2016 Skate Canada Ladies SP | Page 41 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Canada Ladies SP

mrrice

Record Breaker
I realize that I am late to the party but, I just wanted to give a shout out to Kaetlyn Osmond for her spectacular SP. I loved everything about it. The music, the costume, and she performs like a Broadway Star. I just loved it! :points: :cheer2:

rain

Record Breaker
So what's the point of the ranking?

That is not how this sport worked for the past two years at least, and the level of the inflation on the men is way worse just because Javi and Yuzuru are so consistent over the years.

But just to be clear: Kaetlyn was great here, well deserved the second place and the personal best, just the score is too high in my opinion.

Wait, so you think wherever the skater is in their ranking should add or subtract points from their score arbitrarily, never mind how they perform on the day? No. Just no. That's about the worst suggestion I've ever heard.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Med's bodytype still is pencil thin and looked significant different from thin girls of other countries e.g. satoko, Dabin or her country mate Polina T, Julialip etc. especially her hip, thigh area. Her body type is comparable to little Elizabet and Elizabet is the one who is landing 4S. Don't know if Med is ever going to grow a womanly body eventually. She is almost 17 now. maybe she is just genetically gifted a body type like this that will help her consistency tremendously.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I have better joke. One person broke the world record cheatin' and pretend to know how to make lutz.

Yes, evgenia is very consistent. In every way. Especially In doing flutzes :p

I dont think there's more americans and canadaians hating Evgenia than russians Osmond. Russians think that when their skaters get high scores, they are always deserved, but when some skater from other country get high one either , they think it is mostly overscored.Scores of their skater are always justified, they cannot see any mistakes in their athletes. Others are always overscored by judges and "home cooked"

Why hate at all? :(

Skatergal101

On the Ice
I'm disgusted reading this thread! Why all the hate on osmond? She skated amazing for the first time in forever, she has the speed, jumps, presentation, spins.. Etc. She has it all. Can we be happy for someone doing great after literally breaking their leg?! If this was an American or Russian skater coming back from injury everyone would be beyond pleased. So much hate!!
She deserved the score, she skated clean. A small stumble after the flip is nothing compared to the past...

Skinny80

Match Penalty
Dunno why. Russians "hate" Osmond only now because she is too close to Medviedeva. But I think if one just say something "bad" about Evgenia(for instance someone doesnt like her skating) russians just bubbling something about jealoussy . If russian is the winner ,no one can touch her/his/them ;) She is marvelous ,mesmerizing,terrific etc.Deal with it :p The conversation is over

mrrice

Record Breaker
Why hate at all? :(

Exactly!! I have only seen Kaetlyn's SP and I absolutely loved every aspect of her performance from beginning to end. Her scores are completely out of her control and it's an insult to accuse an International Panel of judges of "Home Cooking" You're basically calling them cheaters and I think that's unfair. Most of you know that I was a Judge for H.S. and College Dance Teams for many years and it's always difficult to judge the host school, or in the case, Country. You do your best to block out the huge reaction that the home team receives but, you'd be surprised at the amount of times the home team has the performance of their lives and deservedly wins. In this case, that's exactly what happened with Kaetlyn. Good grief, she's not even in 1st place.

Last edited:

Skatergal101

On the Ice
Can we take a moment to realize there was 1 judge from Canada on panel? Clearly all other judges also enjoyed osmond a performance and rewarded her for that.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Wait, let me get this straight - reputation points are bad because that's overscoring, but at the same time someone without a top reputation shouldn't get a high score even when they deliver?

I'm actually starting to feel sorry for the judges. They really CAN'T do anything right in the eyes of us fans!

