2017 Four Continents Ladies FS | Page 70 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Ladies FS

During Caroline Zhang's free skate, Tara said, "wow! Look at that triple loop-triple loop! That's really hard to do, especially in the middle of the program. *awaits compliments about her own triple loops*"

*silence from Johnny and Terry*.

I know, I kwow! Terry, especially, is usually quick to follow the cue. :laugh:

brightphoton

Medalist
I don't think so. The network probably is the owner of all the footage and commentay from previous nationals. Unless they have to buy it from ABC.

Hmm, beats me. If the marketing department asked me, I'd tell them to plaster Michelle's face and Lyra Angelica spiral all over the figure skating commercials. Maybe a clip of Michelle's East of Eden to show what Miriah is up against.

jaylee

Medalist
Could be worse. The young Sasha Cohen and the young Carolina Kostner grew into the old Sasha and Carolina. Between them they have two Olympic medals and nine Worlds medals. :)

And they left a lot of medals on the table on the way (and in Kostner's case, won a few medals that she didn't really deserve).

Kaetlyn's career is not necessarily going to have the success of Kostner's and Cohen's if she keeps this up.

Kostner had two Olympic nightmares before she finally won an Olympic medal, and that was with a major overhaul of her jump strategy (removing both flip and lutz and starting with the very basics in order to learn how to consistently skate cleanly).

I almost feel like she has too much power and it's difficult for her to control. There was one jump in the FS where she looked like she had it and then abruptly fell, that's more unusual to see from a skater. It could also be stamina too, because she tends to always mess up on jumps in the second half. As a skater myself, it really is that much harder to do jumps that come later on. You get tired, the legs and body feel different and this can trigger pops from exhaustion and not being ready, instead of pops from nerves.

Well--every skater needs to understand their abilities, limits and their stamina, and balance their program accordingly in order to maximize their base value + possible GOEs and minimize risk. Yes, Kaetlyn does have powerful jumps, and those are difficult to control. I agree that it could be more of a stamina issue since she makes mistakes on easier jumps later on in the program. Or it could be nerves, or lack of focus. Or a combination of all of them. Perfection is a tall order, but it seems like no matter how many times it seems as if she's turned the corner, she takes a step back and these multi-fall performances come back. It's not a good reputation to have, or to shake. If/when she finally delivers, will she be rewarded? I seem to recall that Cynthia Phaneuf, after a career of inconsistency, finally skated well at 2010 Worlds, and just barely lost a medal to a skater who had a better season.

yude

Record Breaker
Does anyone know what's going on with Li Zijun? She was so devastated immediately after the FS. I don't think I've ever seen her so upset. IMO she was underscored, her FS was pretty decent, especially compared to what many others put out at this specific competition. She was crying even before the scores though. Is she injured? Also, where is Mishin? I feel so sad for her. She is really special and has the goods to move up in the rankings, but she can't ever seem to put it all together.

I'm sorry if this has been already posted but she had an accident in 6 minutes warm up and was so nervous before the performance. https://twitter.com/akikonbu1122/status/832973893522518016
According to the Japanese commentators, she had a fall on jump and hit her head on the ice (if I remember correctly). Someone understands Chinese might translate her comments.

Congratulations to all the medalists!!

From Kaetlyn's twitter
https://twitter.com/kaetlyn_23/status/832950018906681344
Today was not my day. But I made it through. I learned from it. I am still healthy. And I will be back better than ever at Worlds!

I'm glad she is healthy! Her action after finishing the performance was classy, I hope she'll skate better at Worlds :)

Last edited:

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I don't like the committee's either, but i've accepted that they are a necessary evil, especially where the situation isn't black and white.

Actually, if you go by National results, then the situation is exactly black and white.

b-man

Final Flight
Ouch! Have we stooped to hair shaming? THATS gonna leave a mark on his self esteem! :console: (I am coming up with all sorts of names for the local NBC affiliate that replaced figure skating today for boys dribbling in their shorts....and the NBC network that geoblocks me from watching over the web. How can I attack JW's comments if I cant hear them?)

I got basketball as well instead of scheduled Ladies FS.

skatespin

On the Ice
Actually, if you go by National results, then the situation is exactly black and white.

You can't just go by nationals results, because the situation is not black and white.

Nationals isn't the only test. Regionals and sectionals work that way with the black and white top four move on and it makes sense for that particular circuit of skaters, but for international competitions it doesn't work that way and it's probably best that it doesn't.

skatespin

On the Ice
I'm sorry if this has been already posted but she had an accident in 6 minutes warm up and was so nervous before the performance. https://twitter.com/akikonbu1122/status/832973893522518016
According to the Japanese commentators, she had a fall on jump and hit her head on the ice (if I remember correctly). Someone understands Chinese might translate her comments.

Congratulations to all the medalists!!

From Kaetlyn's twitter

I'm glad she is healthy! Her action after finishing the performance was classy, I hope she'll skate better at Worlds :)

Oh how unfortunate for Li Zijun, I hope she's okay. She should be proud of herself though, she held it together and that was one of the cleaner long programs that i've seen her do this season.

Last edited:

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
You can't just go by nationals results, because the situation is not black and white.

It absolutely can be black and white, as you yourself showed. It probably would be better for everybody to keep it that way than to be too cute overthinking things.

skatespin

On the Ice
It absolutely can be black and white, as you yourself showed. It probably would be better for everybody to keep it that way than to be too cute overthinking things.

