2016 Skate America Ladies SP | Page 54 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America Ladies SP

taltaltel

On the Ice
Gracie completely suits this Tango, she owns this genre, though there's just too much "floor action" in this piece. I really miss her Gershwin 3 Violins, and hope that she steps back into that when she goes for something else apart from the tangos.

She really doesn't. She bores me to tears when she's going through the dance steps she's been taught, with absolutely zero passion or fire. Her Worlds performance last year was actually pretty flat too, but at least she was smiling through that one. Gracie needs to do programs that she likes, we've all discussed that before, like maybe a Taylor Swift song. Heck, Ashley made a program out of Sweet Dreams, so why not?

skatefan17

On the Ice
That's exactly what I meant. Lasty year's 'Rhythm section' was absolutely superb. She is perfectly able to put the same spin on 'Sweet Dreams' and I hope she and Rafa will. It's still early days... :agree2:

It didn't seem like he was too concerned when interviewed after the short program. I really hope she re-works this program, either by changing the cut of the music or adding in different transitions. This program is disappointing to me. It seems too exhibition-like.

andromache

Record Breaker
Start watching Russian and Japanese skating for a while and when you suddenly see a Murrica, you know instantly, that he/she doesnt belong to the circle of the world-class.

Wow, maybe we shouldn't let the other countries compete anymore?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
So no American or Canadian is world class? I'm not trying to be provocative but that seems like one heck of a statement to me. Patrick Chan isn't world class?

I think the world is big enough for many different kinds of skaters doing many different kinds of programs and as fans we can like it or not like it but I know I'd be unhappy fan indeed if I couldn't enjoy many different kinds of skaters.

qwertyskates

Medalist
She really doesn't. She bores me to tears when she's going through the dance steps she's been taught, with absolutely zero passion or fire. Her Worlds performance last year was actually pretty flat too, but at least she was smiling through that one. Gracie needs to do programs that she likes, we've all discussed that before, like maybe a Taylor Swift song. Heck, Ashley made a program out of Sweet Dreams, so why not?

Ouch...not Taylor Swift surely, I like Gracie much better when she does the spunkier programs, I still think 3 Violins was her best despite complaints about her helicopter arms, she wasn't really dancing to that one, who can, that piece is brilliant but not "performable" and I'm impressed she did it, her way.

Last edited:

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
That's exactly what I meant. Lasty year's 'Rhythm section' was absolutely superb. She is perfectly able to put the same spin on 'Sweet Dreams' and I hope she and Rafa will. It's still early days... :agree2:

I also hope this program evolves into something like last year's as well. It has the potential. My biggest issue with the overscore is that Ashley and Raf might see that this "works" with the judges so they feel confident about it as it stands.

Last edited:

Plisskin

Medalist
So no American or Canadian is world class? I'm not trying to be provocative but that seems like one heck of a statement to me. Patrick Chan isn't world class?

I think the world is big enough for many different kinds of skaters doing many different kinds of programs and as fans we can like it or not like it but I know I'd be unhappy fan indeed if I couldn't enjoy many different kinds of skaters.
It always happens. I've been watching skating for years and you always get the one's where, when 1 or 2 countries start dominating in that particular cycle, everyone else sucks to them. It is what is is. I just ignore and keep it moving.

qwertyskates

Medalist
I guess one of my criteria for a GREAT program is that it is remembered even when the season is over. I don't remember many, but Gracie's 3 Violins is one of those.

I find Mai as tepid as Satoko, please Mao, stay competitive for you will be badly missed.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I think judging was adequate and placements are in general correct.

Ashley was fantastic. She is one of the kind with her expression and contact with the audience. The sport needs divas and extroverted entertainers. Her score is nothing to complain about: clean with some URs but still below 70.

Mihara is not my cup of tea. For me she is just one of generic young Japanese skaters. You saw one of them - you have seen them all. I may be harsh. But I already forgot what she was skating to and how she skated. But like many other young Japanese skaters she does all the elements, does not UR and get high scores for that.

I liked Gracie's skating more than I usually do. I think she performed better, was less stiff in her upper body. Well, she is doing tango the second year in the roll. I think she liked her skating as well and was disappointed with her score - the look on her face was: "what?" In Boston she scored 76 and for me she was no better. The only difference was flip. But it does not cost 12 points. I think she expected around 68. But that would be a scandal (same as her Boston's 76 imo).

I enjoyed Daleman. She was fast, may be a little less furious I wanted her to be but anyway very good. A little bit more polish, more attention to details and she will contend for big podiums.

Mao's program is gorgeous especially her StSq. Her score was a little bit low. I think, judges treat 3-3 as a standard for elite ladies. Mao does not have it in SP, and she URd the flip. That's why she was penalized for that pcs included. I know the argument that pcs and TES should be independent - I don't buy it. In the extreme situation of no jumps at all a skater could show outstanding choreography, interpretation, etc. Should she receive stellar pcs? No, it is easier to be "a good skater" when you don't have a burden of triple jumps on you. Mao's program has a tremendous potential score wise: add a clean 3A to todays performance - it's already way above 70 - bring 3-3: it's the world's record.

qwertyskates

Medalist
I also hope this program evolves into something like last year's as well. It has the potential. My biggest issue with the overscore is that Ashley and Raf might see that this "works" with the judges so they feel confident about it as it stands.

Are you refering to "Hip Hip Chin Chin"? The music has huge potential but the way Ashley performed it was just awful, cute-sexy-pussycat awful. As awful as the "Frug" Katelyn Osmond did.

andromache

Record Breaker
Well, having seen the Indian guys at JGP, I really thought if it was a bad joke.

In the early 1980s, Yao Bin of China skated with Luan Bo in pairs skating. At the 1980 World Championships in Dortmund, they came in a very distant last place. The audience, including Irina Rodnina, laughed at how bad they were. They placed last at a few more World Championships and at the Winter Olympics.

Fast forward to the 2004 World Championships, again in Dortmund, and Coach Yao Bin's three Chinese pairs placed 2nd, 3rd, and 5th. In 2010 at the Olympics, they placed 1st, 2nd, and 5th.

Even if you find the skating subpar, international competition from countries across the world is super important to the development of the sport.

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
It didn't seem like he was too concerned when interviewed after the short program.

Since you brought Raf's interview up, I have to say that I enjoyed that much more than I enjoyed any of the women's short programs. Raf looked seriously hot in that jacket and scarf he was wearing and, as usual, had some interesting things to say.

Ross74

Medalist
Coming from someone who has no favorites with the ladies and is trying to get back into skating after a long absence, my favorite SPs were those of Mai and Mariah. I adore Mariah's choreo and hope she continues to execute it well. Mai was just a pure joy to watch. I wasn't a fan of Gracie's music, but thought her skating was fine. I think Ashley would do well with some additional choreography. Didn't care for Gabby's style. Just an overall impression.

piona

On the Ice
Even if you find the skating subpar, international competition from countries across the world is super important to the development of the sport.
Onlyifitmakessence.

Dont mix up a Country like China, who investes millions to represent their athlets on ice, and a young foolish boy from India, who just had a sudden idea to skatte.

liv

Record Breaker
I remember the Chinese in the 80s in pairs. They were awful. It was truly embarrassing to watch them. But, that experience was invaluable for their development as a figure skating nation, particularly in pairs, and has paid off big time.

Ashley deserved 1st place. I"m ho-hum on some of the scores for PCS, but her placement was correct.