Evgenia Medvedeva's Sailor Moon Exhibition | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva's Sailor Moon Exhibition

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Yep...heaven forbid anyone have fun during an exhibition, especially a 17-year-old! And shame on people - even non-skating fans - for finding it enjoyable! And most pretentious post of the year award goes to...:rolleye:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Yep...heaven forbid anyone have fun during an exhibition, especially a 17-year-old! And shame on people - even non-skating fans - for finding it enjoyable! And most pretentious post of the year award goes to...:rolleye:

Hey I didn't say I didn't enjoy geeking out as the rest of you former Otakus, but there's also something valid about that the stuff people do and the stuff people don't do.

Can Tessa and Scott sell a million youtube hits doing Dirty Dancing with that fly above the head move drenched in water spray on ice with 'time of my life' blast in the background! Or Beauty and the Beast tale old as time in yellow french corset and blue velvet and big beast fluffy headgear? And candles and smoke effects. Yes... you bet!! but would they? Hmmm ~~~

Last edited:

NicoleH

On the Ice
I've always regretted that Yuna Kim never did a fun EX piece. All her exhibitions are so boring. Now our new queen Evgenia's EX - this is the direction figure skating should go. :luv17: You can be all serious in competitions, but let's have fun at EX!

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Let's face it, any other past SENIOR ladies world champions doing the Sailor moon, e.g/ Katerina Witt, Kristi, Debi, Lu Chen, Midori, Michelle, Irina, Yuna, Mao, Carolina, Miki doing the OO~~ Kawaii!! Lolita 12 years old junior high school costume change would be consider as a complete and utter 'sell out', morbid and vomit inducing (although in many cases nose bleeds as well). It would be as ridiculous as finding Plushy and Patrick Chan doing the Tuxedo man mouthing a rose, top hat, blackcapes and Dame Edna Everage glasses. But hey... all in good fun! As long as it works as click bait in this wonderful internet age right?!

Can't wait to see the next titillating sensationalistic Brittany/KatiePerry/Taylor Swift baby baby... Can we have Pikachu on ice with Shoma too? Only fair!!

Um....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TYUVh6_6b8 :palmf:

something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig2SEaVc5kA&t=1m20s Tuxedo man

I like Evgenia's ex so much! perfect for her!

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

My choice to do Popeye is Keegan Messing :rock: He is who he is!

I'd LOVE to see that program. Keegan has got the swagger to do Popeye justice.

OK, now I can't get this out of my head ....:laugh:

I'm Keegan the Skater Man (dah-dum)
I eats all my spinach
That's how quads I finish

ejnsofi

Final Flight
Let's face it, any other past SENIOR ladies world champions doing the Sailor moon, e.g/ Katerina Witt, Kristi, Debi, Lu Chen, Midori, Michelle, Irina, Yuna, Mao, Carolina, Miki doing the OO~~ Kawaii!! Lolita 12 years old junior high school costume change would be consider as a complete and utter 'sell out', morbid and vomit inducing (although in many cases nose bleeds as well). It would be as ridiculous as finding Plushy and Patrick Chan doing the Tuxedo man mouthing a rose, top hat, blackcapes and Dame Edna Everage glasses. But hey... all in good fun! As long as it works as click bait in this wonderful internet age right?!

I agree that it'd be hard to imagine Yuna doing something which would make her look like she had fun on ice but the rest? Plushy was the king of weird gala performances and Mao took her dog on the ice during her Somewhere over the Rainbow program. And don't forget Philippe Candeloro and his Braveheart exhibition. Even now we have skaters who are not afraid of having fun and are older than 17.
Javier is one of the oldest on men's competitive field and he still keeps his Aerobic Class program. He performed it during Olympic Games Gala and nobody had a problem with it. Yet here we are being sulky about 17 year old girl having fun on ice and bringing people joy.
New rules should be established for galas:
- no fun, no smile. It's so juvenile.
- no happy upbeat music. Sorry Misha and Ashley but people would think you actually enjoy what you are doing
- forget about colourful costumes and props. It's for otakus.
- do something which will be forgettable. We don't want your performance being click bait after all.

