Who is retiring /might retire after 2018 ? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Who is retiring /might retire after 2018 ?

musicfan80

Medalist
But it is not clear (and perhaps not clear even to Max himself at this stage of the game) whether he will step away from skating after the Olympic season.

Max is in a difficult position along with all the 20 something year old men from the US...... He seems to be a very active person and I think his priorities will change if he doesn't make the team next year.

I would bet money that next season is Max Aaron's last season. Same goes with Grant Hochstein, Ross Miner, Alex Johnson, Sean Rabbitt, and Tim Dolensky. I don't know about Jason Brown. I could easily see him continuing for a couple more seasons. We also don't really know anything about what will happen with Joshua Farris.

This summer may be one of the most interesting summers ever in U.S. men's figure skating.........

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Max Aaron? Did they mention anything about their plans post PC? :think:

Max is in a difficult position along with all the 20 something year old men from the US. ...

I would bet money that next season is Max Aaron's last season. Same goes with Grant Hochstein, Ross Miner, Alex Johnson, Sean Rabbitt, and Tim Dolensky. ...

I was answering shiro's question as to what Max himself has said.

It would not surprise me if Max moves on after the Olympic season.
But at this point, we all are only speculating.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
About Denis Ten : I never saw any interviews of him hinting anything, but even without them, I feel like he will. I definitely see him become involved with sports in his country, or even an IOC member. I think Yuna expressed the desire to become one too ?

That was years ago and I hope she changes her mind about that, but we'll see after PyeongChang. I think she is too good for IOC.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That was years ago and I hope she changes her mind about that, but we'll see after PyeongChang. I think she is too good for IOC.

The problem is that if good people don't want to serve on the IOC (for obvious reasons), then it will never get any better.

SkaterX

On the Ice
I think Yulia will announce her retirement soon. Her injuries sound pretty serious and there's so much competition.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Thanks for answer. It would be a shame and a loss for the sport, he is so talented ... but only he knows what's best for him.

Depends whether you think all these quads has improved the sport; I don't think we can assume quadsters like Chen have necessarily helped the sport.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think if Max Aaron misss the olympics we may see him retire and if Jason Brown doesn't see a lot ofhope with the quad adn being competitive he willprobably go off into the susnet with his man bun and all. He has really maxed out his points almost without a quad. I agree several Russian ladies will retire. Julia due to injuries. Sotnikova, Liza T just because they can't compete. If Anna P wins an olympic medal I can't see her staying on

asiacheetah

On the Ice
I don't know if this is his plan or not, but I can't get invested in a skater who does that. Why should I care about someone who's here today, gone tomorrow?

It's one of the reason why I can't get behind him. Every time I see someone comment about how much potential he has to fully develop as a skater, I just roll my eyes because judging by how his team is approaching competition, it's obvious they are not fully developing the artistic side at all and just concentrating on stacking the TECH points. So I anticipate yet another empty LP next year packed with lots of Quads and not much else. I saw him live in WTT and his skate is as empty as it looks on air as it is in person. People might be impressed with all his quads, but he is JUST NOT ENJOYABLE to watch to me. It was interesting to see who cheered for him and who wants more. Half the arena gave him a standing ovation after his skate and the other half stayed in their seats and clapped politely. Guess which group I fell under.

Last edited:

asiacheetah

On the Ice
Well, gee, how long is long enough? Really, it has been only fairly recently that elite skaters have had the opportunity to earn money while remaining Olympic-eligible.
Few could afford to stay in beyond one quad; it was rare to see skaters in their 20s (and some were criticized for "not moving on and giving younger ones a chance").

In the case of Nathan, I'm hoping for one more great year, with health intact. And then for him to do whatever else in life that he wishes.