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Exactly!! I have only seen Kaetlyn's SP and I absolutely loved every aspect of her performance from beginning to end. Her scores are completely out of her control and it's an insult to accuse an International Panel of judges of "Home Cooking" You're basically calling them cheaters and I think that's unfair. Most of you know that I was a Judge for H.S. and College Dance Teams for many years and it's always difficult to judge the host school, or in the case, Country. You do your best to block out the huge reaction that the home team receives but, you'd be surprised at the amount of times the home team has the performance of their lives and deservedly wins. In this case, that's exactly what happened with Kaetlyn. Good grief, she's not even in 1st place.

Yeah, I like both girls. I don't mind homecooking actually even if it is a case sometimes. Even more, I say all other countries should be enjoying few extra points here and there, if they hosting an event and inviting athletes. So it's ok, it is all in the game sometimes. Sometimes. No point of constant arguing. It would be much easier if everyone just imagine if homegirl is receiving extra points because of the all trouble home country went for in hosting, organizing and putting together event like this. It's not an easy task at all. It's like when I cook dinner and invite few other friends and couples over, I usually don't ask to bring anything, but good mood and compliments to the cook, aka me. :D

BlackAxel

Final Flight
Wait, let me get this straight - reputation points are bad because that's overscoring, but at the same time someone without a top reputation shouldn't get a high score even when they deliver?

I'm actually starting to feel sorry for the judges. They really CAN'T do anything right in the eyes of us fans!

In an ideal figure skating world there would be no such thing as reputation points. Each skater should be scored based on the performance that he/she is able to deliver at a given competition.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
To be honest that's not enough to justify that score.

This is 10 points above her PB and she got that at Finlandia Trophy two weeks ago, not ages ago. I'm sayin this as a fan of Kaetlyn: i love her packaging this season (best short program dress so far), she has everything but i would like to see some consistency to get at that level, this is almost disrespectful for the other skaters who are working so hard just for that extra 2 points for the PB, while Kaetlyn is getting everything just for one great night at Skate Canada (not even worlds or GPF)

From what i've seen, i'm fine with the placement. I thought Kaetlyn was great and she deserves the second place, but i don't agree with the scores: 69, 70 or 71 would have been a little more appropriate considering we haven't seen a good skate from her for a very long time.

While Satoko maybe deserved at least the third place, even though i don't like her jumps at all (when she lands them, her GOEs should be around zero) and to me it's okay to see Liza ahead just because of the jumps.

Would it be easier if we all can agree that yes, she has been a bit over scored, but not too "in your face" kinda overscored. And judges doing it for the sake of the sport. FS loosing ratings and popularity almost worldwide. Host countries needs a glorified local hero to promote and push popularity of the sport at home. And what sells better than home grown Cinderella story? It's ok to put few extras here and there. Feds and judges have to do something to make sport more popular. Not just in Ru, JPN, Ca and US, but in other countries. They are not plotting against a specific nation or rigging the odds in favor of an another. Mathematically speaking, they noticed that inclusivity in sports works the best in promoting sports. Variety and all-inclusivity when all nations, hair colors/eyes, races, cultural background have an equally dispersed amount of victories. Japanese want their skaters win more often, so do Russians want to see more of their favorite skaters to win, so do Americans, French, Italians, Canadian and all others I failed to mentioned. It's not nice, but it's the way it is. So the Feds have to balance between this silly high-school popularity contest and competitive competition of athletes. It's a hard job, sometimes they do good, sometimes they fail. It's ok too. If your favorite skater loose (or was not properly scored) at some given competition - think about it this way: you can loose the battle, but you still can win the war (I.e. The GP Final) ;)

Other nations need to medal sometimes too, otherwise it's not fun. It might be bad for competitiveness, but good form sport overall, so it's good for everyone who is in the sport. :) This is how j prefer to think when I feel some points are a bit rigged. Deep breath helps too. ;)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can we take a moment to realize there was 1 judge from Canada on panel? Clearly all other judges also enjoyed osmond a performance and rewarded her for that.

