Who is retiring /might retire after 2018 ? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Who is retiring /might retire after 2018 ?

Weathergal

Medalist
Some Ladies and Dance skaters I think might retire after 2018 (if they do, I'm really going to miss a lot of them!):

Ladies
Mae Berenice Miete
Joshi Helgesson
Ashley Wagner
Mirai Nagasu
Courtney Hicks
Gracie Gold
Yulia Lipnitskaia - assuming she doesn't retire sooner because of injury - although I'm hoping that I'm wrong and she comes back strong for 2018 or 2022 or just for whatever she wants to come back for
Alena Leonova
Serafima Sakhanovich
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
Rika Hongo
Zijun Li
Carolina Kostner

Dance
Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir - although I could see them staying until Worlds 2020 if held in Canada, especially since they seem to be enjoying being back so much and in good health
Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje - I'm hoping that they stick around because I enjoy their skating so much, and I could also see them waiting to 2020 for Canadian Worlds, but I don't know...
Maia Shibutani / Alex Shibutani
Madison Chock / Evan Bates
Madison Hubbell / Zachary Donohue
Ekaterina Bobrova / Dmitri Soloviev
Anna Cappellini / Luca Lanotte
Isabelle Tobias / Ilia Tkachenko
Alisa Agafonova / Alpar Ucar

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I think Roberta Rodeghiero might want to retire. (With Karolina, C/L and M/H, half of italian team might retire :eek: ) And my love Michal Brezina. Much more probable than my other love, Hanee, I'd say.

Last edited:

desertskates

Medalist
I think Roberta Rodeghiero might want to retire. (With Karolina, C/L and M/H, half of italian team might retire :eek: ) And my love Michal Brezina. Much more probable than my other love, Hanee, I'd say.

I'll really miss Michal Brezina :( And as far as I know, the Czech Republic doesn't really have a young man waiting in the wings to be the new #1 yet. But with Tomas Verner's coaching, I'm sure we'll see some talented Czech men soon!

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Are any of the US dance teams retiring after 2018? There's quite a logjam behind them.
No one knows. I'm guessing we won't find out until after the Olympics.

Madison Chock / Evan Bates

I read on another post that Evan had stated that he was planning to continue after the Olympics. Don't take my word for it as I didn't read the original source. I assumed it came out of Chock & Bates's post-Worlds interview?

The young teams are coming now whether or not the top teams retire. The climb will be tougher if the current teams stay in; but four years is enough time to make that climb if you are good enough & competitive.

tennisguy

Rinkside
I'm not ready for this :sad4:

The best thing about sports is that there always new athletes to cheer for and the competitions keep going - celebrate your favourites while they last and be a fan of the sport then you'll always enjoy yourself.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I'm not ready for this :sad4:
I am already ready for my favorite to retire. Because many people both online and offline dislike him so much I think it will be good for his mentality and for his fans to stay a way from all of these stress and pressure.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
here is the article.. i am so devastated... and i hope the mean people who said they just didn't have motivation or were "faking injuries" on this same board will bite their snake tongues next time....

I didn't see any of the posts you're referring to, so I have no idea who you're referring to .... but I have never noticed that people who post mean things do much in the way of biting their tongues; they mostly continue on as before. Unfortunately.

Thanks for the link to this article, which is very interesting. I was hoping by the end of it that they were going to sit out SOI, to make sure Eric is recovered. But then he said it's been strengthening him physically and also helping his confidence, which I would assume is by leaps and bounds. I hope he's vigilant and doesn't compromise his health in the next 8-10 months.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
About Volosozhar/Trankov, an interview with Maxim Trankov in which he discusses possible retirement plans:

https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/in...unce-a-retirement-at-some-competition.100924/

In essence, it sounds as if they haven't made up their minds completely, but definitely leaning toward retirement.

This is a great interview. I've always been a big fan of V/T's skating and their harmony. I also love reading interviews of Maxim; he's so grounded and entertaining. It's very interesting what he says about balance of teams in terms of coaching, and speaks of what is morally and ethically the right thing to do.

icybear

Medalist
Some Men and Pairs skaters I think might retire after 2018 (if they do, I'm really going to miss a lot of them!):

Men
Misha Ge - assuming he hasn't retired already
Javier Fernandez
Max Aaron
Jeremy Abbott - whether or not he decides to try come back for the Olympics, I think he'll make it official this time
Grant Hochstein - I think he's already confirmed this
Sergei Voronov
Patrick Chan - but could see him staying until World 2020 if in Canada
Adam Rippon
Chafik Bessigher
Ivan Righini
Han Yan
Daisuke Murakami
Takahito Mura
Liam Firus
Elladj Balde
Alexei Bychenko
Alexander Majorov
l

What? Han Yan isn't going to retire. He'll only be 21 after the Olympics. There is no one trying to take his place in the national team. In fact, he might stay till 2022 depending on how his body copes and if there are any younger skaters coming up in China.

Weathergal

Medalist
No one knows. I'm guessing we won't find out until after the Olympics.

I read on another post that Evan had stated that he was planning to continue after the Olympics. Don't take my word for it as I didn't read the original source. I assumed it came out of Chock & Bates's post-Worlds interview?

The young teams are coming now whether or not the top teams retire. The climb will be tougher if the current teams stay in; but four years is enough time to make that climb if you are good enough & competitive.

I don't think any of those 3 is planning on retiring after 2018 at least Shibsibs and C/B (they said they woud go on)

These were just my guesses as I stated in my post. (I definitely don't wish to start rumors!) Since the post said who "might" retire, I was thinking of it that way. Even as I typed the three US dance teams, I knew they could really go either way. I haven't heard anything one way or another, but it's hard to imagine that all three teams will stay after the Olympics. If they do, wow a logjam indeed!

In the case of Hubbell / Donahue, I remember Madison saying that they aren't able to work in Montreal, so I have to wonder if there's a point where financially it would just be too difficult to continue. And for the ShibSibs, I'm not sure why, but I can see them furthering their education. Again, just guesses on my part--certainly not wishful thinking. I'm not one of those who wants to impose a "retirement" on skaters who aren't ready to do so.

What? Han Yan isn't going to retire. He'll only be 21 after the Olympics. There is no one trying to take his place in the national team. In fact, he might stay till 2022 depending on how his body copes and if there are any younger skaters coming up in China.

He's been struggling as of late, so again it was just a guess. I, for one, would miss his beautiful 3A, some of the best!