2017 Four Continents Ladies FS | Page 63 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Ladies FS

GGFan

Record Breaker
Hopefully with time Mai will learn how to use her hands, but I love the way she moves across the ice. I haven't seen her live but she looks like she's flying effortlessly. And the way she jumps out of nowhere and lands so softly is gorgeous.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
When you look at others scores this year then yes it is all relative. I mean Karen who is really an unknown except for being the new USA champ, gets 59 points for her not so great skate then yes someone who has been winning medals this year and made the GPF will score higher n PCS.
As well lets not forget Gracie's bad FS this season that scored 64.56 and 62.33! And Ashley scored 68.56 for her terrible GP free in China!

Why is it USA ladies are allowed to have bad skates and still get high PCS but as soon as it happens to someone else it is a terrible thing!

As per usual. the voice of reason. Thanks Sackie! There is no mistaking the skating skills of Kaetlyn Osmond, which were recognized accordingly.

Art&Sport

Medalist
When you look at others scores this year then yes it is all relative. I mean Karen who is really an unknown except for being the new USA champ, gets 59 points for her not so great skate then yes someone who has been winning medals this year and made the GPF will score higher n PCS.
As well lets not forget Gracie's bad FS this season that scored 64.56 and 62.33! And Ashley scored 68.56 for her terrible GP free in China!

Why is it USA ladies are allowed to have bad skates and still get high PCS but as soon as it happens to someone else it is a terrible thing!

I saw your post and wanted to respond before I take off.

I don't really think U.S. ladies get scoring breaks over other ladies. It's clear that Kaetlyn was given a break at Canadian Nationals over Gabby who debatably should have won. Kaetlyn has looked fairly good this season, but she's also been inconsistent. I think her fans and Skate Canada are just so invested in seeing Kaetlyn win and be the face of Canadian ladies. Gabby would be a good face for Skate Canada too.

Last edited:

Leonardo

Final Flight
Hopefully with time Mai will learn how to use her hands, but I love the way she moves across the ice. I haven't seen her live but she looks like she's flying effortlessly. And the way she jumps out of nowhere and lands so softly is gorgeous.

Mai was lovely. Of course, her choreography isn't good, but she has such quality to her skating. Underscored compared to the canadians today, imo

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I want to see a video of Elizabet's long with the kissncry, without commentary, so we can hear exactly what Brian said about the arms... I just used the link above but the eurosport guys are talking...

I hope he's wrong. He said they're going to make a rule about it next year that youre only going to be allowed to do tano one time and that the judges don't like it.

I don't think they should score tanos anything extra honestly unless the judge likes it but I don't like restricting it either. Let people skate how they want to skate and let the judges determine if it's great or not.

I don't even like tanos but I'm not trying to mold everyone into one type of skater either. This sport sometimes. :bang:

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you!
I'm not convinced about what Brian is saying, if the judges didn't like the tano/rippon variations then maybe they should stop over-rewarding them.

Exactly. They don't have to reward it under the current rules but they can if they like it.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I hope he's wrong. He said they're going to make a rule sbout it next year that your only going to be allowed to do it one time and that the judges don't like it.

I don't think they should score tanos anything extra honestly unless the judge likes it but I don't like restricting it either. Let people skate how they want to skate and let the judges determine if it's great or not.

I don't even like tanos but I'm not trying to mold everyone into one type of skater either.

Well I don't even think they have to outlaw it (e.g. give someone a deduction). They just have to remove the incentive for doing it more than once and that will do the trick.

liv

Record Breaker
When Boitano started it all with his lutz, it was a gorgeous arm position. Straight up, very effective and done on one jump to emphasize it stylistically. It was a wow factor jump. Adam carried it further with both arms, and again, lovely arm position. But, the girls now are just throwing the arms up on everything and it looks so messy/sloppy etc... there is no wow factor, it's just ho hum. I say, if you do it, do it properly!! So yes, I would love a limit to these 'tanos. I can see judges rewarding it anyway somehow if they don't limit them.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
Does anyone know what kind of boots elizaveta has? She's the first lady I see that has those funny blades that Nathan and yuzuru have and I wonder what kind of boot she attached them to

yuki

Final Flight
Exactly. They don't have to reward it under the current rules but they can if they like it.

If I were a young skater and saw the GOEs that skaters who tano/rippon everything are getting, I'd want to try it too. I don't blame Elizabet for thinking it was a good idea.
If anything, the judges are encouraging skaters to tano more with the marks they are handing out.

frida80

Record Breaker
If I were a young skater and saw the GOEs that skaters who tano/rippon everything are getting, I'd want to try it too. I don't blame Elizabet for thinking it was a good idea.
If anything, the judges are encouraging skaters to tano more with the marks they are handing out.

American skaters are stating to do it too! I think if it's done, a limit of two of each kind should be enough. Two tanos and Rippons.

GGFan

Record Breaker
When Boitano started it all with his lutz, it was a gorgeous arm position. Straight up, very effective and done on one jump to emphasize it stylistically. It was a wow factor jump. Adam carried it further with both arms, and again, lovely arm position. But, the girls now are just throwing the arms up on everything and it looks so messy/sloppy etc... there is no wow factor, it's just ho hum. I say, if you do it, do it properly!! So yes, I would love a limit to these 'tanos. I can see judges rewarding it anyway somehow if they don't limit them.

Yes, I'm not a dancer but I always imagine it having a regal ballet air to it. Beyond the frequency rule, I think it should be treated like a layback position, in that there are good ones and bad ones and they should be rewarded accordingly. Otherwise you're just rewarding difficulty for difficulty's sake.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't understand brian clearly :-( can you tell what is he saying?

Paraphrase what I heard.

The judges don't like it (putting the arm up)

They're going to make a rule only allowing it once next year.