Joshua Farris | Page 63 | Golden Skate

Joshua Farris

musicfan80

Medalist
The photos from the shoot are very nice - am I the only one who thinks that blue should be his mandatory color from now on? :yes:

I hope the website gets updated often enough - for example - I see that his Instagram isn't linked on there.

Business question - Has Lauren Rossi always been Josh's agent? Isn't Yuki Saegusa the guru agent for figure skaters at IMG? Assuming the comeback goes well, would that be a hindrance for opportunities? Or would that matter because they are all under the same IMG umbrella? I don't think Jason Brown's agent is with IMG, though.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am also interested to note that the site lists his 2015-2016 music with the SP Give Me Love and the FS Pines of Rome. I wonder if there is anything meaningful in them being specifically listed for 2015-2016, even though he did not compete, or whether I'm just too desperate for news. :biggrin:

EDIT: And yes, I am in total agreement about blue. :love:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am also interested to note that the site lists his 2015-2016 music with the SP Give Me Love and the FS Pines of Rome. I wonder if there is anything meaningful in them being specifically listed for 2015-2016, even though he did not compete, or whether I'm just too desperate for news. :biggrin:

EDIT: And yes, I am in total agreement about blue. :love:

The site was updated to confirm :

2017-2018 SEASON (Senior)
Short Program: “Give Me Love” by Ed Sheeran
Free Program: “Pines of Rome” by Ottorino Respighi
Choreographer: Jeffrey Buttle

Cathlen posted this info on the new program thread.

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm glad we have confirmation of Josh's programs for the upcoming season. Any bit of good news is welcome. I can't wait to see his programs on you tube.

musicfan80

Medalist
This might be one of the most intriguing LPs next season. How will the music be interpreted? Telling a story about Rome? Or nature (pine trees)? Or something else? I know one of the movements is about catacombs and another is about the Roman army marching in victory.

Fun fact: I also know that John Williams stole large parts of Pines of Rome to compose the theme to Superman (The original, not the often terribly done Hollywood remakes).

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I can't say I'm excited about seeing Give Me Love yet again, although it's Josh, and he seems to love it, so I'll try....

But the Respighi, yes!:hap85: One of our cats is named Appius, so it would be cool if he picked the fourth (Appian way/Roman victory) movement. Jes sayin'....:cool14:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well, I can't say I'm excited about seeing Give Me Love yet again, although it's Josh, and he seems to love it, so I'll try....

You know he only skated it four times in competition, right? And only three times, to my knowledge, as an exhibition, although there may be more.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You know he only skated it four times in competition, right? And only three times, to my knowledge, as an exhibition, although there may be more.

You are right, it's completely me and the WWG syndrome. And I should have more faith: I actually enjoyed Sam Smith by the time Jason was done with it. So, Josh, work your magic, and maybe I'll like a second WWG:laugh:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You are right, it's completely me and the WWG syndrome. And I should have more faith: I actually enjoyed Sam Smith by the time Jason was done with it. So, Josh, work your magic, and maybe I'll like a second WWG:laugh:

WWG=Whiny White Guy? I'm not a big Ed Sheeran fan either but I like "Give Me Love" and the edit they used for Josh so I don't mind him using it again. Maybe Jeff will tweak the choreo to mix things up but I think it's good he's using a program that he likes and is comfortable with, especially his first season back.

musicfan80

Medalist
Very nice interview by Leah Adams/Figure Skaters Online - Josh Farris: “My goal right now is to train and just enjoy it”

Many great things here. I'm surprised that Christy Krall and Damon Allen didn't earlier force him to continue full programs after a mistake. I figured that is a given with coaches at this level. I know that is a staple with Frank Carroll.

His skating skills have apparently improved - it was noted that he did "glide from one end of a 200 foot rink to about 20 feet short from the other end, in one stroke" during the turns & edges seminar that he taught after the Skate It Forward ice show.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a great interview. And this quote is definitely true and takes some people a lifetime to learn. He knows it at 22.

Whatever you do for a living is what you do for a living and not who you are.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

It seems like more to me, but that's probably because I You-tubed it so many times with so many different commentaries.:laugh:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Many great things here. I'm surprised that Christy Krall and Damon Allen didn't earlier force him to continue full programs after a mistake. I figured that is a given with coaches at this level.

I remember Josh talking about this in an interview before - basically, Christy and Damon gave him control over a lot of aspects of his skating that Tom had controlled before, with the idea being for him to realise why he needed to do this sort of thing. The "I'm training smarter" interview - I think it was just before Nats 2015? I suppose the idea is "he'll figure it out when he has problems in competition", and he did.

