2018 Four Continents Mens FS | Page 58 | Golden Skate

2018 Four Continents Mens FS

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I couldn't stay up to watch this, but I'm so happy Boyang won. The gap deserved to be much bigger, imo. Boyang showed how to really sell a tacky LP, real quality jumps he could actually land, and his joy of skating is so genuine...it's impossible to not root for him. I hope for a Boyang/Yuzu/Javi podium in whatever order...hope this will give him confidence & that he has time to rest now.

slider11

Medalist
The Olympics will be exciting! I have great respect for Boyang with his jumps and emerging artistry. But if Javi, Patrick or even Shoma are clean, I think they are the most complete skaters and most worthy of the gold. I know, big IF! Hanyu is a mystery to me. Sometimes his artistry seems developed and other times he seems like a jumper to me.

If the rules change next year as rumored, I hope the likes of Jason Brown stick around. This may be the last year where quads are king. They will still be valued but a complete skater will be rewarded.

Country
Russia
Before anyone starts looking into their crystal balls or astrological charts or tea leaves or tarot cards about what WILL happen in Korea, you might be wise to look at the history books.

Ask Sarah Hughes.
Ask Alexei Urmanov.
Ask Torvill and Dean.
Ask Kurt Browning.
Ask Brian Boitano.
Etc. Etc. Etc.

Ice is slippery. It's the Olympics. Surprises happen.
Let us remember OWG 2014.

Team Event Men SP. Yuzuru and Patrick would be ahead Plushy if all three clean. But Patrick was mistaken and Plushy was second.

Individual Men Event. After SP were two pretenders to gold - Yusuru and Patric, and it was unpredictable who wins.
Were 11 pretenders to bronze and it was unpredictable who will win bronze, Denis Ten did it being not in last warm-up of FS.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I couldn't stay up to watch this, but I'm so happy Boyang won. The gap deserved to be much bigger, imo. Boyang showed how to really sell a tacky LP, real quality jumps he could actually land, and his joy of skating is so genuine...it's impossible to not root for him. I hope for a Boyang/Yuzu/Javi podium in whatever order...hope this will give him confidence & that he has time to rest now.

Now ain't that the truth! :laugh2: Honestly, I don't think Lori did him justice with this program, it's so similar to last years (Recycle-Lori at her best) and the music cuts are weird. But Boyang has so much charm, it doesn't even matter.
The improvement from last year again is so visible. And maybe it's me, but together with better & securer running edges coming out, his jumps seemed to have more speed going in and better ice coverage? Love it! Hopefully he can reproduce this at the Olympics - I'd love Boyang on the podium! :pray:

And, going into the Olympics, all the big titles are spread out:
Current World (& Oly) Champion: Yuzu
Current GPF Champ: Nath
Current Euro Champ: Javi
Current 4CC Champ: Boyang

If that doesn't make for a nice set-up. Factor in that none of them have the highest SB (that's Shoma), and it looks even more unpredictable.

Right now, I think the medal favorites are Yuzu, Javi, Boyang, Nath & Shoma, with Patrick & Mika following as the next likely. If I'd have to pick a dark horse, I'd say it's Dima Aliev. After his EC performances, how could I not? :luv17:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Missed the competition but just looked at the protocols. WOW that TES score for Boyang, amazing!:bow:
Congrats to him on his gold medal performance!

Congrats to Boyang, Shoma and Jason! Off to watch the videos.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
After reading all the numerous comments on Shoma's yellow outfit, I just had to watch his FS first. And I agree with everyone, that shade of yellow aint gonna cut it. Use the blue or some darker colour is better

Boyang's FS just made the upcoming men's event at OG even more interesting.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Great skate from Boyang, well deserved win! :agree:

Best jumps of the men so far.

I think his SP is much better, sharper, focused, and deserved higher PCS. :luv17:

The music is better integrated now, but he should tamp down the comedic Cantina bits to a more savvy Javi type of sexy fun caper rather than La Strada clowning. Still find it jarring and awkward..also more emotions and less drooping arms the rest of the programs...more how to train your dragon FS type of expression?

Go to another choreographer for your next season, Lori isn't taking you seriously enough.

Please somebody tell Boyang.:pray:

Dont think Boyang makes the decision which choreographer to go to. His coach or the higher ups in Team CHina decides that cos they pay the cost, including Boyang's training and expenses.

China athletes dont get to choose who is their coach either for the same reason.

synteis

Medalist
I predictably fell asleep between group 1 and 2 but have really enjoyed watching the videos. This may be my favourite competition of the year so far. I liked the judging, I loved the redemption skates and I can't wait for the Olympics. This men's event was particularly special. Elladj in the top ten (along with the two other Canadians), Jason with his first ISU Championship medal and Boyang with the gold after such a fun skate that he really sold.

Clearly we need to start giving the ice monster blood sacrifices at the start of each competition since for many who have struggled all year this was at last their redemption skate.

I continue to find this technical calling on levels and spins really refreshing (even if I have my problems with the tech calling on jumps with the ladies FP). I love that StSq4 are so rare in this comp that you can track them and that many struggle to have SSq4s across the board. So great to finally have some tension in the steps and spins judging-wise. Of course in the men in particular jumps continue to play a larger role in points but I still think it's change for the better. While it would be hard to win on StSq and SpSq alone (you'd need great GOE and PCS across the board as Jason shows), I think this change means that like with UR calls, you could now lose on StSq and SpSq. Hopefully this will get everyone polishing up their steps and spins in addition to their jumps ahead of the Olympics.

