2018 Worlds Pairs Free Skate | Page 56 | Golden Skate

2018 Worlds Pairs Free Skate

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Now for Bill and Fleur, and the Horror in Honeydukes!

Soda, meet monitor. Now I'm not going to be happy until they skate to the Harry Potter soundtrack.

Aliona and Bruno gave me chills, made me cry...all the feels! That program is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen on ice. I'm happy with the podium.

bobbob

Medalist
T/M's program is horrible, but I'm okay with them getting silver because it is a skating competition and the quality of their skating was the second best. Programs really should not affect your score beyond how they can demonstrate your skating skills.

QuadThrow

Medalist
Aljona's tears are so intense. Love it...

She is the reason I became a Figure skating fan. And this is the end.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Those tiny medals were made of real gold, silver and bronze, and these new ones are not...

Really? Well I guess that does count for something (poor Yags...one of his got stolen!!)

:laugh: Aliona and Bruno look like they're gonna be out there forever!

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
How much time do you have for problems with that program?

Nah, my incipient carpal tunnel syndrome is already bad enough without stating the obvious...

;)

You know - they didnt make that program to satisfy someones personal taste. It is just stupid to expect from skaters to do that. And i will defend anyones freedom to choose the music and style they wanted to. First, because that brings variety in the sport, and skaters should use that freedom to skate to any music and style existing in the world. And second, because choosing the music and style is not something which is telling how good skater you are, nor define your scores.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Soda, meet monitor. Now I'm not going to be happy until they skate to the Harry Potter soundtrack.

Aliona and Bruno gave me chills, made me cry...all the feels! That program is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen on ice. I'm happy with the podium.

Harry Potter theme would be actually cool. It would be daring.... and maybe with right choreography, it would not end up tacky. Hedwig's theme is a great tune actually.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Devastated for the Knierims and China losing a pair spot. Very happy with the podium, though!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
T/M's program is horrible, but I'm okay with them getting silver because it is a skating competition and the quality of their skating was the second best. Programs really should not affect your score beyond how they can demonstrate your skating skills.

Agreed. It's like Totmiannina/Marinin... hated their programs and they were booooooring as hell, but they were deserved winners for executing their elements and delivering clean skates while others faltered.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Now I'll barely be able to watch anything tomorrow since I'll be on a plan/in Nashville (For the 2nd year in a row during a World Championships.....lol).

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Awww Vanessa is so happy! :biggrin:

Also I like that the Worlds medals are appropriately large now, Plushy once showed a photo of his medal haul and his Worlds medals were tiny!

Hey sexist! The men might like a bouquet too! ;) :p

you don't bring me flowers anymore...

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
uhhhh who are the younger audience and casual viewers?
They still have taste. They are more picky and unforgivable for the lack of taste.

The ones who started to watch FS this year, for example, like my younger sister and her friends. They find the program amusing.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
I'm sad that it impacts the skaters directly, but, Chinese federation, this is karma right here.

Good lovely podium. I wish none of them retired.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Oh, ISU is finally giving skaters nice medals instead those tiny ones skaters have been receiving for like 10 years :thumbsup:

Nothing can top though plastic stars from French Grand Prix this season. And we thought that nothing can be funnier than ordinary plastic medals.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Those tiny medals were made of real gold, silver and bronze, and these new ones are not...

I guess that makes sense.... but winning comes with lots of sponsor money... so the value of the medal does not matter, really. It's gonna like you can easily sell if for getting intense hatred (I remember one Czech athelete selling his summer Olympics medal and the outrage he got... he might as well be caught killing babies and kitten and puppies...)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
You know - they didnt make that program to satisfy someones personal taste. It is just stupid to expect from skaters to do that. And i will defend anyones freedom to choose the music and style they wanted to. First, because that brings variety in the sport, and skaters should use that freedom to skate to any music and style existing in the world. And second, because choosing the music and style is not something which is telling how good skater you are, nor define your scores.

Sure, skaters should skate to what they want. But they should also expect that their choice may be criticized.

Look, I've been a member here how many years? And I have ALWAYS championed programs that are avant garde or take risks or are outside the traditional warhorse/mushy romance paradigm that still defines the vast majority of any pair/dance program. But I also believe a program should fit the style of the skater(s). T/M have a plethora of talent and qualities. What they don't have are flashy showboaty personalities (that we have seen so far) or the kind of sexual chemistry and sass that would make that program work. It's a complete mismatch of skaters and program. And their team should have realized it early on and dumped the program for something that would put a spotlight on the very qualities that T/M DO have.

If they don't have someone who will say The Emperor Is Naked, then that's a problem they should address.

nocturnalis

Medalist
Ah Baron finally a kindred spirit! :)

But seriously I really hope if T/M come back with a classical program people won't roll their eyes and be all "Oh gawd, a warhorse? BORING" because then I don't know what people want!

In other news the medal bearers look so pretty.

Aww T/M! Love you guys!
T/M programs are boring because they make them boring. If they interpreted just a teensy bit, then they would knock it out if the park everytime.

QuadThrow

Medalist
Thank god Aliona/Bruno have the record for total score now. The farce that was V/T's Sochi scoring has been buried now.

It's too bad there's no second half bonus otherwise they'd probably have the SP record too.

There has never been a second half bonuns in the SP. in 2014 the required lift was from group 5. That is why V/T´s WR is still alive.