2017 Four Continents Men SP | Page 100 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Men SP

tureis

On the Ice
Wow, two 100+ scores and neither for Yuzu! :eek: Very surprising pop. When was the last time he popped a 4S? He would occasionally fall or have scrappy landings, but he so reliably rotates them. Probably got overexcited by the perfect 4Lo. Anyways, good performance otherwise! It's just funny seeing Yuzu do these winks at the judges - stuff Javi would do. But then again, Yuzu hasn't really had this type of entertainment program before.

Now, can someone please talk Yuzu out of doing the combo on his second 4S and just this once play it safe and go for it on the first jump? I still think it's an unnecessary risk and a waste of valuable points when he misses the second 4S.

Great skate from Nathan, but the PCS are somewhat quad-inflated. (I mean, judge #1, just :laugh:) He does deserve to be a couple of points above Boyang in PCS though. Now that I'm seeing them at the same competition, Boyang comes off as more juniorish compared to Nathan, and his SP, as fun/funny as it is, isn't helping in that regard. Nathan still also has several juniorish aspects to his skating, but his SP is better packaged. His FS is a different matter though. It will be really interesting to see what PCS he gets, especially skating last, and right after Yuzu.

Shoma's quad landings are still :rolleye: And surprisingly sloppy on the last spin. Amazing 3A, but still I'm not sure that SP deserved to break 100.

And Patrick...sigh... Well I guess this means a stellar FS with his customary one bad + one great skate showing. I appreciate his brilliance and supreme skating skills, even though I've never been a particular fan of him overall (though I really do like this SP), but come on, 8.75 for SS? What the hell was judge#5 smoking that he gave identical SS scores to Patrick, Boyang and Nathan?

Danibellerika

Medalist
Wow, two 100+ scores and neither for Yuzu! :eek: Very surprising pop. When was the last time he popped a 4S? He would occasionally fall or have scrappy landings, but he so reliably rotates them. Probably got overexcited by the perfect 4Lo. Anyways, good performance otherwise! It's just funny seeing Yuzu do these winks at the judges - stuff Javi would do. But then again, Yuzu hasn't really had this type of entertainment program before.

I think he tripled the quad at skate canada and didn't do a combo.

mrrice

Record Breaker
OK people. It's approaching 8:30am here in California and for me, the Men's event to start. I haven't looked at ANY posts but, since we're on page 133........:eeking: I can assume that event is over for everyone else. I hope you all enjoyed and I really hope my boy's skated well. It's so tempting to look but, I'm going to use discipline, and go make coffee.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Yuzuru did really well. The way he incorporated the 'crazy' into his program after he popped the quad was amazing. He never gives up and I'm really proud of him. I think 97 was a very high score though, and give credit to Yuzuru who looked honestly surprised when those numbers came up. I think that makes him a great sportsman, someone who doesn't expect to get scores handed to him, who wants genuinely do his best and not get any freebies. I think it's good to remind us all that in the end it's the judges who hand out the scores. Not the skater. I didn't expect such a score for Yuzuru this time when I saw what Nam Nguyen had received earlier. I wish them all the best in the free, but especially a clean free for Yuzuru. That program is just lovely (I wouldn't mind him getting off the podium if that means he will win Worlds this year, though)

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
And some how it always favours the Americans lol (reference to the olympic scandal in synchro swimming years ago when the judge admitted she had pushed the wrong button and did so right away but the higher ups said too bad and oly gold went to the American and the Canadian took silver - though I think someone reversed this wacko decision years later.

I don't think they reversed, they gave a second gold to Frechette even though the corrected score gave her the overall top score. The US beneficiary of the judge's error, was allowed to keep her gold medal.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Yuzuru did really well. The way he incorporated the 'crazy' into his program after he popped the quad was amazing. He never gives up and I'm really proud of him. I think 97 was a very high score though, and give credit to Yuzuru who looked honestly surprised when those numbers came up. I think that makes him a great sportsman, someone who doesn't expect to get scores handed to him, who wants genuinely do his best and not get any freebies. I think it's good to remind us all that in the end it's the judges who hand out the scores. Not the skater. I didn't expect such a score for Yuzuru this time when I saw what Nam Nguyen had received earlier. I wish them all the best in the free, but especially a clean free for Yuzuru. That program is just lovely (I wouldn't mind him getting off the podium if that means he will win Worlds this year, though)

All Yuzuru's elements other than the popped combo were high quality and got high GOEs - that's where the points come from. The skate was clean - no falls, stepouts, etc so I don't understand why people are surprised at that score.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I don't think they reversed, they gave a second gold to Frechette even though the corrected score gave her the overall top score. The US beneficiary of the judge's error, was allowed to keep her gold medal.