Maybe that's the case for female athletes. I was always under the impression that the Men's field stay around for more than one Olympic cycle or is that in days of old? I'm thinking Plushenko, Takahashi, Patrick Chan, Adam Rippon, Johnny Weir, Yuzuru, Jason Brown. They've all stuck around for 2 or more Olympic cycles and is one of the reason why they are beloved by many. It's also no surprise that their earlier efforts are eclipsed by the later years as they fully develop as artists. I didn't find Plushenko enjoyable to watch at all during his first Olympics, but he developed with his own flair by the time he won OGM. Or did these athletes stick around because they didn't get their OGM on their first attempt (except Hanyu) or at all.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Has Caroline Zhang announced her intentions about continuing her career? Isn't she around the same age as Ashley and Mirai?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Put Duhamel/Radford on the list of planning to retire. I just saw an announcement that he was diagnosed after Worlds with a herniated disc; he was quoted as saying that he needs to get/stay healthy for 10 more months and then that will be it for their skating. He will continue to get treatment while they do SOI.

here is the article.. i am so devastated... and i hope the mean people who said they just didn't have motivation or were "faking injuries" on this same board will bite their snake tongues next time....

Eric has a serious injury.

asiacheetah

On the Ice
I love Nathan, but his PCS are already way too high, considering 85% of his programs are: go to one side of the rink, jump, go the other side of the rink, jump, beautiful but random balletic arm movement, repeat.
Poor kid, he is doing 7623 quads per program and changing layouts constantly, so he is super justified, but giving him high PCS would be disrespectful toward those who at least try to have a program and perform it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he retires soon, still it would be a pleasure to see him mature as a skater, and I would miss those beautiful quads!

I totally agree. I found myself actually checking the program clock time during WTT to see when he did anything other than skate to one end, jump, skate to the other end, jump. Btw, it was 1:30 seconds before he did anything else.

asiacheetah

On the Ice
Hao Zhang is 32. Half a year younger than Aliona Savchenko, 33.

They are amazing. And both look in better shape than a good many athletes half their age.

Yuko Kavaguti is 35.

RESPECT!

Even though the JSF treated Kavaguti like crap for skating for Russia, I kind of hope she retires and come back to Japan to help their Pairs program. They need all the help they can get.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I would bet money that next season is Max Aaron's last season. Same goes with Grant Hochstein, Ross Miner, Alex Johnson, Sean Rabbitt, and Tim Dolensky. I don't know about Jason Brown. I could easily see him continuing for a couple more seasons. We also don't really know anything about what will happen with Joshua Farris.

This summer may be one of the most interesting summers ever in U.S. men's figure skating.........

IDK about Tim, he might hang in there for another 4 years, since he's the youngest of the bunch you mentioned.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Grant has announced that next year will be his final season.

http://figureskatersonline.com/granthochstein/site/journal/

"I’m looking forward to going home and getting back to work for next season. It is important to me, not only because it is the Olympic season, but because it is my final season. I’m going to approach this year by skating from the heart and skating because it is what I love to do."

A grounded young man with a great attitude :clap: Not to mention some great skates over the years.....

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I think Adam Rippon, Roberta Rodeghiero, Chafik Besseghier, Sergei Voronov, Takahito Mura in singles will retire after 2018 Olympics or Worlds. I wish they participate in the Olympics and retire.

silverskates

Spectator
For men, out of the current group of (multi-time!) world gold medalists, I think Javier and Patrick will retire after 2018. Yuzuru -- maybe, depending on how it goes next year. But it just struck me that this will be the last year they'll all be competing together. :sad21: The surge of quads this past year has given me newfound respect for them for doing balanced programs that highlight both artistry AND big jumps. Even though they all want to win, it's clear from their skating that they care about much more than just getting points, and that's what makes them a joy to watch.

ralucutzagy

Final Flight
Hao Zhang is 32. Half a year younger than Aliona Savchenko, 33.

They are amazing. And both look in better shape than a good many athletes half their age.

Yuko Kavaguti is 35.

It seems that Hao is 32 from a while now :biggrin:. From what I understood (a guy from my Eurosport RO said it in a comment) the Chinese Fed wasn't so clear about his age :biggrin: but, yes, I doesn't matter so much, I was just curious.

Last edited: