2018 Four Continents Mens FS | Page 60 | Golden Skate

2018 Four Continents Mens FS

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I don't understand the bolded part at all. :confused: I loved Inner Love. Why did he change the program?

He didn’t say. But at a guess, he changed because he had struggled unsuccessfully with it all season. His jumps were giving him problems. I expect that by setting it aside after he imploded on it at Nats, and by going back to a program he had performed to great acclaim at Worlds last season, it was easier to get his confidence back.

I agree that Inner Love is a beautiful program, and I hope he’ll return to it one day.

beki

Medalist
real quality jumps he could actually land

:thumbsup:

If we're going to complain about skaters falling on quads, let's give proper credit to Boyang for not doing that. And getting those levels on non-jump elements! The music cuts of this program are still a mess, but it's night and day from before now that he hit the tech and the expression.

I think it's more possible to develop artistry second with the foundation of proper jump technique, like Boyang, than to start with more X-factor and fix problematic jumps at some later date, like Shoma.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There's several kids doing FS in Mexico, but only a few cities have rinks and the coaches are not top world level, so you see some international competitors once in a while. I used to always see people doing spins and practicing when going to the rinks. My sister did it for a while but never reached a level anywhere near competition. Donovan trains in that same rink because the one he started at closed and his coached moved there. (He lives with his coach in my hometown, 2.5 hrs away from his parents).

Thx for the info! I automatically assumed the rinks would be in Mexico City or maybe Guadalajara or Puebla. Are those guesses correct?...Donovan was a joy to watch. He looked like he was so happy to be there! A bunch of us really enjoyed him.

cell

On the Ice
It could be something as simple as "vibe."

Like you, I loved the program, but did he ever skate it clean?

Maybe his team just decided to be done with it, and return for his (probable) final comp of the year to something he liked and had skated well.

The skate Canada performance while not clean was pretty good

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
And interesting side note on PCS:
Jason and Shoma were really close! Shoma edged him out thanks to a much stronger SS score, but Jason tied or beat him in the other for categories.

SS: Shoma (9.18 vs. 8.89)
TR: Tied (8.96)
PE: Tied ( 9.25)
CH: Jason (9.25 vs. 9.18)
IN: Jason (9.43 vs. 9.32)

Lots of fun things to look at here:
http://skatingscores.com/2018/fc/men/long/

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think Shoma's better on all counts. :p

And you're entitled to that opinion. :) I mainly pointed it out, cause it seems other judging panels like spilting PCS categories with these two and it's interesting how they are spilt. Generally Shoma seems to have a clear edge on SS and Jason seems to do well in IN and TR and PE and CH seems like a toss up depending on the day.

Lombardia Trophy
Overall: Shoma (92.10 vs. 91.80)
SS: Shoma (9.5 vs 9.1)
TR: Jason (8.9 vs. 8.8)
PE: Shoma (9.25 vs. 9.2)
CH: Tie (9.25)
IN: Jason (9.45 vs. 9.25)

Skate Canada
Overall: Shoma (91.16 vs. 90.06)
SS: Shoma (9.29 vs 8.86)
TR: Jason (9.04 vs. 8.89)
PE: Tied (9.04)
CH: Shoma (9.11 vs 9.04)
IN: Jason (9.32 vs. 9.25)

GPF
Overall: Shoma (91.36 vs 90.08)
SS: Shoma (9.36 vs. 9.00)
TR: Shoma (8.96 vs. 8.93)
PE: Shoma (9.00 vs. 8.96)
CH: Shoma (9.18 vs. 9.11)
IN: Shoma (9.18 vs. 9.11)

Jason, for all his struggles, only fell below 90 once this season -- at NHK Trophy, which was clearly not a great performance but he was basically just under it (89.86). Judges basically are saying that they appreciate his overall skating and performance quality. I hope he figures out the technical stuff, cause he's getting top shelf PCS without basically no big advantage like being a US #1 or a quad landing bonus.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think Toddler P might be considering becoming a Boyangaughter! She just turned on Boyang's FS on YouTube. I kid you not. And she's still watching it.

synteis

Medalist
I think Toddler P might be considering becoming a Boyangaughter! She just turned on Boyang's FS on YouTube. I kid you not. And she's still watching it.

I seeee. Clearly Toddler P and SS's Yuzurudaughter are going to have to go fist to fist ahead of the olympics so that we know who'll win in advance :p

eriecold

On the Ice
wait, what? Donovan trains in México? wow, his achievements should be doubly praised, I hope he gets the 3a. I know Andrea Motesinos had to move to Connecticut for a better training camp and I think she moved again ans she now trains with Rafael A., I think the Cantú sisters trained with Rafael A. too.

He's something really special. Yet nobody in Mexico knows about him.
He trains in León, because his coach got a job there after the rink in Guadalajara where he was working, closed.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I seeee. Clearly Toddler P and SS's Yuzurudaughter are going to have to go fist to fist ahead of the olympics so that we know who'll win in advance :p

LOL. That would be kinda interesting especially since my little girl is a tiny one!

She watched that FS for a while -- for her that's pretty noteworthy.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
His raw at national was 119 before the call of <.. so yeah if he land all 5 plus 2 axels.. it can be huge..

I think it's only wishful thinking. He gets < calls because he underrotates his quads and is likely to stumble / fall at least on a couple of them everytime, and he (Vincent) does it often enough and some of those are not even called with lenient panel. So expecting him to just clean it up immediately is detached from reality.

dalenofff

Rinkside
I think it's only wishful thinking. He gets < calls because he underrotates his quads and is likely to stumble / fall at least on a couple of them everytime, and he (Vincent) does it often enough and some of those are not even called with lenient panel. So expecting him to just clean it up immediately is detached from reality.

we know he can do the Lutz and Sow, he have demonstrated it at World Jr, Finland, US national. His Flip and Toe are new this year so yeah his track record of doing a clean program is not there yet. He is 17 so he does have that going for him. Wishful thinking, you might be right but then when we root for our favorite , even if he is the underdog, we are allow to have wishful thinking.. :)

lavender

Record Breaker
Bogan continues to improve..I actually enjoyed watching this. I have to say I enjoy how he skates across the ice better than Nathan...sorry
Sure Chen is extra cute with some charisma and I can't believe I'm saying this but when jin is on he's much smoother.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Bogan continues to improve..I actually enjoyed watching this. I have to say I enjoy how he skates across the ice better than Nathan...sorry
Sure Chen is extra cute with some charisma and I can't believe I'm saying this but when jin is on he's much smoother.

I have to give Boyang credit for working on his non-jump skills. He has improved leaps and bounds in his spin and steps. He was one of three people to get all level 4 spin and steps -- along with June Hyeong Lee and Jason Brown. What exclusive company!

Outstanding performance by the Jinster. Not a lot there besides the jumps, but oh those jumps! Boyang has to be in the conversation aoout the Olympic gold medal.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Outstanding performance by the Jinster. Not a lot there besides the jumps, but oh those jumps! Boyang has to be in the conversation ablut the Olympic gold medal.

I might have to sic my newly minted Boyangaughter on you. :p

Yes he could stand to have more transitions and a bid more fluidity in body movement, but his overall skating quality and his non-jump elements have improved greatly -- he got all level 4 spins and steps with Jason (and June Hyeong)