I think you are correct. It would have been really sad to rip the medal out of Kristen Babb-Sprague's hands 2 years after she won it. Or was the 2 year thing Beckie Scott getting the Gold up from bronze? It get so confusing when they go back and change results. Debbie Wilkes said in her book that even though the team that won the silver had their medal taken away so she and her partner went from Bronze to Silver in the worlds of 1964 (?) that she always felt that she had won the bronze and that the other team should have been able to keep their silver. I wonder how many other athletes have mixed feelings about being awarded a different medal after the fact.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
All Yuzuru's elements other than the popped combo were high quality and got high GOEs - that's where the points come from. The skate was clean - no falls, stepouts, etc so I don't understand why people are surprised at that score.

Also, we see people complain about PCS all the time but to be quite honest, there's a bit of a great difference between Yuzuru and Patrick compared to Nathan, Boyang and even Shoma in terms of maturity and quality in skating, which is something they've developed over the many years they've been practicing. And if they are 'saved' by their PCS, which I think is kind of a misnomer because they worked for those and even with pops or even a fall, it doesn't detract from their sheer quality and skills, I think it's only fair comparatively because how else can you differentiate those with great skating skills and transitions from those who are merely good? If the judges push PCS on the lower end, which seems to be an ongoing trend for the past couple of years, and PCS have a ceiling, there's not much way for the judges to distinguish the 'veterans' who have earned those points with preseverance and work over the years. For many of us, I think the gap in points between the youngsters and the veterans is even too low. Heck, there's some 'veterans' who deserved much higher than they got (Jason Brown, Han Yan, etc.).

I don't know, that's just my impression, especially after watching videos from most of these guys and seeing the sheer differences that exist between a Patrick and a Yuzuru from a Nathan or a Boyang. Shoma is a bit in between. He has great skating skills and presence though I understand those who say he tends to do a bit too much two-footed skating compared to the top guys, which doesn't show his skills to the fullest.

Edited to add: Then again what do I know, I just got here. But my 2 cents and all.

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

Well even Yuzuru looked surprised, so there's that.

bixby

Final Flight
It looks like the younger generation is taking over and will probably dominate the old. Nathan Chen definitely sets the bar high on the technical side with a commanding lead. He does these difficult quads with such ease, so effortless that it doesn't come across as labored at all.

Rissa

Record Breaker
It looks like the younger generation is taking over and will probably dominate the old. Nathan Chen definitely sets the bar high on the technical side with a commanding lead. He does these difficult quads with such ease, so effortless that it doesn't come across as labored at all.

Yes, we're definitely seeing the dawn of a new era. I'm crossing my fingers that the technical mavericks will learn how to combine those jumps with more elaborate programs. :yes:

Bonesfan

On the Ice
Well even Yuzuru looked surprised, so there's that.

It's Japanese culture to be self-critical. Have you seen many Japanese skaters assert that they thought they deserve higher scores? "Pleasant surprise" doesn't always mean that a skater thinks they were overscored.

When I was accepted at university, and then graduate school, I thought the admissions committees made mistakes. (Yes, I'm of Japanese descent, it's hammered into us).

shine

Record Breaker
And Han and his PCS. Lower SS score than Boyang's and Nathan's, come on. And Patrick's relative to everybody else's. And on the Lady's side, Zijun's PCS is ridiculously low. These are the outrageous glaring ones, not counting the smaller debatable differences among others.

Why are some people conveniently lumping Chen and Jin in the same group just because both do a quad lutz? Their skating skills and presentation in general are not even in the same league. If anything Chen is much closer to Uno than he is to Jin in terms of quality.

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
It's Japanese culture to be self-critical. Have you seen many Japanese skaters assert that they thought they deserve higher scores? "Pleasant surprise" doesn't always mean that a skater thinks they were overscored.

When I was accepted at university, and then graduate school, I thought the admissions committees made mistakes. (Yes, I'm of Japanese descent, it's hammered into us).

I don't think that's it. Compare it to other reactions when he had less than stellar skates. He rarely looks surprised at his scores, mostly nods acceptingly.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Why are some people conveniently lumping Chen and Jin in the same group just because both do a quad lutz? Their skating skills and presentation in general are not even in the same league.

I'm assuming you're advocating Nathan's superiority? I think Boyang's underappreciated when it comes to presentation skills. Nathan has better SS but Boyang's got some major performing power. Both of them have better SPs than LPs, and lets face it, both of their LPs are mostly setting up for jumps, so you can't even see Nathan's good qualities. For what they put out there on the ice, they should be scored closer than they are.