Who is retiring /might retire after 2018 ? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Who is retiring /might retire after 2018 ?

ralucutzagy

Final Flight
Depends whether you think all these quads has improved the sport; I don't think we can assume quadsters like Chen have necessarily helped the sport.

Yes, I also belive that doing 5-6 quads in a LP is exagerated and take it's toll on the artistic part of the program, but I don't consider Chen only a quadster. I belive he can progress on the PCS part and he is a promising young skater IMO.

QuadThrow

Medalist
Hao Zhang is 32. Half a year younger than Aliona Savchenko, 33.

They are amazing. And both look in better shape than a good many athletes half their age.

Yuko Kavaguti is 35.

IMO zhang will go till 2022. Since 2011 he has only fallen once in a SBS jump. The Chinese men are the most consistent pair skaters.

Aljona has not talked about her career end so far. I think she does not really know it by herself. Even with the possible Gold 2018 it is still in the rooms of possiblities that she will got till 2022.

bestolen

Rinkside
The Chinese men skaters (in pairs) are older 2 years, and women are younger 2 years than their official age.

Last edited:

janav

On the Ice
The Chinese men skaters (in pairs) are older 2 years, and women are younger 2 years than their official age.

Was this ever more than rumour? I've read some stuff like this about Sui/Han back when they were juniors but none of these rumours really had any legitimate base. Do you happen to have any more info than hearsay? Say, some investigative article? I know there was one about chinese gymnasts that debunked this but that was long time ago.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Potential skaters :

Patrick Chan
Yuzuru Hanyu (but worlds 2019 are in Japan so he might change his mind)
Javier Fernandez
Nathan Chen ONLY if he has OGM
Ashley Wagner
Carolina Kostner
Savchenko/Massot (if they have the gold)
Duhamel/Radford
Virtue/Moir
Weaver/Poje
Bobrova/Soloviev (they said that they'll take time-off but not "really retiring")
Cappellini/Lanotte
Guignard/Fabbri

For a lot of them that is still speculation ! Anyone else ?

I think G/F will stay for at least a couple more seasons, especially if C/L retire.

bestolen

Rinkside
Was this ever more than rumour? I've read some stuff like this about Sui/Han back when they were juniors but none of these rumours really had any legitimate base. Do you happen to have any more info than hearsay? Say, some investigative article? I know there was one about Chinese gymnasts that debunked this but that was long time ago.

Well, It doesn't count a secret.
As you say,like gymnastics and many other sports has this issue in China.
As far as I know, Cheng Peng's age is correct.
Because she was picked up for Hao Zhang,never competed junior levels.
Wang/Wang's are correct either.

In the singles, I only heard Yan Han's age controversial.
Boyang and Zijun didn't change their age.

Last edited:

yude

Record Breaker
How about Haruka Imai? I'm not following her but I'm just wondering how she's been recently...

I'm the one who believed Yuzuru would retire after 2018 Olympics but I'm not sure anymore considering of his comments and passion for the competitive skating.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
IMO zhang will go till 2022. Since 2011 he has only fallen once in a SBS jump. The Chinese men are the most consistent pair skaters.

Aljona has not talked about her career end so far. I think she does not really know it by herself. Even with the possible Gold 2018 it is still in the rooms of possiblities that she will got till 2022.

I would be surprised if Savchenko continues on if she wins that OGM - wouldn't it be sweet if she won OBM:) Three bronze - kind of sweet!

desertskates

Medalist
I would be surprised if Savchenko continues on if she wins that OGM - wouldn't it be sweet if she won OBM:) Three bronze - kind of sweet!

I'd also be surprised if Aljona didn't retire after the next year. It's hard to imagine the world of pairs without her, though. She's been a favorite of mine for a long time.

I know she got married last year, and will be 34 next year. If her and her husband with to have a family, that would be the time to do so. Hope she has a skate to be very proud of at the Olympics!

slider11

Medalist
Poor Yuko Kavaguti is like an over-worked Barbie doll whose arms have been popped in and out of the socket too many times. And Alexander practically needs oxygen after the LP with his face red as a beet sucking for air. I loved them in the past but those bodies have seen their day and need to move on. I think Alexander is coaching but poor Yuko always looks so lost and forlorn. I hope she finds her next chapter.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Poor Yuko Kavaguti is like an over-worked Barbie doll whose arms have been popped in and out of the socket too many times. And Alexander practically needs oxygen after the LP with his face red as a beet sucking for air. I loved them in the past but those bodies have seen their day and need to move on. I think Alexander is coaching but poor Yuko always looks so lost and forlorn. I hope she finds her next chapter.

Well they were rather depressing to watch after their return, Yuko needs to put some mass imo. That having said they still have decent chances to get Pyeong Chang berth if they are somehow going to replicate their form from 2015 year. Zabiiako / Enbert or Astakhova / Rogonov are beatable. The problem is aging, motivation & cumulative toll this sport took on both.

janav

On the Ice
What about Voloshozhar/Trankov? They just had a baby so it seems they moved on with their life but they didn't actually retired, did they?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
What about Voloshozhar/Trankov? They just had a baby so it seems they moved on with their life but they didn't actually retired, did they?

No, but they declared they want to.

QuadThrow

Medalist

Well.I wish them the Gold but bronze is not unlikely. Let it be the big fight between them and Sui/Han. Sui/Han go clean and Aljona decides to go for all big tricks. If they miss some elementes like it happened in Vancouver and Sochi another pair (yu/zhang, D/R, T/M, S/K) will be there to take the silver.

Weathergal

Medalist
Some Men and Pairs skaters I think might retire after 2018 (if they do, I'm really going to miss a lot of them!):

Men
Misha Ge - assuming he hasn't retired already
Javier Fernandez
Max Aaron
Jeremy Abbott - whether or not he decides to try come back for the Olympics, I think he'll make it official this time
Grant Hochstein - I think he's already confirmed this
Sergei Voronov
Patrick Chan - but could see him staying until World 2020 if in Canada
Adam Rippon
Chafik Bessigher
Ivan Righini
Han Yan
Daisuke Murakami
Takahito Mura
Liam Firus
Elladj Balde
Alexei Bychenko
Alexander Majorov

Pairs
Yuko Kavaguti / Alexander Smirnov
Meagan Duhamel / Eric Radford
Lubov Iliushechkina / Dylan Moscovitch - although I could see them staying until Worlds 2020 if in Canada and then retiring
Alexa Sciemeca Knierem / Chris Knierem
Aliona Savchenko / Bruno Massot - if there were more strong pairs skaters in Germany, I could see him teaming up with an established skater; but I can't imagine he'd want to go through a release/citizenship change again
Tatiana Volosozhar / Maxim Trankov - assuming they don't decide to retire sooner
Ksenia Stolbova / Fedor Klimov - injuries have really taken their toll; especially if they do pretty well at the Olypmics, I can see them retiring
Valentina Marchei / Ondrej Hotarek
Ashtakova / Roganov - they seem to be "stuck," and I think they'll either retire or at the very least switch coaches

Ladies and Dance later...

OmNomNomNom

Match Penalty
Late to the party, but I'm on the camp sharing the sentiment that a quick Olympic medal grab is not gonna leave a good impression in history. There are practical reasons why a skater might go for that approach and we can't judge them for their decision; however, we're not obliged to remember them in a positive light either. Their win (or medal) could serve the purposes they set out to achieve, but gaining a substantial number of fans and/or leaving behind a legacy are certainly not some of them