The Broadmoor Open schedule is out, however I have no idea when we will find out if Josh is competing in more than the aerial team comp.

http://broadmoorskatingclub.com/events/broadmoor/

The Broadmoor doesn't normally publish their entry list. We'll have to wait until a day or two before the comp, when someone - most likely Sylvia - usually posts it on the internet somewhere.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I'm also hoping that maybe he will compete at Broadmoor!

BTW, re this year's streaming of the Broadmoor Open (as distinct from the Aerial Challenge):

Apparently a pass must be *purchased* from ProEventPhoto, which will have two channels of streaming ("World Arena" and "World Arena - Zamboni End").

(I do not know the cost. At this point, do not plan to purchase a pass.)

...ETA:

I am copying below the schedule for the World Arena's Fire and Ice exhibitions.
(Although I already posted it in The Edge a week or so ago, seems worth re-posting, esp. now that some of us will not have full access to GS archives.)

Broadmoor Skating Club announces 2017 schedule for Fire and Ice exhibitions. These exhibitions will feature members of Broadmoor Skating Club and skaters from across the country and the world who are currently training at The World Arena Ice Hall. Fire and Ice exhibitions will take place in Olympic rink of the World Arena Ice Hall and are open to public free of charge.

June 16 6:15 pm-7:45 pm
July 14 6:15 pm-7:45 pm
July 21 6:30 pm-8:00 pm
July 28 6:15 pm-7:45 pm
August 4 6:15 pm-7:45 pm
August 11 6:15 pm-7:45 pm
September 22 5:45 pm-8:15 pm
November 10 7:30 pm-8:30 pm

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10155470604374548&id=183308679547 (May 23)​

Of course, no telling whether Josh will skate in any of these exhibitions.
But maybe he will??​

In case anyone actually plans to attend on July 21:

The Broadmoor SC site has the same schedule, except that it says NHL rink for July 21.
I don't know whether the link below is correct or whether the BSC FB page (which says Olympic rink for all dates) is correct.
http://broadmoorskatingclub.com/fire-and-ice/

musicfan80

Medalist
COOL! Thanks icecoverage! :)

Great! - Now I'm jealous of these kids (I'm assuming there are no adult dancers/skaters taking part of the Skate Dance Dream camps) :laugh: - Those attending the camp will get the opportunity to have a private lesson with Josh the Monday morning afterwards. Here's the same post from Skate Dance Dream on Facebook.

What a great opportunity for these young skaters - I also wonder if Josh will be able to make some more $$$$ from the lessons or will it go back to the camp somehow.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
BTW, re this year's streaming of the Broadmoor Open (as distinct from the Aerial Challenge):

Apparently a pass must be *purchased* from ProEventPhoto, which will have two channels of streaming ("World Arena" and "World Arena - Zamboni End").

(I do not know the cost. At this point, do not plan to purchase a pass.)​

Thanks for the info! I won't buy one either until we know who is competing. If Jason/Josh/Max will be there I might buy one, depending on how much it is.

Great! - Now I'm jealous of these kids (I'm assuming there are no adult dancers/skaters taking part of the Skate Dance Dream camps) :laugh: - Those attending the camp will get the opportunity to have a private lesson with Josh the Monday morning afterwards. Here's the same post from Skate Dance Dream on Facebook.

What a great opportunity for these young skaters - I also wonder if Josh will be able to make some more $$$$ from the lessons or will it go back to the camp somehow.

*whining jealously in the corner* Those lucky kids!​

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
COMPETITION ALERT, JOSHUA FANS! (Oh, how good it feels to write that again!)

BROADMOOR OPEN IS A GO! REPEAT, BROADMOOR OPEN IS A GO!

Sylvia (of course) posted the entry list today and Joshua's name is on the combined event - so we will see Pines of Rome for the first time ever!

Per the schedule on the website, the Combined Event Sr Men's short is on Thursday, 22 June, at 12:30pm-1:30pm (local time). Free skate is Friday 23 June at 1:20-2:20pm (local time).

This schedule is looking brutal for karne (4:30am hello!) but...it will be so worth it. To see him compete again. :love:

Stream info (also included in Sylvia's post) - looks like $15 for a day pass and $45 for all event, which is a bit steep, but again...worth it. (If I choose to shell out, and I probably will, I may...give everyone some love. ;) )

Liz1201

Rinkside
:yahoo::hap57::hap85:Sooo excited!!! Looks like I will be taking off work and driving to the Springs Thursday-Saturday.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
:yahoo::hap57::hap85:Sooo excited!!! Looks like I will be taking off work and driving to the Springs Thursday-Saturday.

OMG you're going to go?! I'm so jealous! Have a fabulous wonderful time and take extra tissues because it will be so emotional to see him compete again...