Zhenya's Sailor Moon is happy, funny program people enjoy watch. It suits her personality (better than her competitive programs) and allows her to smile a little bit. It's actually a great way of promoting figure skating among those who think about as boring and uninteresting sport.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Hey I didn't say I didn't enjoy geeking out as the rest of you former Otakus, but there's also something valid about that the stuff people do and the stuff people don't do.

Can Tessa and Scott sell a million youtube hits doing Dirty Dancing with that fly above the head move drenched in water spray on ice with 'time of my life' blast in the background! Or Beauty and the Beast tale old as time in yellow french corset and blue velvet and big beast fluffy headgear? And candles and smoke effects. Yes... you bet!! but would they? Hmmm ~~~

Give me a break . . . Tessa and Scott have done their share of fun and silly exhibitions. For example, they did a cute ballerina/hockey player exhibition in 2010 complete with cheesy music and dance moves: https://youtu.be/Si5X7feKxgs

And guess what, Kaliszek/Spodyriev did a fun Dirty Dancing FD that was well-received by the Helsinki audience this year: https://youtu.be/h40mgfYZJ_A

Plus despite what what you said about "titillating sensationalistic Brittany/KatiePerry/Taylor Swift" [sic] exhibitions, plenty of skaters have done these types of programs in the past:

Gracie Gold skating to Taylor Swift: https://youtu.be/t2CvqyTxDdI

Misha Ge skating to Justin Bieber (with silly props too!): https://youtu.be/X3j3VvNRYhE

Javier Fernandez skating to Bruno Mars: https://youtu.be/-1mP2h4jsB0

Kiira Korpii skating to Katy Perry: https://youtu.be/nBFVjrWVnGo

Would you call all these skaters "morbid," "vomit-inducing" and "sell-outs"? Or are those terms just reserved for Evgenia? :rolleye:

tennisguy

Rinkside
I think the one thing we can learn from skater's exhibition pieces is that they and their choreographers have terrible taste in music. :scratch3:

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

I'm the furthest thing from an otaku & I've never seen an episode of Sailor Moon. But I like seeing skaters attempt something original and personal to them. I'm not into Kpop either, but Misha Ge loves it and he can make it work. Plushy's old ex programs were (still are!) legendary. If not for these few adventurous souls, I would probably not bother watching galas at all. Too many boring interchangeable programs, too much Sam Smith & other overplayed current music.

I'm not a fan of Tessa and Scott, but I imagine they absolutely could & would do that Dirty Dancing program and pull it off to the delight of their fans. Why not? You hate pop culture so much that you have to belittle anyone else who finds pleasure in it?

janav

On the Ice
It is a PERFECT EX piece, using anime is a great strategy to not only entertain current skating fans but it can also attract new skating fans. She even appeared on 9gag lol

Someone should do a meme themed program :rofl2:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
[...bunch of examples with fun programs..]

Would you call all these skaters "morbid," "vomit-inducing" and "sell-outs"? Or are those terms just reserved for Evgenia? :roll eyes:

Wait a minute... where did I say Evegenia's Sailor Moon was ever vomit inducing or morbid? I said ANYONE ELSE does it WOULD be. It is not the same thing. I am hardly wrong. Can you imagine Katerina Witt (or any one else) dress up in sailor moon outfit and pulling up red socks for costume change lol.. come on!! It is practically nose bleeding material that will certainly bring popularity to the sport, generate millions of hits, and open a whole new range of new ♂ audiences. :laugh:

In any case, what would you consider to be a 'sell out' program look like then - in Japan?

