2017 Four Continents Ladies FS | Page 71 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Ladies FS

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Plus, his pants were too tight. How dare a tight-pants silly-hair fellow like that dare to criticize Mirai. :laugh:

He criticized Mirai? How dare that arrogent self centered tight pants silly guy do that? Get a rope and tie him to the zamboni and drag him around the rink! Keel haul him! Draw and quarter him! Hair shame him! Bamboo slivers under his manicured nails!
THEN we will start to torture him! :devil:

stella luna

Final Flight
I think you have a point. Never realized that. You can't erase history, but you can edit it out, I guess.

Speaking of Johnnie and Tara, did anyone besides me think that it was an awkward moment when Tara mentioned that living legend Patrick Chan won nine -- count 'em, nine! -- national championships. A silence followed, into which I could not help interposing, "I wonder if any American has ever won nine U.S. championships?"

I really do think that the NBC crew has a rule never to mention the name of Michelle Kwan, even at U.S. Nationals coverage, an event that she dominated for a decade. (Tara did manage to work in the fact that she (Tara) won the U.S. title, somewhat unexpectedly, in 1997, so she could appreciate the pressure that Karen Chen probably feels.)

stella luna

Final Flight
I thought another judging panel might have found a way to give gold to Gabby, because of the skating quality (love that LP). But maybe things are changing for the ladies, and it's all about the jumps.

I just saw the NBC United States TV coverage, with Tara, Johnie and Tanith commentating. They showed Mai, Mirai, Karen, Miriah, Elizabeth, Gabby and Kaetlyn. Here's what I got out of it: land your jumps (Mai and Mirai), win a medal. Nothing else counts.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Thanks yude!

It's not about never falling, it's about how you recover after falling that counts. A Class act indeed and an example to others!

Despite my skepticism, I really hope Kaetlyn shows the world she has it. In fact, I am cheering for her and she is my fave right night along with Evgenia as skaters. I am sorry I am tired of Kostner though she is a beautiful skater and I don't like her sp at all. I also find she is technically lacking (a little too low imho) this year. I really like also Gabby and I think it would be pleasantly surprised if these two ladies beat the Americans but it is 3 against 2 and Wagner has world clout with a silver. I do think if both Gabby and Kaetlyn beat all the Americans, Canada has an excellent shot at 3 spots. Now is that possible? Can they beat them all?

chloepoco

Medalist
I thought another judging panel might have found a way to give gold to Gabby, because of the skating quality (love that LP). But maybe things are changing for the ladies, and it's all about the jumps.

You need more than just skating quality to win gold. For this event, in the FS, Mai had the jumps and skating quality over Gabby. She earned her gold medal.

jaylee

Medalist
You need more than just skating quality to win gold. For this event, in the FS, Mai had the jumps and skating quality over Gabby. She earned her gold medal.

I don't know if I agree with Mai having the skating quality over Gabby. Mai had the better jumps and spins. She has charm but I found her presentation and interpretation very spotty with plenty of sloppy or dead moments. It doesn't help that I found her music cuts to be a mess.

I found Gabby's program and choreography and performance quality to be superior to Mai's. But she made too many technical errors, so Mai won. I don't have a huge problem with the outcome, but don't agree that Mai has the skating quality over Gabby--that's where she needs to improve.

chloepoco

Medalist
I don't know if I agree with Mai having the skating quality over Gabby. Mai had the better jumps and spins. She has charm but I found her presentation and interpretation very spotty with plenty of sloppy or dead moments. It doesn't help that I found her music cuts to be a mess.

I found Gabby's program and choreography and performance quality to be superior to Mai's. But she made too many technical errors, so Mai won. I don't have a huge problem with the outcome, but don't agree that Mai has the skating quality over Gabby--that's where she needs to improve.

You're right; I didn't explain myself correctly. What I should have said is the skating quality she displayed, together with her jumps, was enough to earn gold. I don't think Gabby should have won just because she has better skating quality over Mai, which is what I took the original poster to be saying.

stella luna

Final Flight
That's not what I said at all ... I said another judging panel may have favored Gabby's skating quality, and she could have gotten gold. Please don't put words into my mouth. And Gabby did win the free skate, after all.

In the past there have been many times panels have held up skating quality over jumps.

You're right; I didn't explain myself correctly. What I should have said is the skating quality she displayed, together with her jumps, was enough to earn gold. I don't think Gabby should have won just because she has better skating quality over Mai, which is what I took the original poster to be saying.

stella luna

Final Flight
I'm with you on this one ... It's a shame Gabby had those errors. I would have liked to seen her get gold.

chloepoco

Medalist
That's not what I said at all ... I said another judging panel may have favored Gabby's skating quality, and she could have gotten gold. Please don't put words into my mouth. And Gabby did win the free skate, after all.

In the past there have been many times panels have held up skating quality over jumps.

I'm not putting words in your mouth. I said that's how I took what you said. BTW, Gabby did not win the free skate; she came in 3rd.

stella luna

Final Flight
Well, you were wrong. I do think Mai lacks some maturity in her skating, but she's very young. Had Gabby skated without error, I think she would have deserved to win, but she didn't.

