2016 Rostelecom Cup - Men FS | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2016 Rostelecom Cup - Men FS

da96103

Record Breaker
Anyway I expect Javi to do well at Worlds next years. Big chance he will surpass Chan's 2 World titles. My advice, Hanyu and Chan should start to worry about Shoma Uno who now has the TES to match and is now earning higher PCS than them for similarly flawed performances

Chan has three world titles. Easy to remember like this: Chan won all three world titles in the three non-Olympics years between the last two Olympics.

So the joke is Javier should try not to win this year, lest Yuzuru snatches the Olympics in 2018 as before.

da96103

Record Breaker
I am really glad Javi won. I heard something like he was in bad shape and vomitted on ice because of jetlag. But he is really strong genetically so I think he got over the jetlag quite fast.

Plus he has beautiful Miss Ando waiting for him at home giving her full support.

Florencito

Medalist
Javier always hits it out of the park when I can't watch him! Keep going, campeon, keep going.

Gosh, everytime he pulls out something like that I can't help thinking of the day he didn't qualify for the lp at the Europeans. That was almost 10 years ago. And now he's been on the top of the world for the last few years. Such an amazing and inspiring career.

da96103

Record Breaker
Why Hanyu and Chan suddenly included in a thread about Rostelecom Cup? Shouldn't people just focus on Javier, Shoma and other participants of this events?:scratch2:

If there's no Yuzu v Chan posts, better check if you are still on golden skate .

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
WOW, I´m very happy for Javier´s great freeskate, he skated like a two-time World Champion!!! And I like his new program very much although I´m not a fan of Presley...

Bychenko was a surprise medalist, could he possibly make it to the GPF this year? His second GP is NHK, where there is of course Hanyu, but could he get a bronze there, too? He has time enough to polish his sp...

Last edited:

melmel

On the Ice
I really loved Shoma and Javi today ! SPecial mention to Bychenko who is proving that you can be a late bloomer !

Shoma even makes me like his music, and Javi nearly made me spontaneously combust XD Let's hope he'll do as good next weekend and we'll get to see them again in december !

LeeJiHye19

Final Flight
If there's no Yuzu v Chsn posts, better check if you are still on golden skate .

I know that Yuzu and Chan will always be a debate in goldenskate but neither of the two is in rostelecom cup so why bring them up? The discussion must be with how Javier won or how shoma get his silver despite of his advatage. Or something like that and leave Yuzu and Chan alnoe until GPF...

Rissa

Record Breaker
I would agree that he has acknowledged other skaters like Fernandez when he was beaten. I see Hanyu as highly confident which isn't a bad thing until it stops him from looking more objectively about his competitive career. At Skate Canada he seemed intent on skating his program the way he saw best rather than conferring with his coach, Brian Orser. All these quads are going to take their toll on a man of his physique. I wish he would put more attention to the performance as being less about OTT costumes and dramatic movements. I know I'm in the minority here-judges give Hanyu PCs that baffle me.

His OTT costumes and dramatic movements is what single-handedly got me back to watching figure skating after a 15-year break. If it wasn't for his Parisian Walkways SP and OTT costume and dramatic Ina Bauer in his LP, I wouldn't be here today. It cerainly wasn't the "ultimate interpreter" Patrick that drew my attention, lol.

Basically, Hanyu and his ilk are exactly what I want from figure skating.

So, don't underestimate the power of drama and costume. And I also think you overestimate the power of, uh, whatever Patrick has.

Just saying.

ETA: also, dramatic movement IS a part of performance.

Just saying.

ETA 2: omg, I just noticed I'm in the Rostelecom thread arguing about Hanyu vs. Chan again. I don't know how it started but I love how everything is about Hanyu vs. Chan. :laugh2:

Admittedly I'm not a fan of Fernandez, but his pcs is ridiculous. Yes, he had a great skate and has a lot of quality, but let's not pretend his skating is at Chan/Hanyu's level... come on. But, getting higher pcs for clean skates is nothing new.

I don't think his PCS are that ridiculous. People need to get into their head that skating skills are not the only PCS element and Javier DID have a great skate. He might have been overscored a bit but not by much. A point, two at most.

Last edited:

LeeJiHye19

Final Flight
WOW, I´m very happy for Javier´s great freeskate, he skated like a two-time World Champion!!! And I like his new program very much although I´m not a fan of Presley...

Bychenko was a surprise medalist, could he possibly make it to the GPF this year? His second GP is NHK, where there is of course Hanyu, but could he get a bronze there, too? He has time enough to polish his sp...

With Nathan and Jason there? I doubt it.

rain

Record Breaker
Okay, I like the way this program sits with Javier. I think the Elvis works really well. I like all the choreographic touches to express the theme. Javier is not and never will be an elegant skater. Someone has figured out how to package him to play to his strengths.

Rissa

Record Breaker
in the SP is was to still give him an outrageously good score so he could still win
in the FS it is because he skated clean unlike Chan or Yuzu.

It is not fair but clean skates do get a mad boost in PCS

What?

What?

Like, seriously, what?

LeReveur

On the Ice
I would agree that he has acknowledged other skaters like Fernandez when he was beaten. I see Hanyu as highly confident which isn't a bad thing until it stops him from looking more objectively about his competitive career. At Skate Canada he seemed intent on skating his program the way he saw best rather than conferring with his coach, Brian Orser. All these quads are going to take their toll on a man of his physique. I wish he would put more attention to the performance as being less about OTT costumes and dramatic movements. I know I'm in the minority here-judges give Hanyu PCs that baffle me.

Count me as someone who hardly ever finds Hanyu to be a great interpreter of music. I used to find Patrick very lacking in that aspect, and I still think both guys have room to grow, but I have overall noticed them connecting more with their music in the past year. Thank goodness for that. Nevertheless, I find CO/IN to be very subjective and suspiciously tied to jumps. I back others who want a correct spread of PCS. There are times when I would have Hanyu and Chan quite low in CO and IN. I don't think they or anyone "deserve" high marks there just from past results, skating fast, trying hard jumps, having good edges, etc. They have to earn those marks each and every skate, just as all skaters do.

NicoleH

On the Ice
I don't think his PCS are that ridiculous. People need to get into their head that skating skills are not the only PCS element and Javier DID have a great skate. He might have been overscored a bit but not by much. A point, two at most.
Then give him high scores for the rest, but he only deserves lower than 8 for his skating skills. There's a reason why there are five criteria for the PCS, so you should give separate scores for skating skills and performance. He's cleanish (though with some iffy landings), so he can get a higher score on PE, but only deserves like a 7.75 on his SS.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Well, there's always plenty to quibble with but I definitely think that 3 perfect 10s in interpretation for Javi, this early in the season, is lunacy. It was quite good, but I saw a lot of room for improvement...he isn't really giving 100% Elvis swagger. I think he could certainly get there by the GPF and/or Worlds, but calm down, judges...

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I am still looking at Shoma's GOE and can't believe to my eyes..0.7 for a flip with botched landing which was off jump from start to the end?! and then positive GOE for that axel?! 91.3 for that skate?! almost same PCS as SA, how he even got any positive goe for those landings...
Javi's scores were inflated but compared to Shoma's it can be justified, he was cleanish and got some reputation bonus too.

Idk what kind of vodka judges were drinking in Russia, it was a good one apparently, I will need to order that so that I can drink and watch later 3 GPS and gpf , watching these events sober lately is becoming very stressful for my poor old body. :hpull:

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I am still looking at Shoma's GOE and can't believe to my eyes..0.7 for a flip with botched landing which was off jump from start to the end?! and then positive GOE for that axel?! 91.3 for that skate?! almost same PCS as SA, how he even got any positive goe for those landings...
Javi's scores were inflated but compared to Shoma's it can be justified, he was cleanish and got some reputation bonus too.
Idk what kind of vodka judges were drinking in Russia, it was a good one apparently, I will need to order that so that I can drink and watch later 3 GPS and gpf , watching these events sober lately is becoming very stressful for my poor old body. :hpull:
I know right... I have no idea why judges do this. It is not good for the sport and not good for the skaters either. PCS is always in debate. But GOE is listed and well stated in the guildlines. Everyone can read and question it. Why the protocol look so clean but the actual performance is not? I mean those landings and those GOE baffle me. :(
And I am not even comparing this event to other events.