'Sell out' to me is anyone who sacrifices artistic integrity for the sake of popularity and commercial success. It may be great to shake up things up with fun exhibitions when the skater is obviously making a joke at their own expenses, but they need to have developed the artistic credentials/trust with the audience in the first place, but that clearly does not apply to Evgenia who has yet to shown serious artistic chops or any genuine interest to develop beyond playing juniorish make believe. Unless this is now becoming her particular brand of 'artistry' for the senior ladies :confused2:.

There are a few things only youngsters can get away before overstepping the line of poor taste. It is why the program works for her right now (actually would work better 2 years ago) but would be absolutely horrific (and yes morbid) if she keeps it for any longer, and mostly because it was done in Japan this time. The lack of self-awareness and effervescence of youth is a powerful powerful weapon. It is why Julia's Schindler's list works amazingly at 16, but would be considered awful and calculated at age 18/19 as 3 seasons veteran. For comedy to work, there needs to be a level of self-awareness, assurance, gravitas to invite the audience on the joke, so we are laughing with you and not at you.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think skaters should be allowed to perform whatever exhibition they choose. Evgenia has a horde of world records and is the most consistent skater in recent memory - she clearly takes herself seriously when she compete so it's nice to see her let her hair down (well, kinda lol) and have fun.

I'm sure if she did a more serious number people would condemn her for trying to project older than her age... oh, wait a minute.... :sarcasm:

NicoleH

On the Ice
'Sell out' to me is anyone who sacrifices artistic integrity for the sake of popularity and commercial success. It may be great to shake up things up with fun exhibitions when the skater is obviously making a joke at their own expenses, but they need to have developed the artistic credentials/trust with the audience in the first place, but that clearly does not apply to Evgenia who has yet to shown serious artistic chops or any genuine interest to develop beyond playing juniorish make believe. Unless this is now becoming her particular brand of 'artistry' for the senior ladies :confused2:
Why are you so against Evgenia? Her W.E. long program is more artistic than any long programs that Yuna Kim has done. Its theme is quite serious, so yes she can do a fun EX, and it shows she can be both seriously artistic and fun. Btw Yuna Kim's Just A Girl program is neither popular nor artistic.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Why are you so against Evgenia? Her W.E. long program is more artistic than any long programs that Yuna Kim has done. Its theme is quite serious, so yes she can do a fun EX, and it shows she can be both seriously artistic and fun. Btw Yuna Kim's Just A Girl program is neither popular nor artistic.

I think we can find common ground and not belittle Kim's JAG while also supporting Evgenia's Sailor Moon.

I also disagree about W.E. being more artistic than anything Kim's ever done (especially Adios and Rhapsody) but Evgenia has a style of skating I really enjoy and appreciate even if she doesn't have the maturity of Kim (you know, in Med's second senior season!).

NicoleH

On the Ice
Maybe you should give better examples. IMO Kim's Adios Nonino is especially not artistic. It has nothing to do with the music. I prefer Lu Chen's and Denis Ten's Adios programs. Kim shows maturity in Danse Macabre program, that I agree and I think everyone would agree, but her Adios program is the counterexample.

Last edited:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist

^LOL. See Homage to Korea, Lark Ascending, Gershwin, and Les Miserables if you don't like Adios Nonino. :)

--

Sailor Moon fits Zhenya. She's cute, charming, and 100% Otaku. I just wish the program had more choreography in it other than gliding and jumps. I feel it's empty choreography-wise. Also, it's a good thing that it helps attract more fans. Bringing more people into the sport is always a good thing. It helps support skaters to continue doing what they love.

I see Zhenya doing a YOI ex than Yuzu TBH. Also, I've never associated Yuuri with Yuzu. They're so different.

Last edited:

Perfume

Match Penalty
Anyone with knowledge about Otaku culture in Japan will understand that sailor costume doesn't come across among many male generations as normal. There is some fetish trend going on with that costume. Some men call that thing hot. It kind of disgusts me.
Yes Sailor Moon is famous across many ages, but that costume is thought of not in a good way by men here.