skate a brilliant SP at this years 4CC? Idk what happened.
Her axel was alright and she got good points for her axel. The 3F and the 3T-3T were the problem. She lost approx. 12 points on those elements.

DiamondDust

Final Flight
Watching Kanako, I don't get it. Yes, she obviously had not the skate of a lifetime. Yes, there were obvious mistakes and she seemed stiff and (maybe) scared. But not even breaking 50? That's just cruel. That's the way to crushen a spirit, people.

I haven't watched much of her skates but from what I've read she used to be great but declined :scratch2::(. I had hopes to see this "great" side of her though (the only one I liked was her POTO sp). But her performance here was a disappointment. *sigh* She looked kind of uninterested... hmm lacking of emotion and energy, I didn't even get what she was trying to convey. It's interesting to me now how she does on her FS.

skatefan22

Medalist

I think the < for the first 3T is harsh because that one looks fine to me. But she just seemed stiff and scared last night. She even stopped her biellmann which is rarely seen in her entire career. I feel that she lost spirit even before the competition started.

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Devastated for Kanako and Angelina. Their skates did not feel as bad as their scores would suggest. Also think that if Gracie had that score with a fall, So Youn score should be 60. (or Gracie score lower, performance wise it wasn't anything special) Very happy for Mai Mihara! Though her performance left me a little tepid. Ashley program suits her a lot and the costume is spot on :)

mcq

Record Breaker

It is because both her jumps (3F and 3T) are downgraded, thus it would score less than a clean 2F and 2T. Her other 3T was also UR but her 2A was graded clean. Downgraded jumps really cost a skater many points, and I think she 2ft her landing too so...
I think it is harsh, but if you look at the numbers and her performances, she is scored accordingly. It has been her issues since last season I think. I am a bit sad tbh, I like her. :/

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
lol, Gracie getting score like that, after that uninspiring and sitting on her flip... :slink:
Frank don't let her do two Flips in FS pls....

Ashley was overscored too with an UR, Mao, Son Youn and Daleman got lowballed.

Well, ...it's tradition. It's not call 'Inflate America', for nothing. Some federations intentionally keep their best skaters home for that reason.

hurrah

Medalist
How on earth did Mao get level 3 on her step sequence!? And Ashley, though her acting skills are great, is a very, very mediocre skater when she skates amongst elite skaters, and should never ever have better GOEs than Mao in step sequence in any given day. Judging is as bad as ever.

sneakers

Match Penalty
Well, ...it's tradition. It's not call 'Inflate America', for nothing. Some federations intentionally keep their best skaters home for that reason.

Im sticking to my original prediction

It will be Ashley, Mai and Gracie for the podium
unless Gracie makes 3 falls in the FS - that severe deduction after the first fall applies now right ? then Mao, Garbie or So Youn might sneak the bronze.

kiara_bleu

On the Ice

Sincere question, is that really a thing? Haven't heard of that till now. Also as I mentioned before The Skating Lesson shared the judge breakdwon of the scores for both Mao and Ashley on their instagram and the American judge's score for Ashley was actually more at the lower end of the spread compared to other judges. Only Japan and Canada scored Ashley lower. He/She also scored Mao higher on some and Ashley on others although of course the overall score came out slightly in favor of Ashley. The American and Japan judges were the only ones to give Mao a score in the 9s. The Canadian judge looked like he/she got out of the wrong side of bed :laugh: giving the lowest scores compared to other judges, even giving Mao scores all in the 7s.

katymay

Medalist
It's funny that now that people are jumping off Ashley's bandwagon, I'm jumping ON it.
I've never been a fan of hers, but all of a sudden I'm willing her to succeed. Strange. I think it's because I like her programs this season.
I do think her dress needs to go, though.

I am not a fan of her skating, but I am a fan of her work ethic. She never shows up out of shape, out of condition etc. I suspect she is one of the hardest working skaters competing today. Where she is weak, she works overtime to overcome the weakness. (UR jumps etc.) I can't think of a skater who more deserves success.

da96103

Record Breaker
Im sticking to my original prediction

It will be Ashley, Mai and Gracie for the podium
unless Gracie makes 3 falls in the FS - that severe deduction after the first fall applies now right ? then Mao, Garbie or So Youn might sneak the bronze.

Severe deduction occurs on the third fall.

1 fall: -1.00
2 falls: -2.00
3 falls: -4.00
4 falls: -6.00

katymay

Medalist
Putting aside the strip dancer comment (which was gross), this is not a great program for Ashley IMO, and it's not because of the music or because she's not a pretty princess. It's because this is more dancing (and posing) than skating, which is not an issue for an EX, but this is supposed to be a competition program.

Agree. And even though that happens to be one of my favorite songs, this version got on my nerves. I felt like I was at a bad disco. I honestly hated this program. I loved her short last year-so unique and also fun.

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
Kiara, last year, the Pairs event at SA was a prime example. Even with a poor performance in the LP, a certain team still ended up with a silver, setting them up with points towards a GP final. At the end of the day, the cream rises to the top, as it was obvious that they were the weakest team at the GP final.

Oh I was just referring to your term "Inflate America", haven't heard of that before and was wondering if that is a popular skating lexicon I just haven't encountered till now.

piona

On the Ice
And Ashley, though her acting skills are great,

I dont wanna get rude,but those "acting" skills are limited to a table-dancer in a go-go-bar.
And her choise of music makes her even more cheap. (Ever listened to le lyrics?)

andromache

Record Breaker
I am truly disgusted by these nasty and rude comments about Ashley's programs. If it's not to your taste, feel free to say so. However, to compare her to a stripper, table-dancer, etc., is not only false, but your attempts to insult and degrade a world-class skater by comparing her to these types of dancers under the assumption that these dancers are "cheap" and untalented is also offensive.

It's funny how it's ONLY people online who are bitter about Ashley getting higher scores than their faves are the ones who dislike Ashley's programs when audiences all over the world give her standing ovations when she skates clean.