My mistake on the free skate; I thought that's what they said when Gabby's score was announced.

I'm not putting words in your mouth. I said that's how I took what you said. BTW, Gabby did not win the free skate; she came in 3rd.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Mai is so fresh-faced and charming, and she jumps really cleanly and effortlessly. I think this year's programmes and presentation are appropriate for her age and development. She is 17, but probably more like a 15/16-year-old psychosocially because of her recent illness. In some ways her "juniorishness" is a strength. A schoolgirl should not try to be a sex kitten if that's not who she is.

I just hope they don't make the same mistake with her that they did with Kanako Murakami, who was just like Mai in her senior debut year - fresh-faced, exciting, having lots of fun. But as soon as she had some success, they were putting pressure on her to "skate like an adult [woman]" (in her own words) and she never recovered that youthful joy that really came across in her skating. I don't think heavier music is necessary to be successful in seniors. Something light-hearted and fun would work just as well. There are many classical pieces (e.g., The Magic Flute or The Marriage of Figaro) that would be perfect for her as well as many other genres. Now that she's won an ISU Championship, maybe she'll have the funds to use a highly regarded choreographer for the Olympic Season. Go Mai!

Last edited:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I have to say I'm a Mirai fan, however I do not feel she should be put on the World team. The team was announced and it would, IMO, be unfair to change the team now. What USFS does in the future is another story...I'm kind of with Mathman on the go with the top 3 if there are 3 spots.

Kaetlyn didn't fall 4 times. She was penalized for the third fall with an additional 1 point deduction. I think the rule just went into effect for senior level singles skaters. From what I remember, the rule will impact pairs and ice dance next year. Here is a link explaining the penalty: http://www.usfsa.org/content/TN 184 Implementation of ISU Communications 2014 and 2019.pdf

In looking at the info again, I realize that it only pertains to Senior level Singles skaters. The info for Pairs/Ice Dance is about changes to program length.

In the Sprint Center I saw Michelle Kwan in all the "look back" videos of Nationals champions. It seems that she was edited out of the tv coverage. If anyone in the broadcast booth had mentioned Maribel Vinson Owen when they were talking about Patrick Chan's 9 wins, it might have led to mentioning Frank Carroll and then she whose name must not be mentioned in Tara's presence - Michelle Kwan.

Congratulations to the podium at 4CC's! I hope the tape on Mirai's back does not indicate an injury.

Last edited:
what did they say?? i was curious but maybe i shouldnt be :slink:

They said that her presentation lacked maturity. Tara was especially critical of her Cinderella music. They (Tara and Johnny) hoped that Mai would tkae on more serious music and thremes in the future.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
^^ yes, so you have said all season, Skater Boy, nothing new here. I guess we will see in Helsinki. And just as a reminder, this is a re-cap of the season to date, in terms of best international scores;

1 229.71 Evgenia MEDVEDEVA RUS ISU European Championships 2017 27.01.2017
2 218.33 Satoko MIYAHARA JPN ISU Grand Prix Final 2016/17 10.12.2016
3 216.47 Anna POGORILAYA RUS ISU Grand Prix Final 2016/17 10.12.2016
4 212.45 Kaetlyn OSMOND CAN ISU Grand Prix Final 2016/17 10.12.2016
5 210.52 Carolina KOSTNER ITA ISU European Championships 2017 27.01.2017
6 207.43 Alina ZAGITOVA RUS ISU Junior Grand Prix Final 2016/17 09.12.2016
7 205.90 Elena RADIONOVA RUS ISU GP Audi Cup of China 2016 19.11.2016
8 200.85 Mai MIHARA JPN ISU Four Continents Championships 2017 18.02.2017
9 200.35 Maria SOTSKOVA RUS ISU GP Trophee de France 2016 12.11.2016
10 196.91 Gabrielle DALEMAN CAN ISU Four Continents Championships 2017 18.02.2017
11 196.44 Ashley WAGNER USA ISU GP 2016 Progressive Skate America 22.10.2016
12 194.95 Mirai NAGASU USA ISU Four Continents Championships 2017 18.02.2017
13 194.57 Anastasiia GUBANOVA RUS ISU JGP Pokal d. Blauen Schwerter 2016 08.10.2016
14 194.48 Wakaba HIGUCHI JPN ISU GP Trophee de France 2016 12.11.2016
15 194.24 Rika KIHIRA JPN ISU JGP Ljubljana Cup 2016 24.09.2016
16 194.02 Polina TSURSKAYA RUS ISU JGP Tallinn Cup 2016 30.09.2016
17 192.57 Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA RUS ISU GP Audi Cup of China 2016 19.11.2016
18 191.59 Mariah BELL USA ISU GP 2016 Progressive Skate America 22.10.2016

It should also be noted, that top scores for Kaetlyn, Gabby and Mirai, were achieved outside of home soil. "Homeflation" as we know, can at times, benefit a skater from that country.

As Lindsey Buckingham, from one of favs of all time (Fleetwood Mac), would sing; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCRNDQNjCK4

And of course not every girl on that list will be at worlds, like Alina and Elena.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk