2016 NHK Trophy Free Dance | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2016 NHK Trophy Free Dance

apple123

On the Ice
How come nobody talk about how fast and powerful V/M skated? The speed, the ease, the strength and the precise edges are in a league of their own. Competing together really give you a direct visual. They put all others including P/C to shadows at the skating skill department. It's just unbelievable.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I am seeing posters who have been members on this site for a while come out of the woodwork to offer disappointed comments.

But reading over both the SD and FD threads I'm disappointed to see comments throwing shade at Tessa and Scott just because they did better. Even a "It's not fair!" What do you guys watch ice dance for? To see interesting performances, amazing technical ability, innovative interpretation? Or is it just to cheer on one team? Whose rivals, if they do better, will get belittled? I guess they were undefeated for so long it's a shock to some.

I'm not here to gloat, just to comment that I didn't expect to see this from ice dance fans. I've heard people who said they'll stop watching figure skating when Yuzuru retires. It seems that some ice dance fans are becoming like that too. Which is sad for me because ice dance is such a wonderful discipline. Too wonderful to live and die for one team, IMO.

heavy

Rinkside
As fan of Ice Dance and fan of the Tessa & Scott and Gabriella & Guillaume i agree with you Mango. And in in this event we have a wonderful FD of Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte and Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean Luc Baker. The Japanese public received very well this two dances, I'm very happy for them.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I am seeing posters who have been members on this site for a while come out of the woodwork to offer disappointed comments.

But reading over both the SD and FD threads I'm disappointed to see comments throwing shade at Tessa and Scott just because they did better. Even a "It's not fair!" What do you guys watch ice dance for? To see interesting performances, amazing technical ability, innovative interpretation? Or is it just to cheer on one team? Whose rivals, if they do better, will get belittled? I guess they were undefeated for so long it's a shock to some.

I'm not here to gloat, just to comment that I didn't expect to see this from ice dance fans. I've heard people who said they'll stop watching figure skating when Yuzuru retires. It seems that some ice dance fans are becoming like that too. Which is sad for me because ice dance is such a wonderful discipline. Too wonderful to live and die for one team, IMO.

Life is so much more pleasant when you're an ICE DANCING UBER and not an ICE DANCING TEAM UBER.

Just sayin'...

:hap36:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Life is so much more pleasant when you're an ICE DANCING UBER and not an ICE DANCING TEAM UBER.

Just sayin'...

well said and pure true, but unfortunately for some people these two things are the same, because their team is their only ice dance perspective which reflects in comments and opinions. It's often a case for ppl emotionally invested in their team, they just can't separate these two spaces which is a shame...

olayolay

On the Ice
I like P/C a lot but watching the two teams back-to-back was really eye-opening. P/C really have had no real competition these past two years. They don't quite have P/C's fluid, airy qualities, but V/M's speed and power was just incredible to watch. The rink could hardly contain them. I feel like they're so much faster than they were in 2014.

nocturnalis

Medalist
People need to stop saying these past two years like they weren't 4th in the SD at the 2015 Worlds and won with a twizzle error. Because Gabriella was concussed, they didn't even perform in major competition after 2015 Worlds before 2016 Euros.

Sackie

Medalist
After reading all the negative comments about V/M the only question I ask myself is would there be as many posts looking for flaws in the judging of the French Team if it had been the Shibs who defeated them? Or would most posters be so happy that the Shibs won that they wouldn't even think twice about the judging!
As someone else mentioned before that the negative posts surrounding any CAN skater that wins a medal is astounding.

rosy14

Final Flight
People need to stop saying these past two years like they weren't 4th in the SD at the 2015 Worlds and won with a twizzle error. Because Gabriella was concussed, they didn't even perform in major competition after 2015 Worlds before 2016 Euros.

When again they were second after the SD (Euros 16).

rosy14

Final Flight
After reading all the negative comments about V/M the only question I ask myself is would there be as many posts looking for flaws in the judging of the French Team if it had been the Shibs who defeated them? Or would most posters be so happy that the Shibs won that they wouldn't even think twice about the judging!
As someone else mentioned before that the negative posts surrounding any CAN skater that wins a medal is astounding.

Or it would have been worse. How dared the Shibs, the scholarly dancing, the boring dancing, Shibs defeat the überalle P/C ?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Just sayin'...

Definitely. I have my strong loyalties, however it's much more fun to enjoy a wide variety of programs and skating styles.

I feel like the above can apply to the men too. Way more fun to be a men's skating uber than a [your favorite men's skater goes here] uber.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I am a fan of so many teams, how can you not be with the wealth of talent we have in this field.

V/M are skating better than ever. The difficulty in their SD and FD is insane which they executed with
speed, precision and power at this competition, and I am glad they were rewarded by the judges.

heavy

Rinkside
Of course not, they are good technically and great performers, too. They can beat anyone. But that twizzles are mesmerising. The final will be insane, with so good teams.
If only twizzles were the only judged element!

AliAle

On the Ice
Problem is that, at least in other skate forums, Youtube, FB pages, people are literally crazy for them. You can't say anything critical, even demonstrating your points, that they latch at you, trash you, menace you, ban you, etc. So now that judges have seen things some of us have been seeing since two years ago, again especially in the short programs, we are a bit rejoicing. It's not fair, ok, but sometimes it's so naturale to say:-Ah, we were right the whole time!-.
When Wirtue and Moir announced they were back, many have commented that it would have been tough for P/C too, not only for the other Canadian couples. And lastly their scores in Paris were ridiculously high. So high that someone smellt a rat. No couple at home in November have had such scores, at least in the last years. Not even W/M.

Haven't checked other skate forums or FB, but Youtube is a cesspool of vitriol and craziness. Nobody can quite match that crazy french lady (which I suspect has multiple accounts), but I've seen some horrible things on P/C videos from NHK as well. It just makes me upset when people seem to take joy in any skater failing. I know it's a fan war out there, but I hate thinking of skaters reading any of that bulls**t. If you wouldn't say it to their face, maybe you shouldn't say it at all.
Second thing, P/C lost on levels, the PCS advantage that Scott and Tessa got was slim at best (especially in the short, where P/C were error free). Unless someone here was actually complaining in the past that the French don't hit the levels they get, the judges haven't validated any of the anti P/C opinions.
Last, I propose we all rejoice in the accomplishments of our favorites, not the failures of others, it makes for much more pleasant conversation. And just for the record, I think Tessa and Scott won NHK fair and square.

padme21

On the Ice
Shibutani's twizzles are unbeatable, no one can do that like them. ;)

This.
The Shibutani's twizzles are on a whole other level. I've seen many good teams twizzles V/M and D/W. Even they couldn't hold a candle to the ShibSibs!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This.
The Shibutani's twizzles are on a whole other level. I've seen many good teams twizzles V/M and D/W. Even they couldn't hold a candle to the ShibSibs!

They are really going to benefit from that +5 SOV when that's in place.