2017 Four Continents Ladies FS | Page 67 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Ladies FS

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
For me, Gabby's main problem is packaging. As many folks mentioned, she has an "exotic" look, or at least her makeup and her facial expression suggest she goes for the sassy style, but she does this no matter what music she skates to. Her sp is a mismatch to say the least. If classical music is not her cup of tea, don't use it. Wait... Lori is her choreographer too...

MiRé

Match Penalty
Happy for Mai. Her jumps are actually pretty to look at. She needs to be packaged better next year, skate to somewhat heavier music to get rid of the junior look. She can be a Satoko with better jumps.

Karen needs to have a good jumping coach, because she has good height, distance and air position in jumps, but just cannot land clean. She needs to reduce the size of her jumps. She has gorgeous spins, speed, edge but she cannot deliver.

Zijun skated almost clean but still finished 7th. It is frustrating to see even a clean program didn't get her very far. She just turned 20 and will probably stay till 2022. Someone needs to coach her to have a stronger presence on ice, and designs a program to garner points. She seems to very fragile.

Dabin definitely had some help with skating on home ice. But she did move some big elements into the second half to get more points.

LOL you're out of your minds if you think she had any help. She was 11th in PCS in the SP and 8th in PCS in the FS. That's hardly ANY help. The only reason she was placed in 5th is because others made mistakes (and still received high in PCS). Not denying Da bin lacks in PCS, but saying she had home ice advantage is ridiculous.

Her past records:

NHK 2016 PCS of 25.52 in SP and 52.64 in FS
Skate Canada 2016 PCS of 24.67 in SP and 51.73 in FS
4CC 2016 PCS of 23.80 in SP and 53.27 in FS
4CC 2016 PCS of 26.06 in SP and 57.95 in FS

Even if you subtract your definition of "help" of increase in 5.22 PCS still leaves her in 5th place.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Before we start writing Kaetlyn's performance off here let's not forget Gold's performance from last year. Heading into 4CC everyone was saying it was Gold's to lose and she needed a win to be taken seriously at worlds. Well she didn't win and like Kaetlyn didn't even medal, yet she went on to win the short at worlds and end up 4th overall.
And at least with Gabby winning the short and getting a medal here maybe she will be seen as fighting for a top 6 placement come worlds.

True, but Worlds were in US. And many would agree wouldn't score so high in SP anywhere else. Kaetlyn won't compete in Canada at Worlds this year. Though I wouldn't write her off. She still has big chances for medal, there is a lot of potential in her, but she has to stop to give in to pressure so much. I mean, Satoko won 4CC last year and was a bit dumped in Boston, who knows what will happen in Helsinki.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
4CC is really Mirai's favorite event isn't it? :laugh:

It seems like the place where she always gets her season best results lately

frida80

Record Breaker
NBC broadcast is the same as every. Now their showing last nights men's short rather than any of the earlier ladies.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
4CC is really Mirai's favorite event isn't it? :laugh:

It seems like the place where she always gets her season best results lately

Sadly it seems because it follows US Nationals and Mirai usually doesn't make the World team she has no pressure on her so she does better then normal.

Sackie

Medalist
Kind of glad the Gabby didn't win here cause that might have put too much pressure on her going into worlds. The last few years those winning 4CC have not done their best at worlds. This way by coming second and knowing she could have done better might give her more of a fight comes worlds.

lavender

Record Breaker
I don't think anyone should be bumped because it's just too late. I really like Chen and I love her short but she still gave off this junior vibe especially in her long program so I would have awarded Ashley with the win but that's just me. I kind of knew that this would happened. Chen is still too inconsistent.

Is Tanith getting the national results wrong. Does she think Mariah won silver at Nationals.

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Kind of glad the Gabby didn't win here cause that might have put too much pressure on her going into worlds. The las,t few years those winning 4CC have not done their best at worlds. This way by coming second and knowing she could have done better might give her more of a fight comes worlds.

Sackie, I was feeling the same for Kaetlyn. Yes, I was gutted earlier today, thinking she may have gotten hurt while performing but to save your best for 4CC, would not be a good game plan, a month before Worlds.

Sackie

Medalist
I know Osmond4gold - they both have something more to aim for at worlds. And they both have proven that they are fighters. I am just so happy that Gabby didn't come 4th here. I remembering her being so dejected when she came 4th again in her 2nd GP event.

But still shaking my head as to what is going on with Alaine this year. It is almost like she has lost her fight! I really thought she would come on with a couple strong skates here at 4CC - sort of like what Marai did, knowing she was done for the season, and maybe have people questioning Canada's world team like they are doing with the USA ladies! But at this point Alaine is showing as a distant 3rd in Canada. And unfortunately that is carrying over into her PCS marks.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Sadly it seems because it follows US Nationals and Mirai usually doesn't make the World team she has no pressure on her so she does better then normal.

This is actually very true and unfortunately will fly above many fans heads. They look at 4CC and get a false impression of Mirai (of how she skates during the season and nationals. the opposite of how she skates here) and then start whining about the USFSA being unfair and Mirai being held down purposely because of politics

Despite the new rules they made this year, the choice of taking the top 3 at nationals to worlds is right, because none of the other ladies (including Mirai) made any case for otherwise. 4CC doesn't change how the rest of the season played out

Last edited:

sarama

Medalist
Zijun's clean, beautiful FS scores 116, Osmond's 4 fall FS, a painful to watch mess, scores 115???????

Kaetlyn was scored quite fairly. It's just that with some skaters the judges chose to give them absurdly low PCS: it was a very weird event in that regard... like a 5.00 in transitions for Alaine, a 5.75 in SS for Wakaba, Zijun not even averaging a 7.... What were they smoking:hpull:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I know Osmond4gold - they both have something more to aim for at worlds. And they both have proven that they are fighters. I am just so happy that Gabby didn't come 4th here. I remembering her being so dejected when she came 4th again in her 2nd GP event.

But still shaking my head as to what is going on with Alaine this year. It is almost like she has lost her fight! I really thought she would come on with a couple strong skates here at 4CC - sort of like what Marai did, knowing she was done for the season, and maybe have people questioning Canada's world team like they are doing with the USA ladies! But at this point Alaine is showing as a distant 3rd in Canada. And unfortunately that is carrying over into her PCS marks.

Agreed Sackie, but the judges were cruel to her today...I had Alaine as having a top 5 performance, but those lower than expected PCS were her undoing. Her SP has been the 'Achilles heel' this season. Skating in a lower ranked group, never helps. I am hoping that in reflection a new coach (other than Mad Michelle) might be in order to rebuild her "Halifax confidence", which is missing this season.

As for the other 2 Canadians, ...beyond a few of us "die hearts", who would of thought a year ago that Kaetlyn and Gabby would be highlighting the NBC telecast today, in their pre-view. They have come so far this season, so Maple Leaf proud of them and I am looking forward to these ladies securing 3 spots for Canadian women at the Olympics! They are becoming Stars of this sport! To these ladies, I say...

Giv' er!

A Newfoundland expression (as in Kaetlyn's home province) ...meaning, "Go For It!".

Last edited:

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
SO glad to see a wonderful performance by Mirai, a couple of 0's but no -s or URs, job well done and so happy she was able to show everyone that maybe the USFS got it wrong again by sending Mariah to Worlds and not Mirai. Anyway, always a pleasure to see this young lady compete as she continues to fight! Karen, oh Karen, such a lovely skater and talented youngster, we need to get this girl her own private jet as these long trips in coach seem to be her kryptonite. And Mariah, she continues to make silly mistakes that a top competitor just should not make and with this lackluster performance, I am really looking forward to her next competition to see how she responds.

Great job Ms. Daleman, this girl ROCKS (and is such a personality)!!

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Just catching up.
Mariah, I still think she skates a little juniorish. East of Eden requires a lot from a skater and I don't think she pulls it off.
Karen, really don't know what to say. Was nationals just a fluke? Lets see how she does at worlds.
Mirai, Lovely program and so happy that she medaled and a little slap on the face to the USFSA. But, I must say she is so disengaged when she skates. There were points in her program where I felt as if I was watching the 6 minute warm-up. She seems to look down at the ice a lot. She doesn't perform. I know she may be nervous but who isn't? Looking out into the audience is part of the overall performance. IIRC she used to be more engaged with audience and it is since she had this rough patch that she has lost that connection.

Congratulations to the medalists. Cannot wait until worlds and see how that pans out. :popcorn:
:bow:**Oh Miss Wagner please have two "skates of your life"!!! **:bow:

FlattFan

Match Penalty

4CC is a real competition with real monetary prize. What no pressure are you talking about? So she's just doing practice when her world standing and sb standing is on the line and the chance of getting GP invite is on the line? You are clearly confused if you think there is no pressure

FlattFan

Match Penalty
This is actually very true and unfortunately will fly above many fans heads. They look at 4CC and get a false impression of Mirai (of how she skates during the season and nationals. the opposite of how she skates here) and then start whining about the USFSA being unfair and Mirai being held down purposely because of politics

Despite the new rules they made this year, the choice of taking the top 3 at nationals to worlds is right, because none of the other ladies (including Mirai) made any case for otherwise. 4CC doesn't change how the rest of the season played out

Another clueless post.