I love, love, love how Boyang jumps and he's really developing some good performance qualities now. I also appreciate his music choices which are clearly so straight up him (I'm a nerd so that wins extra points in my eyes). The music cuts really worked for me. Were they ridiculous? Yes. Was there a lot of tonal dissonance between sections? Yes. Did I care? Nope. With all the warhorses on play this year both his programs are such a breath of fresh air. Incredible to think he was able to deliver these kind of performances after his injury. Really excited to watch his second half of the season and beyond.

I actually thought Shoma's costume was reasonably classy for what it is. It helps that he doesn't have a v down to his belly button so it might just be in comparison. I thought the bedazzling suited the baroque monstrosity quite well. I would never wear it myself but of all of his costumes this year (none of which I am fond of), it may be my favourite. I agree though that is doesn't lengthen him and I think his hair could use some work in both programs. His jumps aren't for me but I do really enjoy his cantilevers, spread-eagles and the like. When he holds an edge, it's lovely.

That this was Jason's best LP of the season is such a shame to me. It had a few moments that weren't quite up to his usual level of polish, presumably because he hasn't been training it all year. Inner Love had all kinds of potential but I think it was also choreographed as a vehicle for his 4T which never materialized successfully in competition. Given what he was gunning for, I don't think he had much choice other than to give it his best shot with a program like Inner Love with a 4T. If he'd stayed with this program, people would have said he wasn't serious, wasn't trying to improve/develop technically, etc Which isn't to say that this wasn't a great program for him which seems to have finally pulled him out of his funk and given him some stable ground under his feet. It's a greta program to be training as an alternate precisely because it doesn't push him as far beyond his comfort zone, plus this got him his first ISU championship medal. His spiral sequence was absolutely gorgeous.

Kevin Reynolds finally had his farewell skate after his implosion at Nationals. I'm glad he held on to his quads one last time even if he struggled to fully rotate them. He was never my favourite Canadian man but what a way to go out. Good for him.

Elladj had another great set of skates. I think his Nationals performances are still my favourite but I'm so thrilled that we've got four different wonderful performances out of him this year (not counting his galas ofc). I was crying by the end and he seemed so moved by the whole experience. What a way to sign off. I can't wait to keep following his career.

My favourite competition for the men of the year.

nekun

On the Ice
Boyang had set himself as an OGM favorite once he got bronze medal in his first senior World.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Just caught up with the Men's event, it's been impossible to watch anything 4CC live for me due to real life, but this was worth it. Wow! I'd totally forgotten about Boyang skating to Star Wars (da squee!) and The Planets, and seeing him do so well just makes me go :luv17:.
Shoma, too, was amazing, proving it all really comes down to one mistake or none at the Olympics. So exciting! :yahoo:

And a special shout out to Kevin, he was awesome.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Just caught Elladj's performance, which wasn't shown on the Oly channel broadcast last night. Watching him brought a tear to my eye. So happy he skated like that in his farewell competition, and wonderful to see his reaction along with his coaches in the k&c. Loved Jason and Misha too, but Elladj's was my personal favorite of the fs performances without a quad.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Dont think Boyang makes the decision which choreographer to go to. His coach or the higher ups in Team CHina decides that cos they pay the cost, including Boyang's training and expenses.

China athletes dont get to choose who is their coach either for the same reason.

I get it...maybe his coach or others in the Fed should insist on changing the mix of the music? That is a horrible albatross...I don't know how he did it but those PCS might be higher if there wasn't this bizarre clownish interlude.:palmf:

dalenofff

Rinkside
Vincent is very capable of at least 5 quads my friend. If he lands them cleanly with all the GOE's, his TES will be in the 100+ too. I won't count him out!

And those whose favorites can't jump that many quads complain about "crossovers". Enjoyed Boyang's program tonight compare to Shoma.

His raw at national was 119 before the call of <.. so yeah if he land all 5 plus 2 axels.. it can be huge..

qwertyskates

Medalist
Just caught Elladj's performance, which wasn't shown on the Oly channel broadcast last night. Watching him brought a tear to my eye. So happy he skated like that in his farewell competition, and wonderful to see his reaction along with his coaches in the k&c. Loved Jason and Misha too, but Elladj's was my personal favorite of the fs performances without a quad.

If there's a new category for inventive skating for skaters like Elladj or Aymoz it would be awesome. :clap: I wish they'd add this for those who skate crazily good but who don't have quads or great jumps.

da96103

Record Breaker
If there's a new category for inventive skating for skaters like Elladj or Aymoz it would be awesome. :clap: I wish they'd add this for those who skate crazily good but who don't have quads or great jumps.

I always wondered why there isn't a solo equivalent of ice dancing. Then we can have two new events solo ladies ice dance and solo men ice dance.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
I get it...maybe his coach or others in the Fed should insist on changing the mix of the music? That is a horrible albatross...I don't know how he did it but those PCS might be higher if there wasn't this bizarre clownish interlude.:palmf:

I myself find it odd that such an established choreographer like Lori Nichol could come up with such weird cuts.
Lori did a great job with the China pairs choreo though.
Maybe its the coach has something to do with it. Yao Bin and now Zhao wouldnt have allowed it for their pairs. Hopefully someone mentions something to Boyang's coach.

da96103

Record Breaker
Very Small Virtual Medals for 2018 4CC Men's Free Skate StSq4

Boyang Jin
Jason Brown
Misha Ge
June Hyoung Lee

4 of 24 skaters