With that logic Ashley Wagner wouldn't have gone to the 2014 Olympics. Vincent would go to 2017 world's instead of Jason. Alexa Scimeca and Chris Knierim wouldn't go to 2017 worlds etc.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Does anyone know what's going on with Li Zijun? She was so devastated immediately after the FS. I don't think I've ever seen her so upset. IMO she was underscored, her FS was pretty decent, especially compared to what many others put out at this specific competition. She was crying even before the scores though. Is she injured? Also, where is Mishin? I feel so sad for her. She is really special and has the goods to move up in the rankings, but she can't ever seem to put it all together.

On the Japanese broadcast they said she skipped morning practice because she wasn't feeling well, but they never specified the ailment.

EDIT: better explanation in yude's post.

- - - Updated - - -

With that logic Ashley Wagner wouldn't have gone to the 2014 Olympics. Vincent would go to 2017 world's instead of Jason. Alexa Scimeca and Chris Knierim wouldn't go to 2017 worlds etc.

Who's to say that those decisions produced the optimal results?

Last edited:

skatespin

On the Ice
On the Japanese broadcast they said she skipped morning practice because she wasn't feeling well, but they never specified the ailment.

- - - Updated - - -

Who's to say that those decisions produced the optimal results?

I'm waiting to see how Jason does in the FS, before I have my full opinion on that, it seems like he may not be fully recovered. But other than that, the other choices were ultimately the logical decisions when taking the skater's body of work into account. And I say that as someone who supported Mirai more than Ashley in 2014 and I was crushed and mad for her. But she then went on to four continents that year and didn't do well.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Would love to hear Carl Spackler's commentary on Mai Mihara's free skate.

"Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former cripple, now, about to become the Four Continents champion..."

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Agreed Sackie, but the judges were cruel to her today...I had Alaine as having a top 5 performance, but those lower than expected PCS were her undoing. Her SP has been the 'Achilles heel' this season. Skating in a lower ranked group, never helps. I am hoping that in reflection a new coach (other than Mad Michelle) might be in order to rebuild her "Halifax confidence", which is missing this season.

As for the other 2 Canadians, ...beyond a few of us "die hearts", who would of thought a year ago that Kaetlyn and Gabby would be highlighting the NBC telecast today, in their pre-view. They have come so far this season, so Maple Leaf proud of them and I am looking forward to these ladies securing 3 spots for Canadian women at the Olympics! They are becoming Stars of this sport! To these ladies, I say...

Giv' er!

A Newfoundland expression (as in Kaetlyn's home province) ...meaning, "Go For It!".

I would be very shocked if Canada pulls off three spots. Getting both girls essentially to skate clean is unlikely especially Osmond in the freeskate. The odds are with four performances one of them will be bad ie 4CC. I am confident that even if Ashley slips to fourth or fifth an american lady will still be in 7th or 8th at least.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
^^ yes, so you have said all season, Skater Boy, nothing new here. I guess we will see in Helsinki. And just as a reminder, this is a re-cap of the season to date, in terms of best international scores;

1 229.71 Evgenia MEDVEDEVA RUS ISU European Championships 2017 27.01.2017
2 218.33 Satoko MIYAHARA JPN ISU Grand Prix Final 2016/17 10.12.2016
3 216.47 Anna POGORILAYA RUS ISU Grand Prix Final 2016/17 10.12.2016
4 212.45 Kaetlyn OSMOND CAN ISU Grand Prix Final 2016/17 10.12.2016
5 210.52 Carolina KOSTNER ITA ISU European Championships 2017 27.01.2017
6 207.43 Alina ZAGITOVA RUS ISU Junior Grand Prix Final 2016/17 09.12.2016
7 205.90 Elena RADIONOVA RUS ISU GP Audi Cup of China 2016 19.11.2016
8 200.85 Mai MIHARA JPN ISU Four Continents Championships 2017 18.02.2017
9 200.35 Maria SOTSKOVA RUS ISU GP Trophee de France 2016 12.11.2016
10 196.91 Gabrielle DALEMAN CAN ISU Four Continents Championships 2017 18.02.2017
11 196.44 Ashley WAGNER USA ISU GP 2016 Progressive Skate America 22.10.2016
12 194.95 Mirai NAGASU USA ISU Four Continents Championships 2017 18.02.2017
13 194.57 Anastasiia GUBANOVA RUS ISU JGP Pokal d. Blauen Schwerter 2016 08.10.2016
14 194.48 Wakaba HIGUCHI JPN ISU GP Trophee de France 2016 12.11.2016
15 194.24 Rika KIHIRA JPN ISU JGP Ljubljana Cup 2016 24.09.2016
16 194.02 Polina TSURSKAYA RUS ISU JGP Tallinn Cup 2016 30.09.2016
17 192.57 Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA RUS ISU GP Audi Cup of China 2016 19.11.2016
18 191.59 Mariah BELL USA ISU GP 2016 Progressive Skate America 22.10.2016

It should also be noted, that top scores for Kaetlyn, Gabby and Mirai, were achieved outside of home soil. "Homeflation" as we know, can at times, benefit a skater from that country. So you can say, Skater Boy, that Canada is not likely to get 3 over the US, but that stats to date speak otherwise.

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Would love to hear Carl Spackler's commentary on Mai Mihara's free skate.

"Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former cripple, now, about to become the Four Continents champion..."

That's the stuff the sports movies are made of.....only a year ago, the doctors said she would never be able to walk again. She proved them wrong and became, *fanfare* OLYMPIC Champion. What a story.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
From Kaetlyn's twitter

Thanks yude!

It's not about never falling, it's about how you recover after falling that counts. A Class Act indeed and an example to others!

You cannot fake humility and sincerity. Many skaters can learn from her example, especially in the KnC. Kaetlyn earned my complete RESPECT, after the Sal. As much pain and disappointment she was feeling in a moment. she remained committed to her program, with a smile and fighting the tears, she showed all of us that she has, eternal grace.

Last edited: