2017 Four Continents Men SP | Page 99 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Men SP

liv

Record Breaker
I don't think we're in for a Medvedeva situation with Chen anytime soon.... but I never thought we'd be in a Medvedeva situation either.

And I doubt Chan will retire before the Olympics. He is still a contender, ice is slippery, and he is the tops in Canada... and, while I have no idea about anyone's particular motivation for skating, Team Canada is definitely in the hunt for Team gold. Hard not to think about that achievement, however new it might be to a skater's thinking...

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
The Quad Toe looks under.
Not sure how to look at his Quad Flip anymore, it always looks like a 3.5F to me.

They are not going to call Shoma's jumps. I don't know why when they call other people's but Shoma gets away with it. It's just how it is, along with the nonsensical PCS overall. It's something to live with.
Obviously I don't agree but I'm having wine in the afternoon for a reason.

frida80

Record Breaker
This is probably the most civil post-event thread I've seen this season. Not a lot of controversy tonight/afternoon/morning (depends what time zone), just some great skating with some questionable scoring here and there.

Man, I'm sleepy... Time for bed.:bed:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Especially when you think about Nam and his tech score.

And Han and his PCS. Lower SS score than Boyang's and Nathan's, come on. And Patrick's relative to everybody else's. And on the Lady's side, Zijun's PCS is ridiculously low. These are the outrageous glaring ones, not counting the smaller debatable differences among others.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I'm not talking about pre-rotation. He landed his quads short today which is quite visible. The bad landings should require a review, yet the judges turned blind. If Shoma is any other guy, his TES will drop like crazy. It's just so unfair.

Like Nam?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I'm not going to wade through this thread to see what you all thought as I often do. Sorrynotsorry. Love you guys but no. Did anyone say anything especially funny? I feel like someone should do a recap of threads. The greatest hits version of 4CC. I'm not volunteering.

Congrats to Nathan. I love Shoma so I'm sad to hear about the prerotations. He is one of my favs. Hanyu is skating the FS. That is an enormous burden off my shoulders. I was worried the streams might actually work quickly for the whole event. Patrick: Redemption in the free. This isn't Canadian nationals where you could drive the Zamboni while eating a hot dog and still win. Misha Ge: 8th place does not look good on you. Fix this you lovely thing. I'm happy Han Yan didn't bomb.

I'm calling it now. Hanyu back big in the LP probably with a Seasons best score. Other than that I feel anything could happen. I'm so confident in the Hanyu prediction that I'm betting my dog. If Hanyu doesn't come back big (Eli is a Jin fan) I have to get him a pizzel.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
My guess: a mistake, the Candian judge wanted to give him 9.75 but punched the wrong number~~

And some how it always favours the Americans lol (reference to the olympic scandal in synchro swimming years ago when the judge admitted she had pushed the wrong button and did so right away but the higher ups said too bad and oly gold went to the American and the Canadian took silver - though I think someone reversed this wacko decision years later.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Nathan is totally doing the 4S-disguised-as-3Lo in the FS, no doubt about it.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Wow, I slept like a baby, so I only managed to catch Patrick in replay, Misha, and Boyang full.
I was so happy to watch Misha. He is a gorgeous skater. I watched Nathan's video and I am without words. In my head I see him slightly ahead of a clean Yusuru, who is, at least, outrageously great. But Hanyu signed the result by popping that S.
I really liked Boyang. What a wonderful kid. Yes, he messed his 4Lz3T, but what a combination. Only Chen and Jin can do it. Actually 4Lz was not bad at all, only the landing was not good for a combination. The fact that he was able to do a 3T shows his greatness, even he over turned the landing.
I thank all guys who uploaded videos! :clapper:I still have to catch up with what happened.

Last edited:
To me, the judging was totally straightforward and without controversy.

Nathan Chen skated great and is leading. Shoma Uno skated cleanly and is in second. Hanyu popped; Chan fell; it is what it is.

On the PCSs side, Hanyu and Chan were highest, followed closely by Uno.

I kind of wish that Boyang Jin would score a little higher on performance and choreography. My guy Grant Hochstein skated pretty well. We'll see what happens in the LP.

Let me try something here (Part 2)

Let me try something here

Take Yuzu's score: 97.04

Minus the 2S+3T: - 6.30
Minus the level 3 spin FCSp3: -3.73
Minus the level 3 steps StSq3: - 4.73
Interim total: 82.28

Add back the 4S+3T from GPF: + 17.37
Add back to level 4 spin FCSp4 from GPF: + 4.20
Add back the level 4 steps StSq4 from GPF: +6.00

= 109.85 (WR 110.95)

Just 1.1 away from WR

This is a great idea. They should score Worlds this way. Each skater gets to cherry-pick each of his elements from the past season, than add up the points to determine the world champion, worlds records, etc. :yes:

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Someone commented that there would be fewer comments on the thread because it was in the middle of the night. Pre competition:50 pages. During competition: 73 pages. :eek::dbana:

I predicted 150 pages. We're almost there :laugh:

when is the last time Yuzuru didn't win gold or silver?

You can check Yuzuru's competition results here, or on his wikipedia page, where there are detailed results with scores, and a nice chart with coloured results, which I like to look at because of the amount of his medals he's won so far.
Ok, back to topic: last time he was off the podium was at NHK 2014, for the obvious reasons. He also finished 3rd at WTT 2015 but I don't count that.
By the way, he very rarely finished on 3rd place. So I won't expect a bronze medal from him on Sunday :laugh:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
This is a great idea. They should score Worlds this way. Each skater gets to cherry-pick each of his elements from the past season, than add up the points to determine the world champion, worlds records, etc. :yes:

Hehe.. is it just the math of that that offends, Mathman?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
And some how it always favours the Americans lol (reference to the olympic scandal in synchro swimming years ago when the judge admitted she had pushed the wrong button and did so right away but the higher ups said too bad and oly gold went to the American and the Canadian took silver - though I think someone reversed this wacko decision years later.

Poor Sylvie Frechette. The wounds are deep. Weirdly, the american lady who won was married to a Toronto blue jay and he was actually booed at skydome apparently.

moriel

Record Breaker
Dear pro users, is there any way to go througha thread and see only the posts with lots of thumbs?
Would be a ncie way to read stuff like this =D

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Is there any place I can watch Patrick's SP with actual sound or has Youtube ruined all uploads already? The one I found is soundless.

da96103

Record Breaker
Maybe Nams' marks will be appealed?!

You can't appeal for under rotations. You can appeal if they misidentified an element. Hochstein's 3Lz was labelled as 2Lz in one competition and the protocols took 10 minutes to appear.