Maybe their official ISU dinner Poutine came with a side of a million loonies :p

Alex D

Record Breaker
I have to admit that I don´t really understand why some users come to the forum here. Please don´t take this the wrong way, but all the fighting in each thread, it´s really unnecessary. Some of you seem to forget that skaters read along and I don´t think it´s fun to see all the naming and shaming here, cmon show some heart guys.

It´s not just the skaters, but also members might be unhappy with that situation, personally I completely stopped reading along during competitions, as there is no result that does not end up in a fight. I don´t care who started it or why you fight, but it´s not helping anyone and to once again attack skaters because of their body shape is really low. You don´t need to like everyone, but a bit more positivity wouldn't hurt. FS does not attract many people outside of Japan, so those few of us who are left, should be kind to the skaters and each other, cheer for them together and let them know that there are still people watching.

Personally, I had a great time watching Kaety´s comeback, she is far from a bad skater, just look at her SS, the TR and how present she is, even with the huge difficulty and Evgenia, she has incredible talent to feel the music and her programs are so full of choreography, amazing and she has grown and yet, does all her jumps just fine, this deserves respect and not hate. I cried with Yuka and swayed with Alaine who will now give me a sleepless night... Why is it so hard, to just not take everything so serious and just have a calm conversation about the sport we all love, or do you only come here to fight?

Sorry if I sound like your daddy now, but ya - show some heart, please.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Kaetlyn was amazing! Except for that stumble after the combination, I think she must have just been really happy to do it and lost focus. Her program is so much better than Medvedeva's.

I was really happy to see Rika Hongo deliver and as usual she was underscored.

Satako Miyahara's program remains underwhelming, sigh. It tries so hard too, the elements themselves are intelligently structured, but there is no real build or meaning to the program. It's just continuous, segregated march of random "nice"-ness. But with flawed jumps, that she got scored correctly for here (although full 'e' on the Flip was overly harsh, but the underrotation was blatant). Very disappointing considering this source music and how wonderful a program could be to it, particular for a skater like Satako.

thoakun

Final Flight
I missed everything due to amazing weather ☀️

What the heck happened to Yuka Nagai here? Did she forget to do an Axel jump or something :shame:

I really like her so I guess it's time for ..... THIS

Not sure if you've already known, but Yuka is reworking her jumps from the basics and her team is eyeing Beijing Olympics. Her practice is not good either. I guess you have to hit the bottom first and then rise back :scard7:

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I have to admit that I don´t really understand why some users come to the forum here. Please don´t take this the wrong way, but all the fighting in each thread, it´s really unnecessary. Some of you seem to forget that skaters read along and I don´t think it´s fun to see all the naming and shaming here, cmon show some heart guys.

It´s not just the skaters, but also members might be unhappy with that situation, personally I completely stopped reading along during competitions, as there is no result that does not end up in a fight. I don´t care who started it or why you fight, but it´s not helping anyone and to once again attack skaters because of their body shape is really low. You don´t need to like everyone, but a bit more positivity wouldn't hurt. FS does not attract many people outside of Japan, so those few of us who are left, should be kind to the skaters and each other, cheer for them together and let them know that there are still people watching.

Personally, I had a great time watching Kaety´s comeback, she is far from a bad skater, just look at her SS, the TR and how present she is, even with the huge difficulty and Evgenia, she has incredible talent to feel the music and her programs are so full of choreography, amazing and she has grown and yet, does all her jumps just fine, this deserves respect and not hate. I cried with Yuka and swayed with Alaine who will now give me a sleepless night... Why is it so hard, to just not take everything so serious and just have a calm conversation about the sport we all love, or do you only come here to fight?

Sorry if I sound like your daddy now, but ya - show some heart, please.

:clap:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not sure if you've already known, but Yuka is reworking her jumps from the basics and her team is eyeing Beijing Olympics. Her practice is not good either. I guess you have to hit the bottom first and then rise back :scard7:

Thanks for sharing. I always liked her in Juniors and I feel like she had a few good skates after turning senior (maybe challenger series) but wish her the best. She seems like a sweet girl!