2017 Four Continents Ladies FS | Page 66 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Ladies FS

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What if Julia learns to tano with her leg up? Would that be worth a GOE :biggrin:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Wakaba is so inconsistent. Never seen her doing well internationally up to her "potential".
This is why it's shocking to see her getting so much love over Marin. Marin should have 10 points PCS advantage over Wakaba.

Mai is establishing herself as #2. Maybe #1 if she's clean at World. They like to back big jumper.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
The US Champ should go, regardless of anything else she did. She has earned that right.

Mariah has a much shakier case.

I thought that Karen has basically guaranteed her Worlds call-up by winning Nationals? There's change of rule regarding that so National Champion don't automatically get that spot but it's only from next season.

icellist

On the Ice
k, so who agrees that Gabby made enough mistakes in the FS so that Mirai should've won bronze?

just me? :scard7:

Figure 8's

On the Ice
It amazes me that the same people who whined and cried for days about Ashley bumping Mirai for the Olympics and Worlds now want Mirai to bumped Karen, who was the Gold Medalist!! Talk about Hypocrites! Who ever wins at Nationals should go period! Marai had her chance at Nationals and blew it. But I also believe that Mirai should have gone to the Olympics instead of Ashley. Why have Nationals if it counts for nothing.

Last edited:

composer

On the Ice
It amazes me that the same people who whined and cried for days about Ashley bumping Marai for the Olympics and Worlds now want Marai to bumped Karen, who was the Gold Medalist!! Talk about Hypocrites! Who ever wins at Nationals should go period! Marai had her chance at Nationals and blew it.

But that's exactly he problem isn't it? Why does Mirai have to catch the short end of the stick both times?

kresslia

Medalist
Which was the most un-hyped, low-key winner of 4CC in the past few years? Mai or Polina?
Did anyone predict Mai for the podium or for gold? :luv17: Anyway, this 4CC gold is hers to keep forever.
I predicted her for gold in the predictions thread.

Kaetlyn never seems to live up to her potential, which is why I went for Mai. Mai is unexciting but reliable for a good skate. I didn't foresee Kaetlyn dropping this far tho.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I found the video! Thank you Nico Ichi:thank:

Thanks for posting the video of the medal ceremony.

I cried ;) :sad4: :laugh: my way through it.
So happy for Mirai :luv17: and Mai, and for Gabby too.
Must have felt great to stand on the podium esp. in the Olympic venue :dance2:. I'm sure all three will find the memories inspiring throughout their training over the next year.

A bit of irony is that the ladies received their medals here from Pat St. Peter, now of the ISU, who was the president of USFS when Ashley was selected for Sochi.
Not that anything in the video gave any clue of that history. Mirai was all smiles -- lovely and gracious.

The ISU recap of the Ladies FS is here:

The quote below from Mirai also made me cry. So proud of her :ghug:.
“Last year I won the silver medal, but I think this year the bronze means more to me. The performance I was able to put out tonight was just amazing. It felt magical. These are the moments we work so hard for every day. For it to come to fruition has been very gratifying”, Nagasu shared.

I thought that Karen has basically guaranteed her Worlds call-up by winning Nationals? There's change of rule regarding that so National Champion don't automatically get that spot but it's only from next season.

Winning Nats did not guarantee Karen a Worlds slot.
The new rule already was in effect for 2017 Nats/Worlds.
That said, USFS per usual already made the announcement of the World team at Nats, so it is a done deal: Karen, Ashley, and Mariah -- with Mirai as first alternate.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai was behind Karen after the SP by less than a point, and she had the opportunity to win the whole thing. She came out and landed the first combination, fully rotated, with no problem, then fell on the lutz, and that was it for her. She let the performance go, and reaped 4 carrots on her way to a 4th place finish. She let the mistake get to her and ruin the rest of her program.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Oh boy, I guess a loss of concentration. These ladies can not skate like this. Maybe a Russian sweep at Worlds. :palmf:

So you see Sotskova on the podium?!

I am convinced that Canadian girls will skate better there, that was not the event for which they aimed with their highest form but that LP issue for Osmond is disturbing for sure.

Well this is rather bold, it would take some ultra bombing from the rest to place Maria on the podium.

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but anyone know what the big bandage was on mirai's back? at first i thought it was tan lines!

skatinggold

On the Ice
That's what Mirai get for leaving Frank. She will never get the political support she needed. Too bad Mirai didn't skate the way she should when it counted at US Nationals. Stop the negative energy and bring positive energy to our US ladies at Worlds. The team is already decided and focus on that. We can't predict how Mirai is going to do at Worlds, she is pretty unreliable too like the two other ladies.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Happy for Mai. Her jumps are actually pretty to look at. She needs to be packaged better next year, skate to somewhat heavier music to get rid of the junior look. She can be a Satoko with better jumps.

Karen needs to have a good jumping coach, because she has good height, distance and air position in jumps, but just cannot land clean. She needs to reduce the size of her jumps. She has gorgeous spins, speed, edge but she cannot deliver.

Zijun skated almost clean but still finished 7th. It is frustrating to see even a clean program didn't get her very far. She just turned 20 and will probably stay till 2022. Someone needs to coach her to have a stronger presence on ice, and designs a program to garner points. She seems to very fragile.

Dabin definitely had some help with skating on home ice. But she did move some big elements into the second half to get more points.

Sackie

Medalist
Before we start writing Kaetlyn's performance off here let's not forget Gold's performance from last year. Heading into 4CC everyone was saying it was Gold's to lose and she needed a win to be taken seriously at worlds. Well she didn't win and like Kaetlyn didn't even medal, yet she went on to win the short at worlds and end up 4th overall.
And at least with Gabby winning the short and getting a medal here maybe she will be seen as fighting for a top 6 placement come worlds.

lappo

Final Flight
Yes, I'm not a dancer but I always imagine it having a regal ballet air to it. Beyond the frequency rule, I think it should be treated like a layback position, in that there are good ones and bad ones and they should be rewarded accordingly. Otherwise you're just rewarding difficulty for difficulty's sake.

On the tano/rippon issue...I always found it a beautiful position to enhance particular strong moments of music; now with all those arm variations I feel like there is no connection any more with the music, so this is why I'm not particularly pleased with it. Under the current rule they are something most of the skaters are willing to put in a program... but then judges should be more accurate to sort the beautiful ones from the ugly ones!