2016 Skate Canada Men's SP | Page 41 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Canada Men's SP

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yikes - just checked into this thread after checking the results thread. GOOOOOO Patrick. I don't even care how he got there.....glad to see he's in 1st place. Poor US Men. Must have been pretty awful. I taped the competition but it won't show until tomorrow.

Glad to see Kevin doing well.

Well, I would have rather seen Chan in first not because of a field meltdown.

It's funny that people are so quick to say for other skaters "When he goes clean, he scores _____ so it was the right score"... but when Chan gets a 90 with a fall and every jump rotated cleanly otherwise - and his personal best is 98.52 - everyone is up in arms, lol.

Last edited:

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Patrick had a gorgeous 4T/3T, landed his 3Lz and had superb skating, choreography, and performance. The only flaw was the fall on a rotated 3A. Mura stayed on his feet, quite a feat for an evening like this one, but should lose on the low quality of his quad, spins and program.

Mura's stepped-out quad got him -2.86 GOE. In fact, his 4T earned him about half a point more than Patrick's not-so-great 3Z. :eek:hwell:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Men have tried so hard to spin in the air they neglected spinning on the ice, and perhaps other on ice skills too, such as skating.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Mura's stepped-out quad got him -2.86 GOE. In fact, his 4T earned him about half a point more than Patrick's not-so-great 3Z. :eek:hwell:

That was super harsh... but I'm guessing the -2/-3s are due to the lack of preceding steps because the quad combo essentially became his solo jump. A stepout + no preceding steps = -2 or -3.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
Skate Canada standings after SP:

Men:
1. CAN
2. JPN
3. CAN

Ladies:
1. RUS
2. CAN
3. RUS

Pairs:
1. CAN
2. CHN
3. CAN

Dance:
1. CAN
2. USA
3. CAN

Weird pattern ... :think:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

not so great, i agree.. but hanging on tightly to a landing which still flows is much better than the kind of STOPPED landing Mura showed. I have been very vocal on how I felt Mura was underscored in a previous competition when he went clean. Here, compared to the field, he looked cleaner but he still wasn't and those level 2 spins and footwork gotta hurt... I wish him a great skate in the FP though

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Skate Canada standings after SP:

Men:
1. CAN
2. JPN
3. CAN

Ladies:
1. RUS
2. CAN
3. RUS

Pairs:
1. CAN
2. CHN
3. CAN

Dance:
1. CAN
2. USA
3. CAN

Weird pattern ... :think:

I think that'll change in the FS. You'd have to imagine G/P will get surpassed by the Italians, and I don't know if I/M can hold off both the Americans/Russians (here's hoping). Still, it's kinda crazy to see Canada leading 3/4 disciplines and 2nd in the other...

And I thought Skate America was successful for the Americans! Hope I don't jinx it for the Canucks! ;)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
patrick lost a lot of levels too

I remember looking at his footwork and not all of the turns were quite there (e.g. his outside loop, and some of his turn series could have been crisper, I also don't think he had enough turns/steps in each direction to merit a level 4 even it was performed beautifully). As far as the final spin, I'm guessing he didn't hold his back cannonball sit just a tad, but otherwise I thought that spin should have been level 4.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
he seemed cautious and slower than usual to me, so perhaps he couldn't hang on to the spin positions longer.. anyways, looking forward to seeing the Lps of everyone tomorrow...
I remember looking at his footwork and not all of the turns were quite there (e.g. his outside loop, and some of his turn series could have been crisper, I also don't think he had enough turns/steps in each direction to merit a level 4 even it was performed beautifully). As far as the final spin, I'm guessing he didn't hold his back cannonball sit just a tad, but otherwise I thought that spin should have been level 4.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
he seemed cautious and slower than usual to me, so perhaps he couldn't hang on to the spin positions longer.. anyways, looking forward to seeing the Lps of everyone tomorrow...

He was more cautious than we've seen him perform this program in earlier versions and partially in practice. I think he also got behind the music a little after the fall. However, his performance was still miles ahead of everybody else in a night like this one.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
:agree:
He was more cautious than we've seen him perform this program. I think he also got behind the music a little after the fall. However, his performance was still miles ahead of everybody else in a night like this one.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Super disappointing Men's event. I was in a great mood last weekend watching SA and thinking the season was off to an exceptionally good start and hopefully was a sign of great things to come. I guess not. :noshake: I think the scores and standings are correct. Hopefully the men will pull it together tomorrow.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Is it me or has Patrick Chan become sort of a stud and gotten really attractive since his come back last season?

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Patrick Chan and Yuzuru Hanyu were head and shoulders above the rest in PCS, Yuzuru's ability to gain speed is excellent but he didn't really look completely there however he lit up like a light bulb for the step sequence. Patrick's speed and ice coverage was just sublime, his edges are so so deep and he's so smooth across the ice.

Wo|flax

Final Flight

Mura and Kevin both frontloaded the jumps; Patricks 3Lz is in the second half. Yuzuru's 3A (also 2nd half) got more points than any of Kevins or Muras jumping passes.(and Mura didn't have preceding steps, he really should plan that, just in case he misses the combo, i mean this is the guy thats tried 4T4T, he can plan steps to a Quad combo, on the otherhand, safety apparently helped with consistency.

Though in my heart/gut I want Mura and Kevin to be scored higher, but I've seen worse scoring.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Patrick Chan and Yuzuru Hanyu were head and shoulders above the rest in PCS, Yuzuru's ability to gain speed is excellent but he didn't really look completely there however he lit up like a light bulb for the step sequence. Patrick's speed and ice coverage was just sublime, his edges are so so deep and he's so smooth across the ice.

Oh yeah definitely. That was really obvious. I think Hanyu's Prince routine has real potential and I think it'll be an excellent program by season's end. I think Yuzuru has the attitude down and he'll grow into it even more. Chan's skating is simply sublime and I'm loving how he's performing since his come back. Last Olympic cycle, I respected his skating skills immensely but didn't like him as a performer, but now I love him as a performer.